New 6.7L Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 6.7L Questions

I just traded my 02 7.3L for a new 2011 6.7L F-250. I love the truck so far and kind of overwhelmed with all the high tech gadgets.

I had the pillar gauges on my 7.3L to mainly monitor the EGR's and Tranny temps. My question is do I need to monitor the EGR's while towing with the new 6.7L like I did with the 7.3L?

If so what aftermarket gauges do you guys recommend?

Here's a pic of my new baby!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Since I got used to watching my EGT on all my previous trucks, I too would like to see a Pyro Guage.

With the turbo sitting right on the manifod, Have the third party mfgs devised a good location to mount the thermocouple? I know ford has several heat sensor mounted post turbo in the exhaust system, to monitor the exhaust and DPF systems.

With out a chip or tune, I'm not too worried about excess egt heat. But I'd still like to monitor whats going on during heavy towing.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:57 AM

I find myself in the same spot. If the engineers that designed the engine depended on the operator to control EGT's they would have provided an indication. The 6.4 had a factory installed thermocouple that could be monitored, however the 6.7 does not. No need? Probably, but I don't care. I would still like to be able to monitor EGT's, oil pressure, and have an indication or log of DPF regeneration cycles. As far as the latter goes I am sure that Ford intended to really try to minimize the occurance of regeneration cycles. It just sort of happens in the background so you don't think about where the fuel is going....
Old 04-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Right now the only way to monitor EGTs is using a tuner with a pyrometer installed through an EGR delete plate or a tuner that uses a downstream factory installed pyrometer and then compensates to provide pre-turbo temperatures.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebel View Post
Right now the only way to monitor EGTs is using a tuner with a pyrometer installed through an EGR delete plate or a tuner that uses a downstream factory installed pyrometer and then compensates to provide pre-turbo temperatures.
Yeah I've thought about looking for a passive monitor like the Edge CTS or something that does not involve changing factory programming.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Premium Member

Without tuning, there's no need to monitor EGT's. The truck won't allow them too get that hot. If you're intent on getting one though, you'll have to drill and tap your exhaust because Ford didn't put on in.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm not planning on any mods for a while so I'll just tow away and not worry about it.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:15 PM
The Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mor4wd View Post
Without tuning, there's no need to monitor EGT's. The truck won't allow them too get that hot. If you're intent on getting one though, you'll have to drill and tap your exhaust because Ford didn't put on in.
so, to moniter egt's all you need is a pyrometer gauge and probe?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

Correct. They make wireless ones so that you don't have to run wires through your firewall, but it's just one wire, or two if the gauge is lit. The tricky part would be drilling the exhaust, let alone even being able to see it. The best spot is right after the turbo, as close as you can get. Don't let ANYONE tell you to put it before the turbo as most diesel guys do. The problem with that is when that little tiny probe goes through enough heat cycles it's gonna break and then it's got nowhere to go except through the turbo spinning at 20,000 plus RPM.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took my new truck on it's maiden voyage towing the RV. Prior to this truck I had an 02 F250 with the 7.3L. It was a great truck but this new one is ten times better in my opinion. I towed my 31 ft fifth wheel up to northern Arizona, going up long mountain grades with ease! This truck has so much power it is unbelievable! I passed all the Dodges, Chevys, and older Fords. The only thing that slowed me down were the slow cars in the passing lane. I was doing 70+ MPH on the mountain grades where the 7.3L got bogged down. The tow/haul mode is also impressive for down hill exhaust braking. A tap on the brake and it automatically shifts down to the lower gear and the exhaust brake kicks in. Hardly ever had to brake while going down the steep hills. On the way back home it was pretty windy and the ride was very stable compared to the 7.3. I think it had something to do with the antisway system because I wasn't white knuckeling like before when towing in windy conditions. The only negative about this truck is the Exhaust fluid you need to put in and the softer rear springs. I notice this truck leans more in the rear when hooked up to the fifth wheel than the 02 did. Other than that this truck is awesome!

By the way this truck has 3.55 gears and the latest factory flash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.