Need some advice 18s or 20s? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some advice 18s or 20s?

So...I've narrowed my wish list down for my next truck. I will go F350 - Diesel - CCLB - Lariat - ingot silver two tone.
#1.) If you have a pic of a truck like this...please share! I love seeing them. They are hard to find...I may have one built to my specs...
#2.) Would you go 18" or 20" wheels, and why?
#3.) 3.31 or 3.55 (I think you can only get 3.55 with 20s...right)? And why you'd select that ratio?

Is the factory spray in liner nice? Comments on it?
Does the FX4 package affect ride quality?
I live in the snow belt - lake effect. So, I am contemplating supplemental cab heater...worth it?

Thanks for helping with any of this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I myself like the 20s with 35" tires or 22 with 37 tires it looks clean that way. I have 3:31 gears and mileage isnt to bad unless Im pulling somthing really heavy. Even then its about 10mpg.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:07 PM

I would go with the cab heater my friend has it on his f150 and it's amazing, like instant heat. So even if you have to wait for the truck to warm up you can sit and be warm.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:33 PM

18s mean cheaper rubber. Personally i like 20s. Im getting decent mileage with 3.55 gears. 16L/100km. But my truck only has 2800km on it. I live in Central Alberta Canada and the supplemental heater isnt worth it. All it is is for warm air to the cab. Personally id spend the money and get either a Espar or Wabasto diesel engine heater for the winter months. Your truck will thank you when you have one and starting it in -30C
And Ive also got the FX4 Package. Ride is exceptionally smooth. But thats gonna end for me soon. Skyjacker 6" lift will ruin that lol
Old 06-12-2011, 02:44 PM

Ucpa111,

I have the factory spray in liner and it is nice, but i havent abused it too much but it seems pretty stout.

As far as the FX4 suspension, the ride was smooth as mentioned but I only had it on for 1500 miles before the lift went on but it was a nice suspension.

I have the 3.55s on mine and it had 18s stock. Gearing is good for the stock setup.

Hope this helps with your decision.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:15 PM

If you are going to keep the stock wheels. Go for the 20" and the 3:55
tires for the 18" will be a little cheaper and there are more choices. But I think the 20" look a little nicer.

If you do any towing or heavy hauling at all, Get he 3:55 the difference in mpg is minimal. I get 20-22 mpg empty on the hiway, Around 12 mpg towing.

The Rapid Heat isn't going to warm up your engine faster. But it does help take the chill off the cab faster than waiting for the engine to warm up. I think it's worth what it cost. Plus it comes with the Heavy Duty Alternator.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:27 PM

Go with the 20s...tires are more expensive but looks way hotter !! The rapid heat is well worth the money IMO
Good luck
Old 06-13-2011, 08:19 AM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

The 20s look way better, and I love the Michelins that come on them. The 18s just look cheap and the tires are tiny compared to the 20" tires.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:26 AM

So, go with 20's if you don't mind spending more money for tires that you are getting just for looks. There is little or no difference in performance or tire wear. Keep in mind too if you get 18's and then want a taller tire to fill the wheel wells, you can do that.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:18 AM

Without question get the rapid heat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.