Rear end sways a lot at cruising speeds... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear end sways a lot at cruising speeds...

Coming from a 2008 F250 SD to my 2011 F250 SD it seems that the rear end on the newer truck seems to sway much more. At highway speeds the 2008 seemed WAY MORE STABLE. I'm not sure if the 2008 had a rear sway bar or not but the 2011 sure doesn't. Obviously is even more exaggerated when pulling my full dump trailer. Just trying to keep it between the lines seemed to be difficult unless the road was super straight. Once I felt I was close to one side of the lane and tried to compensate, by the time I could feel the changes I felt like I was overcompensating.

I had the 2008 for another week or so after getting the 2011 so I was able to do back to back runs down the highway for a comparison. The difference was not just noticeable, but it was night and day difference. I did notice the 2011 doesn't have a rear sway bar. I'm unsure if my 2008 had one though. Has anybody else experienced this? Does anybody know I can make a 2010 rear sway bar work on my 2011 without too much trouble? Would a rear sway bar help out a lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes sway bars help out a lot. I have them on my 00' from the factory but wanting to go thicker.
Shouldn't be much trouble and I'm sure they make kits.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:34 AM

I doubt if a sway bar alone can account for the difference you're seeing. Does the new truck have a different brand of tire? Did the old truck have heavier ply tires? What about air pressure differences? Other than a sway bar, does one rig have a heavier rated suspension than the other one? You may also want to check toe-in on the front end, that can make the rig "hunt" in the ruts on the road and give it that sway feeling.

Is the wheel base of both rigs the same and are the hitches mounted in the same exact places? Just wondering if the trailer is swaying more with one setup versus the other?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
Yes sway bars help out a lot. I have them on my 00' from the factory but wanting to go thicker.
Shouldn't be much trouble and I'm sure they make kits.
I've looked but apparently all the kits are for 2010 and lower trucks. I still have yet to find anyone selling ones for the 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Trucker View Post
I doubt if a sway bar alone can account for the difference you're seeing. Does the new truck have a different brand of tire? Did the old truck have heavier ply tires? What about air pressure differences? Other than a sway bar, does one rig have a heavier rated suspension than the other one? You may also want to check toe-in on the front end, that can make the rig "hunt" in the ruts on the road and give it that sway feeling.

Is the wheel base of both rigs the same and are the hitches mounted in the same exact places? Just wondering if the trailer is swaying more with one setup versus the other?
Wheels = both 20's
Tires = both the same size Michelins
Tire pressure = approx 70 psi both vehicles
Wheel base = the same
Toe = I hope I wouldn't have to check toe on a vehicle that has less than 3000 miles on it and hasn't been curbed or anything.

Trailer aside, it is noticeable even without a trailer. I know the guy who has the 2008 and I'm going to see if he can take a pic of the rear to see if it has a rear sway bar or not.

Last edited by s8v4o; 06-13-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:12 PM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

Somethings not right here. Is the 2011 new off the lot, or did you buy it used?
Old 06-14-2011, 04:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticblu999 View Post
Somethings not right here. Is the 2011 new off the lot, or did you buy it used?
Brand spanking new, I drove it off the lot.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:15 AM
Premium Member

I wouldn't think a sway bar would account for what you're describing. I don't know how one feels without it though. My 08 didn't have one but it was a Super Cab Short Bed. If you think it'll help order the one for the '11 from the dealer. It comes with the package for the camper prep.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah I'll have to swing by ford and see if they have one in stock. I wonder if a bad/weak set of rear shocks would cause this? When I shake/rock the truck back and forth while it's parked the front seems to stabilize faster than the rear.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:02 PM

I would definitely have the dealer check everything over before I started adding sway bars. My 2011 has the camper package with the sway bars. Where I noticed the most improvement is the reduction of side-to-side sway when cornering or in a heavy crosswind. Not much difference at all with trailering. My 2008 towed about the same and without any sway bars.

You would think that getting the toe-in set wouldn't be an issue on a new truck, but when I was Ford tech rep I saw units come out of the factory off by more than 1/2".............
Old 06-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

helwig is coming out with sway soon for the '11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.