Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bang Bang rattle rattle Bang Bang

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Americanmade89 
#1 ·
My truck is making a clanging noise at about 45 mph when slight throttle is being applied. I have it booked in to be looked at on Monday but wondering if anyone has experienced this. My imagination is telling me that it might be loose bolts securing the torque converter to the flywheel or possibly something like the waste gate on the turbo opening and closing very rapidly? Anyone experienced anything like this?

#3 ·
I haven't noticed it without a load but haven't hardly driven it unloaded. This is a real banging kind of rattle. I initially thought it was the lid on the gooseneck trailer's tool box rattling but later realized it is definitely coming from the truck. When the rattling starts I can give it either more or less throttle and the noise stops.

#4 ·
#5 ·
yes driveline, agree. check out my gallery to see what happens if you ignore it while hauling heavy

#6 · (Edited)
I brought the truck in today and they were able to immediately diagnose the problem. The said it is turbo stall. The turbo is stalling out due to the back pressure equalling the boost pressure. ( I suspect the actual noise is the waste gate chattering?) They told me I need to manually downshift the transmission when that happens. So I have 3200 miles on the truck and it has gone into the shop twice - first time for check engine light and the dealer says the truck isn't designed to pull a 19000 lb trailer. Second time to resolve the clanging issue and they tell me I need to manually shift my automatic transmission. Sounds to me like I need to trade it in on a Duramax.

#7 ·
I brought the truck in today and they were able to immediately diagnose the problem. The said it is turbo stall. The turbo is stalling out due to the back pressure equalling the boost pressure. They told me I need to manually downshift the transmission when that happens. So I have 3200 miles on the truck and it has gone into the shop twice - first time for check engine light and the dealer says the truck isn't designed to pull a 19000 lb trailer. Second time to resolve the clanging issue and they tell me I need to manually shift my automatic transmission. Sounds to me like I need to trade it in on a Duramax.
The Dealer you choose makes the difference. The dealer I use services a lot of oil rig equipment, no bull. Just gets the facts. Your Duromax dealer might be on the same par as your Ford dealer, in which case....:doh:

Find a Ford tech that knows his job, makes a difference...:thumb:

#9 ·
swap the stock compressor wheel with a wicked wheel and surge usually stops, you could also get a ported compressor housing and a bigger waste gate accuator

#10 ·
on my last post, disregard the wicked wheel part until i find one lol, but ATS does make a nice compressor housing

#12 ·
yes you can do that, but then you run the risk of raising your egts. Thins is just my opinion as a tech and a powerstroke lover, change intake, exhaust, and compressor housing and get guages for the egts, boost, and tranny temp. Where you haul all the time might try methanol injection as well. But on you topic better cure than downshifting is a compressor housing.

#13 · (Edited)
The EGT is not likely an issue in this case. The rattling occurs under very light throttle conditions and at low rpm's. The automatic really should be dropping down but doesn't so the engine lugs along in 6 th gear at 40 mph. I have also noticed when I start climbing hills while towing with the cruise engaged the truck will loose significant speed as it applies full throttle rather than downshifting to increase the power. It will eventually downshift two or three gears and then race back up to the speed it was trying to maintain.

#14 ·
Sounds to me, that Ford needs to have a update with more aggressive shifting or something around those lines.

#16 ·
Well, I would go with the Spartan, that way when I get my new truck it's already been tested.

#17 ·
4x4ord

I think Ford needs to fix the shifting on these trucks. Do you use tow/haul mode while towing?

I was driving for my second job a 2011 F350 dually 6.2 Gasser with a mason dump the converter locked VERY early even at 30mph and lugs up hills. i had to punch it to get it to downshift and was only hauling a few yards of mulch in the bed, tow haul seemed to work for me

Its not just your truck

#18 ·
i wasnt saying EGTs were the cause of your noise. I was saying that the only way to get rid of surege at this point in the 6.7 is to lessen the back pressure, ported compressor housing, bigger exhaust, other wise the stall will stay. Since you haul alot, i was wondering about how a tranny swap would go with a ZF6, i'm gna have to go research it, maybe you said this already, but have you looked into that spartan yet?

#19 ·
I think the Spartan is about ready to hit the street but I am actually hoping Ford will come up with a fix. I'm not ready to forfeit my warranty just yet. I realized that you weren't suggesting the EGt was causing the noise - I was understanding you to be saying that downshifting might elevate the EGT. I was just saying that when the noise issue arises the engine is not actually working that hard and so I am not too worried about EGTs.

#20 ·
Seems to me that i been hearin about alot of turbo associated problems with the new engine. And Diesel Power mag said that the super duty struggled in its King of the Hill test due to "turbo inefficiencies". Sounds like some refinments/adjustments need to be made to knock out the first year jitters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.