What's with th crapy tow mileage? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 07:40 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's with th crapy tow mileage?

Hey guys. I made my first long tow trip with the "scorpion" and I'm a little disappointed. I have a 2011 cc sb king ranch with 3:55 rears and 20" rims. I tow a 35' 9000 lb travel trailer. I went from connecticut to Maryland. @ 350 miles. It should be known that I have a mp8 and a bully dog gt tuner, that was set on tow, the mp8 was turned up all the way. I got 10 mpg!! I have a aux fuel tank in the bed 50 gals. The chevy had a titan tank in it. I know there is some weight difference. But I think I should have kept the duramax I had. Last year same trip I got 11.8 mpg with a PPe standard tuner set on 2. The chevy was a 2009 LMM. What is going on? I get 16.5 not towing with the Ford which I like very much. The chevy was at 15.9 mpg not towing. So it's better not towing which is 90% of the driving I do. I have a bed cover also on the truck which I had on the chevy too. The ford has 6800 miles on it now. Should I be pissed or is this pretty much what I should expect?? Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfuelstroke11 View Post
Hey guys. I made my first long tow trip with the "scorpion" and I'm a little disappointed. I have a 2011 cc sb king ranch with 3:55 rears and 20" rims. I tow a 35' 9000 lb travel trailer. I went from connecticut to Maryland. @ 350 miles. It should be known that I have a mp8 and a bully dog gt tuner, that was set on tow, the mp8 was turned up all the way. I got 10 mpg!! I have a aux fuel tank in the bed 50 gals. The chevy had a titan tank in it. I know there is some weight difference. But I think I should have kept the duramax I had. Last year same trip I got 11.8 mpg with a PPe standard tuner set on 2. The chevy was a 2009 LMM. What is going on? I get 16.5 not towing with the Ford which I like very much. The chevy was at 15.9 mpg not towing. So it's better not towing which is 90% of the driving I do. I have a bed cover also on the truck which I had on the chevy too. The ford has 6800 miles on it now. Should I be pissed or is this pretty much what I should expect?? Thanks for the input.

From the last issue of Diesel Mag that is about what they got too. So seems to be what to expect.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:26 AM

With mods? Recommend a tow w/o the mods and check. I pull a 16k f'ver and depending on the weight of my right foot get 9-12 w/o trouble. Was the trip rolling hills, or???
I would back out the mods on the next 'bunny hop' and check the mpg just because...it is the 'first generation' of mods, a little more 'fine' tuning may be ahead.
Or....slow down 5 mph, that seems to make the biggest difference...

35 gallons @ 10 mpg
29.66 gallons @ 11.8 mpg

"But I think I should have kept the duramax I had. " For $34.72, I would keep the amenities, the looks, the class, and not whine over $34.72 which makes you look... cheesy, tight, not fitting with driving a high dollar mac daddy truck...

Old 07-03-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richc22a View Post

"But I think I should have kept the duramax I had. " For $34.72, I would keep the amenities, the looks, the class, and not whine over $34.72 which makes you look... cheesy, tight, not fitting with driving a high dollar mac daddy truck...
LMAO
Heck I wouldn't have kept the Durapad even for $100 more....anyhow,bone stock @25,000 mi towing 11,000 lbs 28ft/5fer gets 13.1 mpg
Check the air pressure in your tires as well and go easy on the right foot
Old 07-03-2011, 03:15 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the replys. I will try it stock on the way home in 2 weeks. I do love the new truck and all the bells it has over my chevy. Also it rides better,has more room for the kids too. My wife doesn't like it as much as the chevy though . But she also doesn't drive it much. But when she did last week she said "dam it goes good".anyway thanks for the info I will post again when I get home after the trip..
Old 07-03-2011, 06:18 PM

I've got a 2010 GMC and a 2011 King Ranch. Fuel economy, performance and handling go to the GM. Comfort, quality of material and in cab features goes to Ford.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:11 PM

There is a bit of comfusion regarding these trucks. The inflation pressure shown on the door post is 65# for the trucks with the 20 inch Michellins. If you call Michellin and talk with them they will recommend 80# when towing that much weight. The tires will run cooler and fuel economy will increase over running 65#. Not saying for sure that is the case here but some have towed pretty heavy with these trucks running 65#.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:21 PM

Thats Good stuff Dave!

Also Note that you should Adjust the air pressure when the tires are cold,when possible..
Old 07-04-2011, 12:17 PM

Tire pressure

Hey guys. I wanted to tell you when on that trip towing,before I left I adjusted the air pressure to 70 psi all around. If figured that it would expand to about 75 while driving that far. So I think the air pressure is not the issue. I'm going to try putting it back to stock on my way home. That sucks though not as much extra power when hitting the hills. I think I will slow down about 5 mph as I was doing 70 mostly all the way to Maryland. With it back to stock and the 5 mph decrease I'll see how that is.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:15 PM

Michellin would tell you to run 80# all the way around for best towing capacity (axle rating), handling & fuel economy. That means 80# cold inflation pressure. If you run lower pressure you will shorten the tire lfe. These tires aren't cheap. You will also find if you will stay at 65 or below it will work wonders with your fuel economy. Another thing to consider is your trailer tires. If they are true trailer like those that come from the factory and you check the sidewalls, you will see that they are only rated for 65 m.p.h. Driving 70 and hot pavement can lead to disaster. Tires go boom!!!

Last edited by Dave Nowlin; 07-04-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.