6.7 vs 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 vs 7.3

for all you new 6.7 owners that have had a 7.3 before, wold you trade your 6.7 for a brand new 7.3?

i have just bought a new 6.7 f350 and love this truck. it will do things that i never thought it would. i have about 9000 miles on it.

still have my 01 f350 7.3. i wouldnt trade that truck for anything. it has 130,000 on it now and runs like new. i like both trucks but i would take a new 7.3 anyday over any truck so far. just wondering what everyone else thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What is it you like better about the 7.3? Are you talking specifically the engine or the entire '01 truck over an '11?
Old 06-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I sold my 2002 F350 7.3 to buy a 2011 F350 6.7. I loved my 7.3, which was the best Powerstroke ever,but there is no comparison to the 6.7. The 6.7 has more power, tows better, is smoother and quieter. Part of the issue with the 7.3 was getting power to the ground with the automatic. With the 7.3, even with a DP tuner chip, the trans was always searching for the right gear (I live in the mountains at 8800', and tow a 4 horse trailer and a 31' camper). The 6.7 can tow anything, anywhere without breaking a sweat.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i sold my '00 7.3 to buy the new 6.7- every thing is better with the 6.7. the 7.3 was great- still is as my friend who bought it loves the truck. it was modded and the 6.7 is still quieter, more powerful, and more comfortable. Ford really put some effort in the new trucks that I think has paid off.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:10 PM

have both...99 F350 XLT drw 4x4, just bought a 450 4x4 upgraded Lariat both crew cabs

hmmm, might save the 450 to go to church....it is just way to nice to use it like I use the 350

I'm just so use to driving the 350, 12 yrs old and 225,000 miles, kinda like the ole lady.....you just know what to expect. Not saying a new lass aint fun. They sure are pretty these days.... that and everything is still nice n tight
Old 06-15-2011, 06:06 PM

i mentt the entire 99 through 03 7.3. thers no doubt that the 6.7 is better but i hope it has the long reliability of my 7.3
Old 06-15-2011, 06:30 PM

I doubt any new diesel will have the reliability of the 7.3 to many parts including the emissions stuff and these trucks make alot more power which means more wear and tear.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:18 PM

Had two 7.3's with the last one running a Banks Power Pack. Love the new 6.7 pulling my 16k 42 ft. tow hauler (16k loaded down) with the six speed trans. Pulls like a dream, great off the line (F-350 dually) but does equal the power of the 7.3 with the Banks set-up... not even close.....when accelerating on the Freeway...
Old 06-17-2011, 12:34 AM

...isn't this like asking if you would take your ex wife back if she had plastic surgery? Good memories...some minor problems, put some miles on her, rode hard, put away wet type of things. Answer, heck no!!! She may have been great at the time, but she is stuck in her time... her tranny wasn't that hot.....every once in a while, you had to change her cam sensor so would be able to get with the program...but she was the best at that point in my life, She took everything I gave her, I beat her, loaded her up, and in the end, she gave her all protecting me. In retrospect would I take her back?? nah....nope...don't think so...

Now here I am, with a unit that has more to offer. Younger, fresher...heck I can even pour uretha fluid in her and she's happy!!! I loved my 7.3, but times have changed...we've grown apart...
I'll keep the 6.7... (for now...)

Old 06-17-2011, 05:17 AM

Don't get me wrong, I love my 6.7 but pulling a heavy load the 6.7 runs about 15 lbs of boost where my 7.3 ran 5. The new 6.7 is far superior for handling and creature comforts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.