Bang Bang rattle rattle Bang Bang - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bang Bang rattle rattle Bang Bang

My truck is making a clanging noise at about 45 mph when slight throttle is being applied. I have it booked in to be looked at on Monday but wondering if anyone has experienced this. My imagination is telling me that it might be loose bolts securing the torque converter to the flywheel or possibly something like the waste gate on the turbo opening and closing very rapidly? Anyone experienced anything like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2011, 08:45 AM

With or without your load?

I notice mine at times of light throttle almost sounds as if the pilot injection is turning on and off.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:14 PM

I haven't noticed it without a load but haven't hardly driven it unloaded. This is a real banging kind of rattle. I initially thought it was the lid on the gooseneck trailer's tool box rattling but later realized it is definitely coming from the truck. When the rattling starts I can give it either more or less throttle and the noise stops.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
I haven't noticed it without a load but haven't hardly driven it unloaded. This is a real banging kind of rattle. I initially thought it was the lid on the gooseneck trailer's tool box rattling but later realized it is definitely coming from the truck. When the rattling starts I can give it either more or less throttle and the noise stops.
Driveline - metal popping noise

Sounds familiar.^^
Old 04-15-2011, 09:01 PM
2000 f-250 7.3

Send a message via Yahoo to GotDiesel85
yes driveline, agree. check out my gallery to see what happens if you ignore it while hauling heavy
Old 04-18-2011, 07:42 PM

I brought the truck in today and they were able to immediately diagnose the problem. The said it is turbo stall. The turbo is stalling out due to the back pressure equalling the boost pressure. ( I suspect the actual noise is the waste gate chattering?) They told me I need to manually downshift the transmission when that happens. So I have 3200 miles on the truck and it has gone into the shop twice - first time for check engine light and the dealer says the truck isn't designed to pull a 19000 lb trailer. Second time to resolve the clanging issue and they tell me I need to manually shift my automatic transmission. Sounds to me like I need to trade it in on a Duramax.

Last edited by 4x4ord; 04-18-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
I brought the truck in today and they were able to immediately diagnose the problem. The said it is turbo stall. The turbo is stalling out due to the back pressure equalling the boost pressure. They told me I need to manually downshift the transmission when that happens. So I have 3200 miles on the truck and it has gone into the shop twice - first time for check engine light and the dealer says the truck isn't designed to pull a 19000 lb trailer. Second time to resolve the clanging issue and they tell me I need to manually shift my automatic transmission. Sounds to me like I need to trade it in on a Duramax.
The Dealer you choose makes the difference. The dealer I use services a lot of oil rig equipment, no bull. Just gets the facts. Your Duromax dealer might be on the same par as your Ford dealer, in which case....

Find a Ford tech that knows his job, makes a difference...
Old 04-18-2011, 08:19 PM

You mean there is no fix for the turbo problem? That doesn't make sense. Did you decline a fix?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:37 PM
2000 f-250 7.3

swap the stock compressor wheel with a wicked wheel and surge usually stops, you could also get a ported compressor housing and a bigger waste gate accuator
Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 PM
2000 f-250 7.3

on my last post, disregard the wicked wheel part until i find one lol, but ATS does make a nice compressor housing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.