Just what we need...another MPG question! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just what we need...another MPG question!

Ok, probably a stupid question, but am about to $48K on a truck and want to try and under if this is an issue or not.

Want a new f250 bad!!! and trying to use improved mileage over a gasser to help rationalize the spend. I say rationalize because I can't really justify the diesel...really don't tow too much.

I've driven several and really want a CC Lariat (White w/ two tone tan and black interior is what I want the most). Found a great white twotone with an April build - 3.55 gears and 20" wheels.

When test driving, I was paying close attention to the fuel meter and was about what I expected...13/15 in traffic....getting up to 60 and setting cruise, seemed to have a hard time staying above 18. Good enough I guess, but then I test drove a different color and interior setup. Essentially same truck 3.55, but with 18" wheels.

When driving the truck w/ 18" wheels, the fuel gauge seemed to just climb faster and stay higher during the same test ride stretch.

The test ride was very short, though and the above was not done very scientifcally at all. Just trying to understand if mileage variance among the 6.7 is significant.

Should one expect two truck setup the same way to yeild the same mileage in the same conditions?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
really don't tow too much.
Question Is How Much Weight do you tow when You Do?

If it's under 10,000 lbs ,i would Look at the Half ton truck with the new Eco Boost motor!

FYI I seen a Eco Boost at the local dealer and The MSRP was $40,000 Just to give you a idea of the cost,Can't remember what all it had on it But it was a Nice truck!
Old 05-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I asked the dealer to adjust my speedometer because it was off 6mph at 80, he told me that all ford vehicles allow for a 6% variance in the speedometer. Maybe this is why one truck shows better mileage than the other.

350 longbed with about 400lbs always in the bed I get an average of 14.8 and the best was 15.8 highway.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:14 PM

#1.) How are you finding a CC diesel lariat (new I assume?) for $48K?
#2.) I wish you luck! I really want one of these diesels....just trying to assess what people's experiences are first. So, your input in this forum helps.
#3.) I wish someone like consumer reports would do some tests of these trucks with different rear end ratios....I'd love to see some scientific data (impartial) on the mileage performance.
Thanks!
Old 05-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 1/2 ton now, and you are right...no plans to tow anything over 10k, so a 1/2 ton would be fine. I traded my 01 7.3 off on for the f150 I have now when diesel got .60 higher than gas(soon after I moved to IL from TN). The F150 is a great truck, but regretted getting rid of my 01 diesel ever since and have wanted one bad! to scared of the 6.0 and 6.4s tho.

We need a new family vehicle...SUVs cost just as much and hate 'em ne way and no truck has the room and comfort of the f250...that is real seller for me is the space.

Seems the f250s are not moving now, so have more than one dealer at almost $1000 under invoice(another dealer thru in his entire hold back $17xx) before the 3500 in rebates(incl financing one). Truck stickers for just under $58k and got a deal for 48750...about 16% of list price..still profit in that number I'm sure.

I guess it's pointless to spend nearly $50k on a truck and then complain about mileage, but I'm sure that's exactly what I'll do.

thanks!
Old 05-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

on other thing...verify me...

I would think all things equal(driving conditions, habits, etc) that 3.55 gears with 20" wheels would have better mileage than 3.55 gears with 18" wheels, right?
Old 05-14-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwaterdogs View Post
on other thing...verify me...

I would think all things equal(driving conditions, habits, etc) that 3.55 gears with 20" wheels would have better mileage than 3.55 gears with 18" wheels, right?
I know what you are saying the taller tire will actually lower the gear but the truck sits up higher and the wheels weight is more. I believe the guys with 331s and 18 are seeing the best mileage empty.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:11 PM

My personal opinion is that a taller tire will require more energy to motate than a shorter one, and the taller gears, tires will require more energy to get off tdc and maintain a speed. The advantage would be in a positive enviroment, tailwind, down hill, then the taller ratios would generate more mpg.
Like I said, personal opinion...if you baby it, do not want/need to take off quick, a taller ratio might be a good thing... otherwise, I like the 3.55's with 18's, kinda a middle of the road compromise.

Just an opinion...
Old 05-14-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwaterdogs View Post
I have a 1/2 ton now, and you are right...no plans to tow anything over 10k, so a 1/2 ton would be fine. I traded my 01 7.3 off on for the f150 I have now when diesel got .60 higher than gas(soon after I moved to IL from TN). The F150 is a great truck, but regretted getting rid of my 01 diesel ever since and have wanted one bad! to scared of the 6.0 and 6.4s tho.

We need a new family vehicle...SUVs cost just as much and hate 'em ne way and no truck has the room and comfort of the f250...that is real seller for me is the space.

Seems the f250s are not moving now, so have more than one dealer at almost $1000 under invoice(another dealer thru in his entire hold back $17xx) before the 3500 in rebates(incl financing one). Truck stickers for just under $58k and got a deal for 48750...about 16% of list price..still profit in that number I'm sure.

I guess it's pointless to spend nearly $50k on a truck and then complain about mileage, but I'm sure that's exactly what I'll do.

thanks!
For a family vehicle i will say the new f150 i think 09 and up have more room in a cc then the superduty. my dad has a 10 cc f150 and his back seat is huge. look at the new 11 with an eco boost, that motor runs and gets great milage. i took one out the other day and if i didn't tow over 10k i would have one in a heart beat.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just checked dimension on f250 versus f150 SC. I was surprised to see the measurements very similar...a little more leg room in the f150 rear by an inch or so!!!

The 250 wins with hip room in the front, specs show a 7" difference....which I do notice.

I have an 04 and then you couldn't get a 6.5' bed...I see that now you can! that was one of my bigger complaints...couldn't put my 4wheeler in the back and shut the tailgate.

So, my two issue may not be an issue now (rear room and and bed size)...I guess I better take a closer look at the f150.

Dang it! I thought i had it all figured out!!! thanks for all the info! great help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.