Oil Change Warning message - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Change Warning message

I had my first oil change a couple of months ago at 4700 miles. I now have 7000 on the truck with 1000 of those in 1 trip to TX pulling the toyhauler in 100+ degree weather. Probably 70% of the new miles have been pulling. The dealer sticker after the oil change says 9700 is when I'm due. I'm now getting a change oil message when I start the truck. Am I really due in less than 3000 miles or did they "forget" to reset something after the first oil change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
These 2011 trucks are very smart. They have what Ford calls an intelligent oil life monitoring system in the engine that monitors your driving habits. My dads 2007 Navigator has one too. Basically, it monitors how you drive the truck including how many starts, idle time, towing, hard acceleration, etc. and moniters temps and calculates when the oil should be changed. 5,000 miles is recommended under "normal conditions" but towing, idling, and lots of starting and stopping are not considered normal. My dad doesn't drive much but takes a lot of short trips (maybe 5 miles, lots of cold starting and stopping which is very hard on an engine, same for driving in the city all the time) and his "Change Oil" notification comes on around 3,000 miles. Even if the Ford Dealer tells you you don't need to change the oil, make them change it. The engine knows what it needs and it will add to its life in the end. I change the oil in my 2006 6.0 every 3,000. I do all city driving, lots of hard acceleration and idling at stop lights. I alsi use Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic. I haven'y had a single injector problem, turbo problem, or HPOP problem in 50,000 miles. I also add some Prolong Engine Treatment to every oil change. It's expensive but well worth it. $120 for a do it yourself oil change but new turbos and injectors are thousands!! Good luck with that 6.7.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 AM

I bet your dealer did not reset the oil life on the original oil change.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I went to ford to change my oil at 6xxx miles and the guy at the service desk said Fords recommended interval is 10,000 miles.

If it were based on driving conditions then I would have had to get it done a while ago. Very little of my driving is regular. I spend a LOT of time idling and the other time pulling dump trailers.

Last edited by s8v4o; 07-25-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:31 PM

You will never hurt your engine by changing the oil every 3,000 miles but you will definitely put a dent in your wallet. My advice is to send an oil sample in to Blackstone labs and get an analysis for $25.

I did that on my 2008 Cummins and found I could easily go to 10,000 miles between oil changes. And that was even factoring in that the Cummins 6.7 adds a fair amount of diesel to the oil because of how the regen works on it. The oil report showed that after 10,000 miles the build up of particulates and the amount of additives that remained in the oil were all well within acceptable limits. And that was using regular 15w-40 diesel oil and filters.

I plan on treating my new 6.7 Ford the same way. I put over 300K on the Cummins with zero issues.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:35 PM

awww heck..change the oil, make sure the oil life is rest. Better safe, than sori..sorri...surry..

.better than injector, turbo, other oil related issues...
Old 07-26-2011, 04:05 PM

I have had 3 oil changes now and nearing the fourth. Mine has went about 7100-7400 miles between the "Change oil" light comes on. I pull trailers, idle, city driving and occasional long trip empty so I figure that is about right. I changed the 6.0L every 5k but I didn't have the inteli-sensor on it, was just being safe.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpWildcat19 View Post
I had my first oil change a couple of months ago at 4700 miles. I now have 7000 on the truck with 1000 of those in 1 trip to TX pulling the toyhauler in 100+ degree weather. Probably 70% of the new miles have been pulling. The dealer sticker after the oil change says 9700 is when I'm due. I'm now getting a change oil message when I start the truck. Am I really due in less than 3000 miles or did they "forget" to reset something after the first oil change.
I Would say they didn't Reset the oil monitor! Your mileage is correct for the monitor to say it's time to change it since you changed it a little early....

Don't worry about it,If it was mine i would put about 5 to 7,000 miles on the oil before each change...

The way i see it most of the time we don't really get the good out of the oil,meaning it still is doing the job even at 10,000 Miles per change,But i like to take care of my motors and feel changen it out no later than 7,000 is a good Thing!

The way i see it you only have the 1,000 miles pulling the Toy hauler on that oil the rest of the driving really isn't hurting the Quality of the oil much,so I would put another say 3,000 miles on it then change it...

Just reset the monitor and keep track of your mileage so you Know when to change it,then Be sure to Reset the monitor at that change and you will be Good to Go!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by s8v4o View Post
I went to ford to change my oil at 6xxx miles and the guy at the service desk said Fords recommended interval is 10,000 miles.
Same here. Oil change at 6xxxx miles and 214 hours. Dealer say these engines can go 10,000 between changes but also said that every 200 hours is a better measure than miles for oil change intervals. The sticker they put on my windshield said 15,000 miles / 400 hours.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpWildcat19 View Post
Did your "change oil message" come on at 4700? I am not clear on this aspect regarding your post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.