6.7L Powerstroke vs. Ecoboost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7L Powerstroke vs. Ecoboost

Hi folks, been a member here for about a year researching a replacement for my Chevy 2500HD 6.0L w/4.10s.

I have decided on either a 2011 6.7L F250 XLT or a similar optioned 2011 3.5L Ecoboost F150.

I will mostly use the truck for daily communting and family road trips. However, I have a 26' Enclosed race trailer that has a max gross weight of 10,400 lbs. I use it a couple times a year but I want to make sure the truck I purchase can tow the trailer.

For comparision my 2500HD is rated to tow 12K lbs and it needs to downshift and strain going up any slight incline at freeway speeds.

Previously the F150 was not available in crew cab with a full 6.5' box. Ford has fixed this with the 2010/2011 model years.

Everyone has been saying the Ecoboost has a Diesel-Like torque curve and 420ft/lbs may be plenty as my 2500HD only had 325 ft/lbs.

MPG's seem comprable between the two trucks, 18-19 for the 6.7L and about the same for the Ecoboost. Oil changes and routine MTX will be cheaper with the Eco-Boost than the 6.7L. Longevity is a question on both.

Price, 10K more for the SD (similar options on both trucks). However the SD will hold resale value better than the F150. However I plan to keep the truck for at LEAST five years (probably longer).

Basically I'm looking for opinions on which way to go and if I really need a SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The new F150 crew cab will have a payload of around 1700lb. Some could be less so make sure you check. Subtract from this number the weight of fuel in the tank, people and belongings. That's a ballpark figure. Weighing the truck would probably result in less payload remaining.

Now add the trailer to all of that. pumper pull should be 10% tongue weight. This is pretty important to avoid instability.
Not much to work with there.

SD has around 2600lb payload. Plus the weight of the truck helps prevent the trailer from getting out of control.

You would be a lot safer with the Super Duty. I would consider a 5th wheel or gooseneck but that's too much weight to hang back there on a light truck. You are putting your family a great risk. If your going gas engine you can do that with the SD as well. I can't say on these new engines but in general the diesel is better for towing. Your not towing that much so a gas SD might be better if cost is a major consideration. I can guarantee your fuel consumption will be greater towing with gas. The torque is nowhere near that of he 6.7. RPMs would be pegged to actually realize the rated power. Not so with the diesel. 800 ft/lb is available all the time during normal towing.

Either one has enough power to get it down the road. Don't forget about stopping it. I have towed tens of thousands of miles with my SD and on several occasions the transmission braking has saved me from certain disaster. As well as the weight of the truck in high wind gusts with icy roads, etc.

Bottom line.. In my opinion, just don't do it. Go with the SD.

Last edited by DavidPhillips; 05-05-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Serving Our Country!

Well, if you only tow that trailer a couple times a year I'd say the F150. It's rated to tow 11,000lbs (in certain configurations). If haveing IFS and a gas motor doesnt bother you, then the F150 will be plenty IMHO.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree that ANY truck can pull and stopping is more of a challenge. The new F150 has 13" + brakes on all corners with ABS. Plus it has the integrated brake controller with sway control just like the SD. I do agree on the weight aspect as well.

It may come down to finding a truck and if the dealer gives me a better deal on the SD then I'll get one over the F150 EB.

The 6.2L is out. I think my 2500HD with it's 6.0 has burned me on a gas engine in a 3/4 ton truck. It's just too much truck to push around without a diesel.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 AM
The Silent Service

Over 10k on a 1/2 ton truck, no way would I feel comfortable pulling that. I have driven the new EcoBoost, but it won't hold a candle to my diesel ('07 in Sig, and no I wasn't replacing my SD). The power and control (the wieght of the truck helps) the SD is going to give you will make up for the 10k price tag, and that diesel will hold its resale longer, and run longer than an F150.

The SD is the right truck for what you're looking to do, I've hauled 8k with a haft-ton and I will never do that again.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:14 PM

Back when they actually made a half ton I had a 1981 f100. It would haul a half ton and that's it. Pulling a 5000lb boat was nothing short of stupid.

Luckily the market has changed. Not sure why the names like 1/2 ton got promoted to be 1500lbs and 3/4 ton has started to weigh 2500lb but that is what has taken place.

Anyway the F150 I use at work every day and travel thousands of miles with is a 2010 with high performance motor and weighs 7000lb fully loaded. A big difference in the old half ton that could barely handle 1000lb.

I still think its too light to tow a 10000lb bumper pull trailer and be safe about it. Many people do. Some of them used to before they ended up upside down.

You have a hard decision because you really need two different vehicles. However the 2010 f150 for sure is better in town but out on the highway the difference I see in fuel economy narrows down to almost nothing. The ecoboost may be better. I'm seeing around 19 MPG in the f150 out on the long haul.

You could easily change your own oil and filters if your wanting to save a few bucks on maintenance. The diesel should not require much more than that.

Gas engines have been requiring routine injector cleaning. This has been relatively expensive and can't be done at home. Maybe fuel additive would work but I doubt it. I have never heard of a diesel needing it.

Unfortunately everything is new. Somebody has to take the plunge to see what the real deal is.

If memory serves me correctly HD adds 500lbs. 1500 HD is the only true 1 ton, 2000lb payload. So your 2500HD is really a 3000. Twice the truck by actual weight ratings. Power is not really a factor.

Last edited by DavidPhillips; 05-05-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:40 PM

Put air bags in the rear of the F150 EB and for hauling that trailer twice a year it would be fine. Remember, you will be driving the truck 99.9% of the time unloaded and a diesel uses a decent amount of fuel just to get warmed up for the first 5 minutes.

That new F150 with the Eco-boost is a force to be reckoned with!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun1973 View Post
Hi folks, been a member here for about a year researching a replacement for my Chevy 2500HD 6.0L w/4.10s.

I have decided on either a 2011 6.7L F250 XLT or a similar optioned 2011 3.5L Ecoboost F150.

I will mostly use the truck for daily communting and family road trips. However, I have a 26' Enclosed race trailer that has a max gross weight of 10,400 lbs. I use it a couple times a year but I want to make sure the truck I purchase can tow the trailer.

For comparision my 2500HD is rated to tow 12K lbs and it needs to downshift and strain going up any slight incline at freeway speeds.

Previously the F150 was not available in crew cab with a full 6.5' box. Ford has fixed this with the 2010/2011 model years.

Everyone has been saying the Ecoboost has a Diesel-Like torque curve and 420ft/lbs may be plenty as my 2500HD only had 325 ft/lbs.

MPG's seem comprable between the two trucks, 18-19 for the 6.7L and about the same for the Ecoboost. Oil changes and routine MTX will be cheaper with the Eco-Boost than the 6.7L. Longevity is a question on both.

Price, 10K more for the SD (similar options on both trucks). However the SD will hold resale value better than the F150. However I plan to keep the truck for at LEAST five years (probably longer).

Basically I'm looking for opinions on which way to go and if I really need a SD.
I considered the same basic things you are and decided to place the most amount of weight on the depreciation factor between the two. That is hoe I ended up with the 2011 F250 6.7L. The F-150 5.0 or Ecoboost would have met my needs just fine so it was primarily a financial decision to get the diesel...
Old 05-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the ecoboost F-150 feels stronger than any 1/2 i've ever been in, I was honestly impressed by it.

No way i would tow 10,000 with it though. I would still opt for the superduty
Old 05-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun1973 View Post

A few of my buddies have 6.0L GMC 2500HD's. Until I looked it up for them they thought since their trucks had been new that they were rated for 12k towing.

Only the 8100V8 and 6.6L is rated for 12k. Google any brochure for the GMC's and you'll see that the highest rating you can get for a 2500HD is 10,600 for a Reg cab long box 2wd. And all the other 4x4 2500HD's depending on cab and box size are max'd at about 10,300lbs. So you've been under the assumption you were rated well over what you'd been pulling. So if you went with the Eco I think it would surprise you.

But yes the SD 6.7L would be heavier and control the weight a little better but I think you'd be fine with the F-150 Eco. If you don't get the Max tow package you'll be right on the line since it's rated at appr 10k depending on cab etc. With the max tow you'll be at 11,300.

Either way two great trucks. Congrats!

Trailer towing maximum (lbs / kg):
2500HD alt fuel with 6.0L V8,
auto trans: 8200 / 3718.8 with weight-distributing hitch and sway bar. Alt-fuel vehiclesare neither designed nor intended to tow 5th wheel or gooseneck trailers.

2500HD with 6.0L V8,
manual or auto trans: 10600 / 4807.3 with weight-distributing hitch and sway control or with 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer

2500HD with Vortec 8100 8.1L V8
or Duramax 6600 6.6L Turbo Diesel,
manual or auto trans: 12000 / 5442 with weight-distributing hitch and sway control. Increases to 16100 / 7302.8 for 8.1L and 16000 / 7257.5 for Duramax 6600 with 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer
3500 with Vortec 6000 6.0L V8,manual or auto trans: 9900 / 4489.8 with weight-distributing hitch and sway control or 5th wheel or gooseneck trailers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.