Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2011 Ford gooseneck/5th Wheel prep package

5K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Grizzly16 
#1 ·
Would you go with the prep package from Ford or have a "after market" gooseneck hitch to put in? I have a 24' gooseneck trailer and will be hauling anything from a tractor to packs of lumber, which would be the best one to get for the job?

#4 ·
If you are not going to use a 5th Wheel and Only use the Gooseneck ball. I prefer the B&W Turn over ball. If you are carefull who you buy it from it can be about $100-$150 cheaper than the Ford Factory prep and ball.

Even after you buy the Ford Factory Prep. You still need to get the Ford or Reese Ball for your gooseneck.

#6 ·
The B&W TurnOver Balls are $399 plus the install fee, Usually a $100.
The Ford Factory Prep is $395 and then you still need to buy the ball and the safety chain loops which Etrailer is selling for $275. So your total there is $670

The B&W ball when not in use, Flips over and stores in the hole in the bed. The Ford ball is removed and put in a bag behind your back seat when not in use. I'd just as soon leave the greasy ball in the bed when not in use.

#13 ·
Dealer Invoice on the Ford Factory Prep is $307 and that also includes installation and the 7 pin bed plug. The gooseneck prep package (BC3Z-19F503-A) is ~$210 all over the net so in an apples to apples comparison would make it ~$520 for the Ford Factory Prep vs. ~$495 installed for a B&W installed, for the extra $20 the Ford Factory Prep seems like a better deal given that it also includes a factory wired 7 pin bed plug.

#8 ·
Ill tell you I have the factory prep package and its really nice. The bed is all stamped out where the ball goes and the hooks, the plug is already installed in the bed side and its really nice and clean.

I agree with let the factory do as much as they can.

#9 ·
I put in my own. When you buy B&W you pay for a name. I bought a PopUp hitch for $300 shipped. All the guys at work who have B&W's want to buy a PopUp now because the design is so much better. You don't have to get in the bed to pull the ball out, you just pull the handle in the wheel well and it pops up, you push it in and it goes down. Rated for 30,000 towing with 7,500 lbs tongue. Install was easy because Ford prestamps the bed for the hole. Don't waste your money. I've had 27,100 pounds behind me and no problems from the hitch. At least check them out. They make a great product for less money.

#11 ·
I am getting a B&W installed this week $450 installed.

#12 · (Edited)
$450 installed sounds like a great deal - I think I paid $375 for mine and installed it myself in the Napa parking lot right after picking my truck up from the dealer and before hooking on to the two tandem dually goosenecks that I towed home. I couldn't be happier with the hitch. I have the Companion for my 5'ver and really like it as well. Does the "Pop Up" hitch work with a fifth wheel hitch?

#16 ·
It doesn't work with a 5'ver. B&W is all over that but they really get you on the price for the adapter. I don't own any 5th wheels, but if I did, I'd convert it to a gooseneck.

#17 ·
Probably a little off subject, but I've got the prep package in my rig and am glad that I did. While the Ford/Rees fifth wheel hitch was pretty expensive (can't remember off hand exactly how much--I think a little over a grand) the hitch fits perfectly, the 5er mates perfectly, the seven pin socket is on the inside of the bed, and the truck tows like a scalded dog. That along with the gain control on dash has been one of the nicest aspects of owning and towing with this truck. Can't tell you enough how much I like it...would guess the GN experience would be about the same...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.