Emission equipment - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Emission equipment

My dad plans on buying a 6.7 but since def freezes around 12 degrees he is concerned. Obviously the tank isnt going to explode but how long will it take for it to thaw out? That would be a burden if you fire it up and try to go only to be in limb mode because the def is frozen. Also a cat on a diesel is considered a dpf correct? And this truck still has an egr right? To much stupid ****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Banned

No a cat is not a DPF.

Quote:
Diesel Exhaust Fluid is subject to freezing at the lowest temperatures. For example, Diesel Exhaust Fluid (made up of a 32.5% urea solution) may freeze at temperatures at or below 12 F. Although this temperature is encountered in colder climates during the winter season, it has not proven to be a problem for SCR-equipped trucks. Freezing does not impact its functionality and Diesel Exhaust Fluid is easily thawed within moments by the warmth of the engine.

Some automotive-grade urea producers are working on non-freezing additives and technologies. In the meantime, equipment systems are being developed and will be used to ensure that Diesel Exhaust Fluid thaws quickly. In fact, the EPA sees no problem in allowing it to reheat in the morning using the warmth of the engine when the truck is started.

While freezing may be touted as one of the bigger concerns with SCR technology, there have been no problems with freezing based on winter reliability and growth tests across Canada and North America. Furthermore, freezing has not been an issue among Northern European fleets in countries like Norway.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:25 PM

So does the 6.7 have a cat and a dpf? After reading about the urea system and stuff it says that the urea is injected in mixing with the nox then all of it runs through a cat where separation occurs and ammonia and water come out the other side. Does this then run through a dpf?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the system is quite the mess if you ask me, i say DELETE DELETE DELETE and enjoy a real diesel
Old 06-03-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan572 View Post
So does the 6.7 have a cat and a dpf? After reading about the urea system and stuff it says that the urea is injected in mixing with the nox then all of it runs through a cat where separation occurs and ammonia and water come out the other side. Does this then run through a dpf?
they have it all, cat dpf def muffler , all of it. but no it wont freeze theres a tank heater
Old 06-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

In my area we get to -30 periodically during the winter. I have never had any problem with the DEF freezing in my 2011 F350. I plug in the truck at night, but not all of the time. The new 6.7's handle the cold much better than my 2002 7.3 did. I would not remove the emmissions stuff unless you want to risk voiding the warranty on a very expensive engine.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:42 PM

DEF tank has 4 heaters and it also has 4 line heaters. Don't worry about the cold.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:42 PM

Ok cool. Will the def tank still heat up when the truck isn't plugged in? If it sat to long in the cold heating the tank i would think the batteries would die. Usually my dad doesn't plug it in because 95% of the time it is in a heated garage.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan572 View Post
Ok cool. Will the def tank still heat up when the truck isn't plugged in? If it sat to long in the cold heating the tank i would think the batteries would die. Usually my dad doesn't plug it in because 95% of the time it is in a heated garage.
it won't heat if the truck isn't running.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin G View Post
it won't heat if the truck isn't running.
Ok then back to my main question. How long does the truck have to sit and run before the urea tank thaws enough to provide full power? Just to clarify, the urea tank heats while it is running and plugged in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.