Any better? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any better?

I bought my first Ford about a year ago a 2009 F550. I love the truck but am hating this 6.4. I have always had Dodges and still have one. The 6.7 Cummins has NEVER gone into regen the 6.4 went into it every 40 miles today. My question is, is the 6.7 any better? I am so torn on what to do, I hear the deletes are useless on a CC. I thought Fummins it but thats a lot of $$$. Get a new F550 with the 6.7 or go back to Dodge and get a 5500. So is the 6.7 any better? how does it drive? how often does it regen? how is MPGs (for a 5500)? What is the overall feeling on these motors? Especially in the chassis cabs.

If it helps the truck is used to haul boats local and long distance weights anywhere for 5k-20k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I guess the new motor is no better???
Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 PM

um... not gonna lie... i love powerstroke people but the day my heart can let go of my pos powerstorke (or my wallet runs dry from repairs) i will go cummins.... the tried and true 5.9 is the toughest diesel motor on the market... u have people driving 1000 hp 5.9's everyday with stock short block... all lowers stock thats crazy if people tried to do this with a ford it would break everyday and cost insane amount of money and probly crack the block in two along with throw rods and crack pistons... those cummins motors are tough as snot so i would put my money that the new ones set aside all the emmissions bs are just as tough as its previous motors.. but thats my 2 cents.. given this is a powerstroke forum and i dont own a 5.9 to tlk on a cummins forum there will probly be alot of people who dissagree with me...
Old 06-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I traded in an '08 for my 2011 6.7 and can tell you it is night and day different. WAY better!! You'll love it!!

Mark
Old 06-11-2011, 07:53 PM

I just got rid of a 2008 Dodge with the 6.7 Cummins and got the new 2011 Ford 6.7. Even though I towed heavy it regenned just as often as the Ford does.

In my opinion the pulling power of the new Ford versus the 6.7 Cummins is similar, maybe a slight edge to the Ford.

There is no comparing the exhaust brakes though, the Cummins works like a dream and will hold back a very heavy towing setup on the steepest grades in the Colorado mtns without ever touching the foot brake. The Ford exhaust brake doesnt even seem to work until the motor hits about 3,100 rpms. You can still manage the downhill grades safely but you have to go slower and work a little more. This is my only real disappointment with the truck

On the other hand, there is no comparing the interior look/feel/comfort and the overall ride quality, handling and noise suppression of the Ford versus the Dodge. The Ford has the Dodge beat by a mile IMHO in those categories.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Don't the f550 chassis cab come with a detune engine? As far as the dodge 5.9 I traded my 06 in on this truck and the only thing I liked better on the dodge was the turning radius. Oh and it was a dodge so I didn't mind driving around the hunting lease and getting it scratched up this truck is to nice.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If Fiat (Dodge, Ram, or whatever name they are now) trucks are so good, why do people switch from the brand and buy a Ford?

Before I bought my truck, I looked at the GM's and Dodge. One of the reasons I bought the 6.4L was all of the development by Ford and Navistar that went into the 6.4L. I could have bought a Ford 6.7L but chose 6.4L because I know that Navistar produces reliable motors and they themselves admit that 6.4L motor will be the most reliable motor they have ever produced. Additionally, after GM and Dodge took my money from the Government and then declared bankrupsy, I personally have a hard time supporting those companies. Neither company has paid back the money owed (GM has outright lied saying they have).

If the Cummins motor works for you, by all means buy another Dodge. Based on the Cummins forums, those trucks have many of the same issues as Fords and GMs. I personally don't think you'll go wrong buying a Ford, a Dodge, or a GM. All three companies produce reliable motors. It's whether or not you can stomach the thought of supporting the other two companies that went to the government for handouts knowing they were going to stick it to you and me and not pay back the money.

Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever route you take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.