2011 engine block heater install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2011 engine block heater install

There has been much discussion about whether a 2011 or later Ford 6.7 diesel has an engine block heater installed at the factory. I can tell you that in my case it was not so, I decided to install a block heater on my 2011 F250, diesel. I decided I wanted the Ford factory products and found them on the internet from a dealer in Missouri. I paid about $135 for a Ford heater element and electrical cord, including shipping. I thought I would share some information and pictures about my experience in installing a block heater.
Overall, the job is fairly easy. Installing the heater element is simple but the cord takes more work if you try to duplicate the factory installation. I recommend removing the right front wheel and the wheel well liner. This makes the job so much easier. Also, just to be safe, cover the battery connection to the starter solenoid with something non-conductive. Do this after removing the wheel well liner; easy. I used duct tape; the handymanís secret weapon. Below is a picture of the heater element installed after removing the factory hole plug. The installed heater is in the center of the picture. This will give you an idea of where it is located while looking through the wheel well. Generally, it is located above the starter solenoid, just in front of the transmission on the engine block (of course).

2011 engine block heater install-wheel-well-view.jpg

You have to remove the factory hole plug before installing the heater. It is the plug that has a 9/16 hex socket. You will need a 9/16 hex bit that can be driven with a wrench. It might be possible to use an Allen wrench but the plug is installed fairly tight. I had to use a long handle wrench. The plug is threaded and just backs out. I crawled under the truck to loosen the plug and this made the job a little easier. The plug and the hex bit are shown below.

2011 engine block heater install-driver-plug.jpg

The heater element from Ford needs a 1-1/4 inch socket to install it. Have your heater element ready to install as you remove the plug and you will lose very little coolant. I lost only 4 ounces making the swap. You may be able to avoid buying more coolant but I bought more just in case. Cost: $23 a gallon; outrageous but it helps maintain warranty status of the truck. I suggest you put thread anti-seize on the threads of the heater element before putting in. Just a suggestion.

As I said before, I chose the Ford element and harness. Here is a picture of the harness, if you want to know what it looks like. I like the fact that Ford insulated the harness and added fasteners that plug into factory holes in the frame for a secure installation.

2011 engine block heater install-ford-harness.jpg

I completed the installation in 2 hours but I spent most of the time installing the electrical harness. Your installation does not have to take this long. Below is a picture of the cord plugged in to the heating element.

I have only used the block heater a couple of mornings as of this writing but so far it is doing its job. Good luck.

2011 engine block heater install-cord-plugged-.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Think it might be a geographical thing. My truck and all the 2011+ i looked at here in canada all had the factory blockheater.

Josh
Old 01-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdenlake View Post
Think it might be a geographical thing. My truck and all the 2011+ i looked at here in canada all had the factory blockheater.

Josh
I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to which trucks get block heater or where the trucks go. I bought my truck new in central Florida and it came with a factory block heater.....really.....what is the chances I will ever use that thing. On the flip side I have heard of guys buy a new truck in s Dakota and it didn't have a block heater. Crazy

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2012, 02:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I bought mine in Iowa, one of the states that Fords website says all trucks will include a block heater, and when I crawled under the truck, no block heater.

Good write up man! I might have to run up to the parts department where I bought my truck and pick one of these up
Old 02-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just picked up the parts to do this tomorrow. Thanks for the write-up! Looks pretty straight forward. It doesn't get super cold here in Reno, but it will be nice for it to warm up faster in the mornings.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD132 View Post
I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to which trucks get block heater or where the trucks go........
Agreed, just another way to make a lil more money........hell the dealership wanted to charge my buddy $500 for the harness and install on his rig
Old 02-10-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
Just picked up the parts to do this tomorrow. Thanks for the write-up! Looks pretty straight forward. It doesn't get super cold here in Reno, but it will be nice for it to warm up faster in the mornings.
only reason i installed the cord on my 06, and reason i ordered one on my 12... it doesnt get cold often here in Florida, and 30* on average when it is... but sure is nice to hop into the truck with an engine that is somewhat warm, plus who knows where I might go in the future.

also opted for the supplemental heater and heated seats as well... lol so block heater might not be all that important anymore
Old 12-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Where is the block heater cord located if mine does have it?
Old 12-13-2013, 02:16 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My '12 came with it and it was ready to go in the main open area in the front bumper just to the passenger side of the license plate bracket.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nice write up, and thanks, mine should be here Tuesday, getting down in the low teens here at night, can't wait to get it installed and see what kinda difference it makes. I bought a timer for it, how long before I am ready to leave she I have the block heater turn on? 2 maybe 3 hours?

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.