Newb here, few questions about this truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newb here, few questions about this truck

I currently drive a 08' Tundra. Great truck but I need something in the 3/4 ton class. I have been contemplating either a F250 or a Ram 2500, both with diesels of course. I know the newer Cummins has its problems with the emissions crap and trannys. Just curious if you all could help me out and tell me anything about the new F250s? I am a bit hesitant due to the problems with the last two diesel engines in the Fords. I like the Ford better but like I said, just hesitant about the new engines and trannys. Also, could you tell me a little about maintenance? I like doing most everything myself, how possible is that with these trucks? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

60,000 +, no problems. I had a 6.0, had a few problems, 6,4, main gripe was mpg's, otherwise great truck. I have loaded this truck with a 8,500 lb bumper pull and pushed it hard through headwinds/mountains without an issue. That trip would have hurt the 6.0. I loaded it with a 16k f'ver and drove it 70-75 on two trips. The engine is a beast, the tranny hiccups every once in awhile, nothing really disconcerting... My economy is pretty much what I want to make it. At 1600 rpm you have 800 lbs torque. Keeping the engine in the range of 16-18 hundred rpm seems to give the most benefit. I have gotten 18mpg at 75 a few times, and have also got 15-17 mpg at 75...it seems mileage drops at 65+. Overall, truck is easily maintainable if you opt to do it yourself.

Comparitively, how does the Toyota do on mileage at identical speeds?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Rich, the more I look at these trucks the more I like them. The only fear I have is the emissions crap. I am trying to figure out if that would be covered under the engine warranty or what? Seems like it would be big money to get that stuff replaced.

Before I added 33's and a leveling kit to my Tundra, I was getting 20 on the highway and between 16 and 17 mixed driving. Now I get somewhere around 17hwy and 14 city. When I put my 30' Sunset Trail behind it the mpg's plummet to around 9. I feel my Tundra pulls it well but I just hate the feeling of getting passed by a semi and getting sucked over toward it. I do not experience sway at all, just that drifting feeling. One of the main reasons I am looking a heavier truck is to hopefully feel more planted and safer on long trips. The power will be nice though as well. I refuse to look at a GM so it is between the Ford or Dodge. Both are nice and seem to have their ups and downs. I know Toyota warranty issues suck, any experience with Fords?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Another note, I seem to get the same mpg towing our camper or the 16' utility trailer with two four wheelers. Its either all or nothing. I am also slightly over my GVWR with camper and gear all loaded up. Do the 20" rims on the F250 affect GVWR? The one I am looking at has a capacity of around 2080lbs according to the sticker on the door.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:42 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
The ford is a better built truck, the dodge (at least for now) has a more proven drivetrain. The ford has a LOT more amenities and available options as well (and a larger pricetag to boot). I'd get the ford, but I'm willing to be everyone on here would!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:06 AM

I would skip the 3/4 ton and get a F350 SRW. This is my first Ford and I am appreciating it more everyday. There have been some engine issues on these - mine had a problematic turbo that warranty looked after. In Alberta Canada you see allot more Fords on the road than Dodges yet the Dodge seems to be better value. They are cheaper to buy, yet on the resale market, they seem to fetch more. - My theory is that Ford offers the best fleet incentives so all the oil companies are buying Fords - running them for 2 or 3 years and flooding the market with used trucks. As well people are much more comfortable buying a used Cummins than Powerstroke. I bought the Ford and have no regrets.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
I would skip the 3/4 ton and get a F350 SRW. This is my first Ford and I am appreciating it more everyday. There have been some engine issues on these - mine had a problematic turbo that warranty looked after. In Alberta Canada you see allot more Fords on the road than Dodges yet the Dodge seems to be better value. They are cheaper to buy, yet on the resale market, they seem to fetch more. - My theory is that Ford offers the best fleet incentives so all the oil companies are buying Fords - running them for 2 or 3 years and flooding the market with used trucks. As well people are much more comfortable buying a used Cummins than Powerstroke. I bought the Ford and have no regrets.
DITTO; The F-350 has heavier duty components, rear end, and brake system. I paid $600.00 addtnl over the 3/4 ton when I ordered this truck. There are a lot of F 250's, fewer F 350 srw's. Resale might... be better...
Old 07-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

+1 for the F-350 for the price difference I do not think you can go wrong.
In British Columbia, Canada our lovely government charges a lovey 3% luxury tax on 3/4 trucks. So the switch to a 350 actually saved me money

Last edited by grmreaper; 07-28-2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-28-2011, 05:56 PM
The Warden

I think you will be happier with the F-350 runninng 3:55
Old 07-28-2011, 07:44 PM

I would say +1 on the 350, but I had to go for the 250 because of clearance reasons. My garage door is only 7ft tall, the f250 sits about 3" lower and will clear the door opening, the 350 wouldn't clear. A 250 will do just fine if you are able to get by with a tundra for now. Either way I'm sure you will be happy with the ford!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.