Newbie w/ a few questions... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie w/ a few questions...

Hey all! I just traded in my 2007 2500 5.9L Cummins on a 2011 F-250 4x4 6.7L!

Picked her up with just 12 miles and now I have 188. This has been my first Ford diesel since driving my dad's 7.3 back in '92 - '96. First off, its an awesome truck! I like to change the oil in my vehicles after the first 500 miles. The oil cap and the manual say to use 10-30W and I was surprised. This is the first diesel I have had (owned a Duramax and Cummins) and always used 15-40W. The manual says to use 15-40W if I am running B20. I run it sometimes but not all the time. What is the consensus on running 15-40W all the time?

Also, anyone heard of anyone running B100 in the 6.7L? If so, what happened?

Thanks in advance,
Rascal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 01:40 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Why do you change your oil after 500 miles? I have 2550 miles on mine will change the oil at 5000 and will be using 15-40w because I tow alot with it. I never heard of b100.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:47 PM

I always like to change the oil in a brand new engine cause there is always stuff left over from the casting and I like to get it out after the first 500. Just a mental thing for me. Definitely not necessary...

B100 just means 100% biodiesel. I just got done reviewing the manual and it any blend greater than B20 could damage the engine and/or emissions system. I am thinking it might damage the emissions system but not the engine. Its funny but the manuals says NOT to use any raw or refined vegetable oil, animal fat, or cooking oil. That is everything biodiesel is made from besides the latest algae based stuff.

I bet I could do the DPF, EGR, and DEF delete and the 6.7 would run like a champ on B100.

Not sure when I will do all that though...

Last edited by rascal; 05-02-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Premium Member

It'd probably run fine on B100, but I wouldn't. You never know what it's gonna do until it's done. I ran B20 in my 08 when I was in Illinois because that's all they had. As far as oil viscosity goes. I run 15W-40 because that's what the manual says to run for towing.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:25 PM

Lets buy a new truck and experiment by pouring all kinds of stuff in it the manual says not to use.

Are you nuts?

Just kidding.

But seriously, why not follow the owners manual?

The oil is filtered before it goes back through the engine. There is no reason to change it at 500 miles. Change it as it requires.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Biodiesel in a 6.4L

- mor4wd -

This is my first diesel, and I live in Illinois. I've noticed all the stations nearby offer B5-B20 at the pumps. That concerns me since the manual for the 6.4L says not to run anything higher than B5. What should I be concerned about? Am I gonna have to start replacing parts? Please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mor4wd View Post
It'd probably run fine on B100, but I wouldn't. You never know what it's gonna do until it's done. I ran B20 in my 08 when I was in Illinois because that's all they had. As far as oil viscosity goes. I run 15W-40 because that's what the manual says to run for towing.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

The 6.4 allows up to B5 so I'd try to buy from stations that have a maximum of B5. If you have to run higher than I'd make sure to buy from high volume stations like truck stops. Illinois had some of the worst quality fuel I've ever seen as far as water content goes. You don't want to be filling up at some small station that doesn't sell a lot of diesel and be pumping the dregs from their holding tank into yours. I wouldn't worry too much about it but I would run some diesel conditioners in my fuel. Try running Power Services white bottle. Available at most gas stations and WalMart.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:36 PM

Thumbs up

Just follow the owners manual.

Oil does not need changed at 500 miles. It is not nearly broken in at 500 so if it needs it at 500 it will need it again at 1000 miles. There is an oil filter that filters the oil before it goes through the engine.

Follow your manual.

Err uh, oops.

Old post.

B20 causes more than water related damage. You have a filter system for water. Don't use it.

Last edited by DavidPhillips; 09-10-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.