steering question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
steering question?

Would changing the gear box change the ratio of the steering wheel and the tires. It seems to take alot if turning the wheel to get the truck to turn a little. Im coming from a dodge that would turn on a dime, I know the turning radius is going to be bigger cause the truck is longer just takes alot of wheel for a little turn. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

Yes it would, but you'd be hard pressed to find a way to change ratios. Give it a bit, you'll get used to it. Whenever I hop in my bosses Dodge the steering just feels wrong to me, but that's because I'm used to my Ford.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:30 AM

You will not get used to it very soon stroke11. The Ford steering is my biggest gripe too.

I last owned a Ford in 1975 and have been in many GM and Mopar since. Those brands have used variable ratio steering for decades and I do not understand why Ford doesn't??

The first thing I noticed when I test drove my Super Duty was I went real long on the corners and could not seem to crank the wheel enough. "You will get used to it" kept going thru my head. One year later, , , , I still have not got used to it. This thing will wear your a$$ out in close quarter parking lots. My past trucks were far better for tight areas.

Just turning a normal corner in the street requires an extra 80 - 90 degrees crank of the wheel. It is not a one handed manuver like before. If a vendor looking to make a lot of money on a good product is reading this, , sign me up right now for a replacement vari-ratio steering gear for my Super Duty. I would pay up to two grand and be happy to do it.

stroke11, if you are like me, you will soon find the Ford is a pretty good machine. My old D-Max would beat my new Ford in every catagory, pulling, fuel milage, driveability and so on but I still like this Ford best. I think it is the nicer, roomier cab and all the tech Ford has installed. It's too bad Ford has not figured out how to turn corners yet though. I would buy another Super Duty today if I needed one, , , , , but I will not race a D-Max with it.

Enjoy your new truck guy, and look for straight roads!!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:21 AM

Ford steering is also one of my main complaints - I came from 3 Dodges. The steering there is much more sensitive or crisp. On the Ford, it feels like I have to turn the wheel 1/4 turn before the truck responds. On the Dodge, it was a 1/4" - made it much easier to drive with one hand.

I've been in a Ford since Nov. '10 and still haven't gotten fully used to it. The Ford is also much harder to keep straight when towing on a windy day.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:08 AM

Yep I've had my truck since november also, some parking lots will just wear me out. Why can't we take something from all three brands and build one bad azz truck.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

I'm not sure what you'd take off the GM, the new Ford 6R140 is better rated than the Allison 1000 and that's the only thing I could think of that might be better than the Ford.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mor4wd View Post
I'm not sure what you'd take off the GM, the new Ford 6R140 is better rated than the Allison 1000 and that's the only thing I could think of that might be better than the Ford.
I have to agree. I'd personally like to combine the Ford/Dodge into one super truck. It'd mostly be Ford, with a larger cab (like the Megacab), some in bed & in-floor storage, more responsive steering, Cummins engine, and built-in file storage for the nav units.

Overall the Ford is a better truck and that's why I'm driving a Ford (despite my mainly Dodge history (they were all 1/2 tons though)).
Old 04-14-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
The allison is what I had in mind. I've been having shift issues with mine since day one I do think its just a flash issue that I hope to have done at the oil change.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Eaton 80 auto locker axle
Variable ratio steering gear
adjustable headlights (need to lower my Ford lights but can't find screws??)
switchable cargo lighting (so I can close the door)
Old 04-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowdoc View Post
Eaton 80 auto locker axle
Variable ratio steering gear
adjustable headlights (need to lower my Ford lights but can't find screws??)
switchable cargo lighting (so I can close the door)
Why would you possibly want an auto locker. That's like trading your ARB air locker in for a crappy Detroit. Selectable is the only way to go which comes with the FX4 package.

Adjustable headlights, read the manual. Little knobby thing that points straight up on the back of the housing. Stick a philips screwdriver in there, clockwise goes up, counterclockwise goes down.

Turning the interior lights on manually with the dimmer switch turns on the cargo lamp.

There's an awful lot of people who don't read the manual. That's like getting a super computer and being content to just play old Atari games on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.