When to do 1st oil change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 02:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When to do 1st oil change

I have 1200 miles on my truck. I know many of you will say to change the oil only when the computer tells you but I think I would like to change it before that.
Question is, when?
Does anyone run a synthetic oil? If yes, which one? any experience with Valvoline Premium Blue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would not run synthetic until you had at least 10k miles on your truck. I change my oil every 4k, but I get my synthetic oil at cost though. I use Mobile Delvac 5w40 year round. Whatever you use it must be CJ4 rated.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First oil change at 5000km. Lots of junk rattles loose in the engine. So its better to do the first one early. And synthetic after 30,000km
Old 07-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
In a brand-new engine/fresh rebuild.... I would say 1-2000 miles.

And you should be fine to switch to/from synthetic whenever you want. Synthetic is just a better quality oil. Still oil.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:35 PM
The Warden

I was going to go with computer,but when I got to 5000 miles,it started bothering me too much,so i changed. Using rotella T6 5w40(full synthetic).I'm going to do a oil analysis at 5000 with the T6 to see whats going on.I have never used a synthetic before. The oil analysis was suggested to me by Mor4wd. As I understand the only advantage to synthetic is that it may run a little cooler
Old 07-01-2011, 08:26 PM

I'm with Term3 But I would go twice as long before i went with synthetic....10,000k on a Gasser,and around 20,000 to 25,000 on a Diesel....Diesels take way longer than a Gasser to break in and i usually feel the gasser is broke in around 9,000 to 10,000K my last 6.2 gasser you could tell it was broke in at 9,000 by the MPG and the way it ran :~) sweet....

How you use the truck has a Lot to do with it also! I Drive the Hell out of Mine LOL Power brake all kinds of stuff :~) which speeds up the break in time...But My motors seem to like it... never any issues with Blow by or usen oil,Motors always Run strong.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes you got a point there about break-in milage for diesels. Also keep in mind that some synthetics don't swell the seals as well as regular oil so if you use synthetic oil too soon you may have more oil weepage.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:39 PM

My "change oil soon" light just came on for the first time - 7000 miles. I popped the hood for the first time today and checked the oil level - it was half way between add and full - so assuming it was at the full mark when I bought the truck it does't seem to be using much oil. I am thinking I will go with Amsoil synthetic right away. I pull up to 40,000 lbs combined truck and trailer so that likely got her broke in in a hurry.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
My "change oil soon" light just came on for the first time - 7000 miles. I popped the hood for the first time today and checked the oil level - it was half way between add and full - so assuming it was at the full mark when I bought the truck it does't seem to be using much oil. I am thinking I will go with Amsoil synthetic right away. I pull up to 40,000 lbs combined truck and trailer so that likely got her broke in in a hurry.
7,000 miles and you never checked you oil????

Old 07-03-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
7,000 miles and you never checked you oil????

Nope. Never even looked at the engine. Actually I never really looked at the engine today either - just enough to find the dip stick. I guess when I change the oil I'll have to look it over hard enough to find the oil filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.