Tires for beach??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tires for beach???

Okay, got me a new rig. Now to get tires & rims! I tow a 5th wheel in soft sand (Pismo, Ca.)So Im looking for a load range E tire with high floatation capacity {hard to find, let me tell yeh}. I may have found what Im looking for- BF Goodrich LT325/65R18E. Its new, just came out not to long ago. Has anyone tried to mounting this tire to 18 rim and does this fit F-350 Super-Duty 2011 with no lift (stock height)? What back spacing is needed for this rim set up? Will I need to install a leveling kit (2.5) for the front coil spring? Local shops have not even seen this tire yet. They just dont know if this will work. Dont need to buy $2,500.00 worth of tires to find out this wont work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got technical info for you guys & girls. LT325/65R18E 12.79 wide with a side wall 8.316932 on a 18 rim, load range of E. The overall height of this tire is 34.6.The stock tires for a F-350 Super-Duty 2011 is LT275/65R20E which works out to 34.1 tall and 10.82 wide. So by replacing the stock tire with BF Goodrich LT325/65R18E I would gain 1.96"in tread with & .55 in height. Thinking this set up would look good and perform very well. Any help on this would be great.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You want go wrong with the BFG's specially for the money!

I have a Couple friends Running them and they Love Em!

Some will say they are great but not on rodes with rocks but i see all tires picking up rocks ,hell even my Bridgestones chipped up the side of my Lil' red Chevy and they where stock size? it looked like the chips were from when the tires were turned outward if ya follow... so any tire will do this...

BFG's look good and ride good Wear as good as any! now the question is white Letters out or in LOL most My friends and my self like them Out....
Old 07-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I wouldn't go with BFG's, they are way too pricey. I'd go with some Nitto Dune Grapplers. They are designed specifically for sand!
Old 07-02-2011, 09:43 PM

That size tire would work great for the sand!

I don't know how they will fit with no lift though, I run the same size tire in a Procomp Extreme A/T with a 5" lift and they are a great tire! I got 65k mi. out of my first set and am now on my second set.
And they are E-rated.

And I do Pismo Beach also!

Last edited by GregsSD; 07-02-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

Dune Grapplers are only rated for sand and road. They aren't good in wet or icy conditions. He wants a true all around tire that is good for sand as well. "Playing the sidewall game" Thought you already had this figured out J?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't go with BFG's, they are way too pricey. I'd go with some Nitto Dune Grapplers. They are designed specifically for sand!
I Don't Know about those Dune Grapplers? We have a Guy at work with a Set on his F250 C/C SB and i was looking at them the other day :~( he hasn't had them on that long and they look Half way shot No Joke.... I'm gonna ask him how many miles he has on them and how he likes them when i see him at work.... They do Look Good but tires to me are more than about looks :~)

BFG's aren't that bad $$$ You get what ya pay for thats for sure!
Old 07-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Serving Our Country!

Lead....let us know what kind of mileage he has into those tires. Also anyway you could take a pic of the tread and let us see what it looks like after xxx amount of miles...thanks !
Old 07-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorsrock19 View Post
Dune Grapplers are only rated for sand and road. They aren't good in wet or icy conditions. He wants a true all around tire that is good for sand as well. "Playing the sidewall game" Thought you already had this figured out J?
Why would you say they aren't good in wet conditions? They seem to hook just fine in the wet. Not sure about ice, because we never have icy roads in Alabama. I wouldn't think he would have many issues with ice on Pismo Beach.

And where did he say he needed a true all around tire? If he wanted an all around tire, I woulda said go for the Nitto Terra Grapplers. But no, he simply said he got a new rig, and he tows a 5th wheel in the soft sands of Pismo Beach, and wants a tire that will be safe in the sands.

The Dune Grapplers are built for his exact situation.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorsrock19 View Post
Lead....let us know what kind of mileage he has into those tires. Also anyway you could take a pic of the tread and let us see what it looks like after xxx amount of miles...thanks !
I'll get with him when i see him, he's on a Different shift than myself but i see him all the time and he's a pretty cool guy to boot I'm sure he will be glad to fork over the info on the tire,and I would like to know for myself... I have a Digital camera that takes great pictures

I'll let ya know one way or the other!

His truck is Nice! it's Silver and has a Little Bull emblem on it ? maybe you guys seen that before I'm not sure what the year is but the truck it's self is Nice maybe an 06? The Bull emblem looks factory ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.