Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tell me I did the right thing..........

7K views 51 replies 27 participants last post by  GreenF350 
#1 ·
Well, I'm back :thumb:. After 2 wonderful 7.3's I bought a beautiful new 6.0 King Ranch in 2005. I then spent the next 14 months living on this forum trying to figure out what was wrong with it. After the 3rd time it blew up I went to the Dodge dealer and traded it on a 6.7 Cummins that had a Dodge wrapped around it.

That has been a great truck and the exhaust brake works awesome when towing in the mountains. I've never had to do anything but change the oil and put some new tires on it. But it was still a Dodge.

So, I went down to the :icon_ford: dealership knowing full well I would probably end up ordering another King Ranch. I did. I placed the order for a 2011 KR crew cab swb F350 in the green & gold color on 4/11. What a beautiful truck, and the test unit rode and drove like a dream. The dealer called today and said the ETA on the new rig is May 9th. So no pictures for now.

I was actually hesitant to log in to this forum after all those years. I was afraid I would start reading about all of the new horror stories about what is wrong with the new scorpion's. So far, after a quick scan today, I'm not seeing any major issues. So a few questions:

1-I searched for info on the extended warranty but didn't find much. How cheap have folks been able to get this for and do you think it is really worth it. I live far enough away from the dealerships that I do my own oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

2-I'll make sure my DEF tank is full, thanks for the tip.

3-How well does the new exhaust brake work? The Dodge turned on & off with a button so you could use it in every day driving even when tow-haul wasnt on. I also had a 2000 7.3 with a Banks exhausr brake on it. With the integrated trailer brake/controller and the exhaust brake, how does it work compared to these other ones? I read in a diesel mag where the new Duramax brake was supposed to work a lot better than the Ford's.

4-Any other words of wisdom or things to look out for before I take delivery on the 9th?

See less See more
#2 ·
You did the right thing.:)

#3 ·
From what I've read on the new 6.7s, you did the right thing:thumb: Trade the dudge in and never look back:scuffy

#4 ·
Kinda new here myself,but welcome back. I think we are all expecting a great truck from ford.Sounds like you heart has always been in the right place:rofl:

#6 ·
Yep, grew up with Fords, was a Ford mechanic in the 60's & 70's, raced Fords for years, so this feels like home.

They better have got it right though this time, this is their last chance to regain my loyalty.

#5 ·
if i'm not mistaken the NEW 6.7 has problem rating or what ever you call it of like 3% which is un freaking herd of for any vehicle.NO OTHER AUTO MAKER HAS EVER BEEN CLOSE.i love the **** of mine.the scarey thing is tho.i have hauled 26k several times
and didn't even know it was back there.oh one other thing SET CRUZE OR THAT TRUCK WILL PAY FOR ITSELF IN A YR IN TICKETS.

post pics when it comes in and welcome home...we are all FAMILY.

harv

#8 ·
Well, I sold the Dodge today so I am now past the point of no return. 95% of the time I'm like a little kid, can't wait for it to arrive. The rest of the time I'm like :eek:hnoes::eek:hnoes::eek:hnoes::eek:hnoes::please: let this be as good a truck as I think it should be :icon_ford:

#10 ·
Damn that front end is ugly Sorry but the new fronts look bad.

#11 ·
Seeing how DaddyRabbit doesn't have any Fords in his signature, I call TROLL.

You made a good choice. The exhaust brake will leave you feeling like "is this thing on", but other than that I've got 13,000 on mine without any problems. But, I know of 3 guys at work here who've had their 2010 and 2011 Dodges in the shop for weeks, plus they're just plain ugly. Ford did their homework on this one.

#12 ·
i dont have a 6.7 but i have driven a few of them and i would def. say you did the right thing....at least you didnt buy one of those new FUGLY dodges

#15 ·
Ford's not selling an upgrade, the upgrade was free, to one up the Chevy. If your truck is on order still, it will come from the factory with the upgrade. These trucks had 392 HP with 765 ft/lbs when they first came out, then they upped them all to 400/800. No additional upgrades are available.

#16 ·
awesome choice...

Buddy has one.. my 6.0 is awesome (SHUT UP!) but his new Scorpion Stroker is unreal!

UNREAL!!!!!

You'll Love it... Ford has their game together! (Now)

#17 ·
Definatly made the right choice! I've driven all the new ones from the big three, and was definatly most impressed by the ford. Its has serious power already from the factory. Plus you cant beat the King Ranch interior!:icon_ford:

#21 ·
Two things...

A) I dont understand why idiots who have no intention of saying anything constructive even take the time to make an account on this forum, GET A LIFE!

B) Why does it always turn into a brand pissing match? All three make a great truck, and each has its weak and strong components. The Ford just suits my tastes and needs better than the other two, and if you dont own or like ford then you are on the wrong forum site.

#22 ·
The exhaust brake on the new Fords is a very passive design. No switches to flip. I take that back, The switch to enable is the tow/haul button. It is not as noticable as the Dodge and GM EB. But it does work and slows the truck and load when coming down grades.

Unlike the B&D you had in the past, there is no waste gate on the new Ford System, so when pressure gets too high, the turbo vanes just open and release the excess into the exhaust system. So you won't hear the excess venting out of the waste gate.

It's not as strong as the other EB out there. Whether that is good or bad is up to your evaluation. I can come down I-80 in Parleys Canyon or down US 40 thru Daniels Canyon and it will hold my truck and 13,000 lbs of horse trailer at the speed limit with out me touching the pedal, So for me, I think it works.

#23 ·
The warranty will depend on which one you're looking at. There are 4 or 5 different coverage levels from the most basic DieselCare to the bumper-to-bumper, which I think is PremiumCare or PlatinumCare? It also depends on the number of years and mileage you're interested in. I have a 5 yr. 125k mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Some have said the EB requires a tap of the brake pedal in addition to being in T/H mode. I don't think I've noticed it unless I've tapped the brake pedal or had cruise control on.

#24 ·
I Like all three brands :~) just wish Dodge looked better and didn't have the death wobble :~(

I was just Pulling Daddy Rabbits Tail :~)

I've had two Duramax's an 07 silvy and a 09 SLT Both great trucks Zero issues but i'm waiting on the 2012 hoping they get some of the Bugs worked out!and come out with a Flame Blue color :~) thats sweet on the Raptor....

Right now i'm driving a half ton GMC extra cab Storm grey,with trailer tow package,thats 4 wheel disc brakes,373 gear,14 bolt rear,with the 6.2 motor 403 HP and 417 torque..She will Burn the tires Off LOL 16 in town and 20 highway..better than any 5.3 i have owned... and thats giving it a Little throttle :~)

I'm wanting the new Ford for My retirement truck! with the SFA and 37's :~) i started in a Ford Might as well go out in one!

Other toyz...22' Key West Center Console ,with 250 Fourstroke & 25 Fourstroke on the side :~) 07 Yamaha FZ1-N and a 09 Triumph Speed triple... SO many toyz so Little time:~(

Best News I've Heard all week is, the Cobia are here :~)

#37 ·
DaddyRabbit, seriously.... If you have meaningful posts, then stick around. But if you're just trying to start sh!t, go elsewhere.

I spent quite a bit of time on the Dodge Forum (since Feb 2007) and owned 3 Ram 1500s from 2005 through 2010, yet I never went on other forums to sh!t talk and I don't recall the Ford guys coming to bug us. The only few I remember were Tundra folks, so go talk some crap (if that's what you're into) on a Toyota forum.

#40 · (Edited)
That is funny considering I think the new Dodge's look awful similar to the hideous Tundras. Most people don't notice until it is pointed out but the first one I saw I had a confused look and my wife asked what was wrong, I was like "When did the Dodge dealer start selling Toyotas?". Turned out next time I drove by that it was all the new Dodge's. Lol. Just for full disclosure, I had a buddy with a 2006 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 and the powertrain on that thing set up like his is, has had me tempted to switch a few times. Too bad his truck is falling apart around it, or I'd probably re-mortgage my house to get one. Lol

I'm glad to see that the new 6.7's are holding up good. That is a hell of a truck. Wish I could afford one!
-Aaron

#39 ·
I had a Dodge way back a long time ago. It was a 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340
and was not made with our Tax dollars like they are today.
Doug

#41 · (Edited)
This vehicle looks like it was designed by (or for) the local Ladies' Auxiliary. Does it have a special place for you to put your purse? How about for your girlfriends' purses for when y'all go shopping together? Does the vanity mirror have enough lighting for you to do your make-up?

Attachments

#45 ·
I would love a 6.7! If I wasnt in love with my truck, I would have one. Good choice. Wow, going from that ram to this.... so nice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.