New Truck - Pondering a 6.7 - some questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Truck - Pondering a 6.7 - some questions

New to this forum...good information on here for sure.
I am contemplating a Ford....want the 6.7, Lariat, two tone, black leather, chrome package, lariat interior package, roof lights....I am really impressed at what I am seeing with this new engine.

Two big questions:
8' bed or 6.75' bed? I like that the smaller bed = smaller length truck (parking convenience). But, I am concerned about 26 gallon fuel tank vs 30+ gallon in long bed. Does anyone have experiences/opinions? I realize these trucks are supposed to get better mileage...but 26 seems like a small fuel tank in the SB trucks.

3.31 or 3.55 rears? What is the RPM difference at 60mph with stock tires? Any feelings one way or the other concerning mileage performance with either of these? Am I splitting hairs and it wouldn't matter? I will only tow a few times per month for short distances (less than 50 miles)....approximately 12K # low boy with equipment on it.

Does anyone have pics of ingot silver with grey two tone trucks in 6.75' and 8' bed? I want to see some side profile shots.

Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 06:36 PM

Go with the 8ft bed.. that little extra isn't going to hurt when parking. The only time your going notice a shorter bed is when you have to put something in it and your bed is a foot to short! Especially if you ever put a tool box in the back you need a 8 foot.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:51 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have the short bed because I snow plow with mine and it's still a tight fit in a few driveways. Parking is still a little tight I try not to park in between cars it's a big truck. As far as the 26 gallon tank it feels better to fillup at $105 rather than $150. I have a 350 with 3.55 I don't know to much about that stuff but I tow alot of trailers and my travel trailer and I would'nt trade it for anything.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

If I were you I'd park my gearing choice right in the middle of what's offered, so go with the 3.55. As far as bed length goes, when you need an 8 foot bed you need it, you'll never "NEED" a 6.75 foot bed. The newer trucks have really great turning radi. Mines as long as you can go, and I have no problems with most things, as long as it's not parking between two Prius's at Whole Foods trying to get to the dirty Mexican place across the street.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 PM

The 3.55 rear and 275/65 R 20" tires runs at 1524 engine rpm and 65 mph in 6th gear- the 3.31 rear and 245/75 R 17" tires runs at 1539 engine rpm and 65 mph in 6th gear. You can get after market fuel tanks - either above or below bed. Last two trucks have been short beds - If it won't fit in the bed I pull a gooseneck. Large Capacity Replacement Fuel Tanks for Diesel Pickup Trucks ~ TITAN Diesel Fuel Tanks: The leader in Aftermarket Fuel Tanks

Last edited by 4x4ord; 05-12-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the information. It seems either option is a good one (3.31 or 3.55).
I believe the trucks I've seen are running Michelin tires on 18" rims. What are on the 20's?
Old 05-13-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucpa111 View Post
Thanks for the information. It seems either option is a good one (3.31 or 3.55).
I believe the trucks I've seen are running Michelin tires on 18" rims. What are on the 20's?
I say short box and 331 the michelin tires are on the 20s the 18s come with continentals
Old 05-13-2011, 02:54 PM

I heard Continentals Sux! but i have never owned any Myself!

Michelins are Jam-Up and Bridgestones!IMHO

Last edited by Lead Foot; 05-13-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:21 PM
The Warden

Went with the short box on this truck,already have wished I got the long,but still like the short I'm use to a 38 gallon tank,so I think a 26 blows.
The 6.7 has plenty of power to tow with 3:31.I have 3:55 in a f-350. A 50 gallon titan tank is about $1000.00 before install
Old 05-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Foot View Post
I heard Continentals Sux! but i have never owned any Myself!

Michelins are Jam-Up and Bridgestones!IMHO
I had the Conti's on my '08 and now my '11. I got 60,000 out of them on my '08, I've only got 16,000 on the new truck so far, but they wear great and are super quiet. Yes, they suck in the mud, but they're not a mud tire. I live in Salt Lake and we get our fair share of the white stuff and the tires did great over winter. They get a bad rap, probably because they don't look aggressive, but I like em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.