Brakes - Need some Improvement? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 04:47 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brakes - Need some Improvement?

Had the truck for about 10 days now, put about 2,400 miles on it already. My only real complaint is the brakes, the 1 or 2 times where I have had to put my foot into it really hard I wasn't totally sure that I was going to stop in time. Neither time did I have a trailer in tow, or any load in the truck.

Truck is still bone stock. Didn't know if anyone else felt like the brakes on these trucks are a little under sized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think my truck stops better with a trailer than without. I am very impressed with the trailer brake control - but if your trailer brakes ever fail you are right - the truck's brakes do not match the rest of the its capability. (both wheel brakes and exhaust brake need improving)
Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 AM

Sadly I haven't had a "real" load behind the truck yet to even see. But your point about trailer brakes is a good one - I know some of my trailers need more frequent inspections (not by the DOT though).
Old 07-12-2011, 05:41 PM

This don't sound good specially with your F350 having the Better Brakes :~(

They are doing away with them on the 2012's...

maybe they aren't as great as everybody thinks ?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Premium Member

I tow about 20% of my driving time. So majority of the time it's just the truck. I think the brakes are great. I don't know what you're comparing them too. I've had maybe 4 emergency stops in the 25,000 miles I've got on mine and each time it's more than surpassed my expectations for slowing down an 8500lb truck.

Seeing as you've only had the truck 10 days and you've already "had your foot in it" twice. May I suggest just slowing down. The brakes are not undersized. They fill up an 18" wheel almost completely. The only thing they could make bigger is the caliper. Have you looked at your's yet? They told me that the brakes need about 500-1000 miles to "seat" together. Which makes sense, so I'd just give it a little bit.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mor4wd View Post
I tow about 20% of my driving time. So majority of the time it's just the truck. I think the brakes are great. I don't know what you're comparing them too. I've had maybe 4 emergency stops in the 25,000 miles I've got on mine and each time it's more than surpassed my expectations for slowing down an 8500lb truck.
There is a mountain pass that I tow over about once a year in BC Canada. Its about a 9% grade for 20 miles. With my 03 Duramax (which I would say was barely able to safely navigate the pass) I had to manually shift the transmission into 1st gear and the engine would rev to 5000 rpm. I haven't gone over the pass yet with the Ford but I am hoping the exhaust brake will hold my trailer back so I don't have to heat up the wheel brakes. According to the head to head, that Chevy put on, the Ford's brakes don't work so good once they get hot. I am 99% certain that the '11 Ford will be far superior to the '03 Duramax but strongly suspect it is not up to the same standard as the '11 GM or Dodge in the braking category.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:28 AM

mor4wd - I am sure I am little heavy with the go pedal, sometimes I'm even checking out the hot blonde in the low cut top in the lane next to me rather then looking ahead at the traffic that has stopped. It’s a trade off.

End of the day I am comparing this to my old 2006 F-250 CCLB, running 315/70/17 BFG A/T on stock wheels and brakes.

All in all, I am very happy with the truck, and I am sure I will get used to the service brakes taking a little longer to stop then expected.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 PM

I was doing a little research on CGI (compacted graphite iron). It seems one of it's first uses was for the braking system on high speed rail trains in Europe. These trains run 175+ and they found the rotors for the breaks weren't holding up to the heat. They tried CGI and it worked. So I wonder why nobody is making CGI rotors for these trucks?
Old 07-14-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nowlin View Post
I was doing a little research on CGI (compacted graphite iron). It seems one of it's first uses was for the braking system on high speed rail trains in Europe. These trains run 175+ and they found the rotors for the breaks weren't holding up to the heat. They tried CGI and it worked. So I wonder why nobody is making CGI rotors for these trucks?
Expense. You could have carbon ceramic discs like on a Porsche but do you want to spend $20k for a set of rotors? I don't.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:36 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Odd. Your brakes should be fabulous. Are you sure everything is working correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.