F450 fuel mileage??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F450 fuel mileage???

I am moving up to dual wheels for my new camper. The F250 GVWR is not enough plus I want the comfort of having extra tires under me.

I am test driving a F450 tonight the dealer has a great offer on. I would prefer a F350 and have time to order one but this 450 is a pretty good deal.

I see the 450 has 430 gears and I can get 373s on a 350. So, is the fuel consumption worth the time and effort?? I am guessing the 450 will do around 15.5 - 16 hiway empty?? I know what the 350 will do, , , 17 (maybe) I have a 250SRW.

Thanks
mowdoc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 02:40 PM

Yes....I see around 16 tops on the highway unloaded at 70 mph max.

I too was going to get a F350, but my dealership offered me a great deal on the 450, and I never looked back.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:41 PM

I posted up when I first got mine about how awesome the milage was. To be honest the the truck has good days and bad days.

I average about 15.5 going 70. I've seen 18 on a 30 mile trip going 65, and 13 doing the exact same trip same speed, no regen, both unloaded.

I get 6.5-8.5 pulling my toy hauler 70 mph. I just wish the mpg's would level off and I could give more accurate results.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:44 AM

If I get a decent head wind, all bets are off.

I can quickly go from 16 to 13 in these types of conditions.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I drove the 450 Wednesday night - nice truck!! I am driving another 450 and two 350 duallys tomorrow. The 450 I drove Wednesday is my fav as far as color and equipment but I am still thinking I may order a 350 as I want it. I think the fuel mileage will be worth the wait.

If you readers have input about the 350 dually mileage with 373 gears, I would love to hear it!!!

If you are interested, it seems the Las Vegas dealers are knocking off between 7 and 8 thousand from MSRP right now. That is 3 or 4 off sticker plus another 4k in rebates that Ford has going. I have been holding for the 10k the other thread says they are getting in Texas but so far no good here. I will save 3 grand off taxes if I stay in NV for the trade so I guess I need to stop haggling and make a deal on a truck!!! There are not many dual wheeled trucks on the lots to choose from here.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:51 PM

Good luck whatever you get, as long as it is a Ford!

When I purchased mine last year, dealer offered me around 10K off the sticker.

I was still on the fence about writing the check. Ford had a 0% interest at the time, and told them I would buy that day if I could get the 10K off plus 0% with Ford Credit. My sales guy went off to propose the deal.

I went to go find a Coke machine, and a service guy walked up to me and told me they would have my truck ready to deliver in 30 minutes. I told him I did not ink the deal yet. He said that the sales guy told him that I was going to buy.

A little peeved, I went back to the sales office, and told him about the conversation I just had.

"You said you would buy if I got the money off plus 0% financing, correct? Well, you got the deal you wanted...."

"Ohhh....okay. I did not think my offer would fly."

"Well, Ford Credit said you had great credit, and the dealership Finance Manager told them he had 4 F450 s on his lot and needed to move them."

The rest is history......sometimes it just works out to be the right timing.

Last edited by tjbrowder; 01-13-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:39 AM

This story is getting pretty good. I may have an F450 bought later today and you will love the story!!

I have been very picky about color and options which really limits the possibility for the local dealers. They will not do anything to help each other. In a 16 state area, there are two trucks I would buy, both are at a dealer I will not do business with. Another dealer I really like is doing some sneaky stuff to try and get one of these for me.

I'll let you know how it comes out after I make a deal. I should have a truck by Friday and possibly today. Looks like an F450 for sure. I guess I will just wait and see.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:14 AM

Hope it turns out for you.

Keep us updated!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:59 AM

Thanks tj, you have helped a lot.

I bought my second 6.7 yesterday.

I am still pinching myself about the price. Talk about being in the right place at the right time!! I was able to get a small war started between two dealers and ended up with 14k off the sticker!!! One dealer was not going to lose this deal at any cost. It was like an auction!!!

It took 6 hours at the dealer Saturday and another 4 hours yesterday but I got a loaded Lariat F450 home around 7:30 last night.

I only have about 30 miles on it and I am at work right now but I can tell a few things are different. It revs about 500 rpm higher at 65mph than my F250 with 355 gears did. This truck does not coast as well either, you lift and it slows. This truck sets about an inch lower than the 250 did. The speedo is the same liar as before showing 2mph slower than actual (GPS verified). I kinda figure the lieOmeter on the dash will be inaccurate too.

I really like the truck though and have no doubt about my purchase. I am sure it will be a stud when I get the 5er hooked up to it. I am planning to order a bed rug and soft folding Tonno cover today. Yea, I can't spell it but you know what I mean.

I will start a new thread later when I get time to announce the new truck. I don't even have a picture of this truck yet.

Later
mowdoc
Old 01-17-2012, 06:27 AM
PowerStrokin!!!!

They are knocking 12k off all 2012's here in Louisiana..

Spartanized
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.