Cetane Boost Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 02:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cetane Boost Question

I've got a 2011 F-350 Dually, 6.7, just finished changing the oil today. While checking out at Auto Skills Center, guy at the counter suggested to me that I should use Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost in my truck. Told me that it is good for injectors, etc. I looked in the Truck owners manual and read that fuel additives should not be necessary as long as I'm fueling with ultra low sulfer diesel. Guy at the counter (promises he wasn't trying to sell me anything--this skills center is on a military installation) claimed that this additive gave him more power, better fuel mileage, easier starting in his '07 F250. I had a Cummins before my current rig, have 22,000 on current rig and never have ever used any fuel additives. Not sure what to think. I'm sure this stuff is fine for engines that are a little older, but not sure if there's any data out there regarding performance increase/decrease in the new 6.7l. Any thoughts, experience, successes, and/or advice? I'm getting ready to move this Saturday from San Diego to Detroit and am willing to try, but don't want to take any unnecessary risks, so any insights are much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 04:51 PM

I wouldn't since with todays complex emissions systems you're liable to gum something up or wreck a DPF filter. If that happens, and they can find evidence of the additives, you'll be footing the bill. Not to mention that most of those additives are just snake oil anyways and really don't do anything.

I do put a small dose of Siloo diesel fuel conditioner in once or twice ayear just to catch any moisture that may have accumulated in the tank.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:02 PM

I use the cetane booster from ford and can tell a difference in mileage.I looked at different brands and they called for 8 ozs for 25 gallons of fuel.The ford brand calls for 4 ozs for 25 gallons.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

well i dont have a 2011 but the diesel kleen works well in my 7.3 it does make it start easier specially in the cold and i pick up about .75 miles to the gallon with it. Also suppose to clean the injectors too. One thing i really like about it if you are in the colder areas your diesel wont gel up with it in it.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had a 5.9 Cummins prior to the 6.7. Tried different fuel additives several times with that engine and never saw any gains. So haven't really considered using it in the 6.7.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 PM

I use it in mine, mainly to add a little lubrication back, they say the ultra low sulfur fuel is pretty dry and is hell on fuel pumps etc...?? who knows if thats true manuel says its ok to use so I do
Old 04-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

a little lubrication

Keep a little bio-diesel in the tank. Great for lubrication in fuel components and is a great cleaner. Just be sure to have new fuel filters on hand./
Old 04-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

check u'r owners book...says in diesel supplement that additives are suggested and recommended...and ford sells it under the motorcraft label.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

I run Power Services white bottle. Never really noticed much of a difference until last weekend pulling 18k from CA to UT. Alternated using the additive every other tank and noticed pretty much exactly 1 mpg increase with the additive, but for the cost of the stuff, it's not worth it. I'll add it when it gets cold to prevent gelling.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hay now..mr. mor4wd...we use a product named stanadyne cetane boost.. works well, but notice little with mph. our latest is '11f-350//3.55 gears...and as i have said before the best!!!!!!! i can get is 17-18...foot out-down hill-tail wind..have a good day...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.