Fuel/water seperater?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel/water seperater??

I know this has been discussed before , and for that i apologize , but I can't find the thread again and i lost my manual . Where is it located and how do I do it? My water in fuel light has been on for over a month now , and I want to do it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It is inside the frame rail kind of underneath the drivers door. It has a yellow knob on it.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:10 AM

For how long? Till it stops like the 6.4
Old 02-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Chug-a-lug!!!

I don't think it will stop. Just until the diesel is running clean and there is no water or trash in it.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty21 View Post
I know this has been discussed before , and for that i apologize , but I can't find the thread again and i lost my manual . Where is it located and how do I do it? My water in fuel light has been on for over a month now , and I want to do it.

Thanks
. If I remember correctly you open the yellow drain knob until the O ring is showing and drain for 25 seconds. I have never seen water in my fuel. I drain into a jar and let it sit overnight.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

Matt:

I think if you open it for a couple of seconds.....it should do it. Looks like the bowl holds 1/2 to 3/4 cups of ljquid. Might also be a good time to change the filter if you haven't done that yet...imho.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:50 PM

thanks guys.
i did it and it drained full flow so i left it about a minute,. it looked clear all along, so i closed it up, then the light came on again after an hour of driving. should i do it again? or is there a reset

also i changed the filter only 2000km ago, so.......?
Old 02-25-2012, 02:03 PM

In my experiences with making bio diesel, it should be pretty easy to see water in the fuel. I like the idea of draining it in a jar, if water is present, you should be able to see it after only a few min if it's not emulsified. If it is emulsified, we would drop some bio on a frying pan(hot plate) and if it popped, it had water(there's a little more to it than that, but its the short version) And, you should only have to drain about a quart or so. You only need to drain out what is in the "cup" if there really is water. The only reason I'm bringing this up is because I've heard this question being asked several times. I hope your water in fuel light is acting up. I walk on the bad side of town at midnight on a saturday night without fear, but water in fuel scares the hell out of me!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

All the horror stories I have heard about Ford not warrantying thousands of dollars worth of engine repairs because of poor fuel quality scares the crap out of me too. From what I have heard, as soon as the water in fuel light comes on Ford wants you to kill the truck immediately and have it towed to a dealer.

Not sure how many miles you have on your truck but I do know you have a lot of aftermarket go-fast parts so it may not matter one way or another.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

Matt:

I think you must have gotten a bad tank of fuel. For the light to come on again...I wouldn't want to risk ruining the fuel system...being they seem to be so sensitive to water contamination. To drain the unit for a full minute...must have been a significant amount of fuel you got out.

Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.