Amp Research Steps Install Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Amp Research Steps Install Questions

I am planning to buy some Amp Research Steps in the next few days. Has anyone installed these their selves? If so, do you have any tips? I have been looking over the instructions, and it looks like you run wires to the batteries and then to wires for each door. My truck had the King Ranch running boards on it that had lights. Could I just wire it straight to them on both sides? I'm thinking this might work, but might make both steps come out when you open the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
honestly you prob def can if your ok with doing electrical work... me.. i hate it so i just have it done by a professional...

we have them here if your interested AMP Research Power Step

-Raul
Old 05-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
honestly you prob def can if your ok with doing electrical work... me.. i hate it so i just have it done by a professional...

we have them here if your interested AMP Research Power Step

-Raul
Well it seems professional around my neck of the woods must not mean the same as other parts of the world. I would really like to just pay someone to do it, but I have had really bad luck that way. Every time someone installs something for me, they screw it up or something else up and I end up fixing it. I'll check around though and see if anyone actually has experience with these. I should be ordering in just a few days and will definitely check out your site. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I installed them on my 2011. Not too hard, though the instructions are not that good. Locating the wire for the front right door was the most difficult thing for me.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Amp Research Power Steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertc82 View Post
I am planning to buy some Amp Research Steps in the next few days. Has anyone installed these their selves? If so, do you have any tips? I have been looking over the instructions, and it looks like you run wires to the batteries and then to wires for each door. My truck had the King Ranch running boards on it that had lights. Could I just wire it straight to them on both sides? I'm thinking this might work, but might make both steps come out when you open the door.

Hello Robert.

I don't think you want to use the OEM running board light wiring. I'm not sure how it works, but it may cause some funny delays and stuff to the operation of you Power Steps.

Prior to the installation of your steps you can always call AMP Research and talk to one of us and we will give you some tips. 888-983-2204 option 2.

Bruce
Amp Research
Sales and technical support
Old 05-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Installed mine myself last week on a Super Cab 2011 F250. Mechanical portion is very straight forward, just follow the instructions. Finding the correct wires to connect to is a little more difficult. For one door you need to remove the cloth wrapped around the wire bundle under the passenger side kick panel to find the correct wire. The wire connectors supplied with steps worked well once the correct wire was located. Steps worked perfectly after installation allowing my wife easy access to the cab.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:45 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Those lighs come on when the parking lights are on too, don't they

Either way I would just wire it the way AMP tells you to.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:07 PM

As ODH said,

Mechanical portion is very simple, the motors and idlers just bolt up to existing holes.

I had to run my wiring along the back of the engine compartment since they weren't long enough to go around the front like the instructions say. I just zip tied the harness up and away from any huge heat sources since they are wrapped in conduit anyway.

The wire tapping was the biggest pain, just finding the right wires. The dark purple one was my issue cause there are about three purple wires that look similar. I had to dig to the bottom of the bundle to find the darkest one. The rest of them were OK to find, just make sure to look through all the wires and weed out the ones that don't fit the description EXACTLY.

I did tap into the wrong one, took the tap off, wrapped the wire in electrical tape, then heat shrink tubing to seal it back up since the tap does not cut the wire, just makes a connection.

The lights were easy to put on. Drill two holes on each side for the wires to go through, crimp the light wires to the wires from the harness, peel off tape backing and stick lights to truck.

I don't think wiring the steps to the existing harness would work cause you have the controller for the boards to worry about and the wiring bundle just plugs into that.

I have had no issues with the steps or the truck (which is what I was worried about after my f up).

On another note, I just had a 6 inch Pro Comp lift put on with 20 inch wheels and 37s and my daughter (5 year old) can still get up in the truck with no issues with these steps. Great product and I am now hooked on them.

Hope that helps with your decision.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:57 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys! Great info
Old 06-11-2011, 02:43 PM

i am also looking into buying some, does anyone know the install time? could i do it in a day? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.