Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

WDH - Do I need one?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ShirtaDay.com 
#1 ·
Hi, I read on some random website that because the new F350’s have longer leaf springs that a weight distributing hitch is required. I plan to tow an enclosed race car trailer (about 9000#) and possibly a 30-40 ft camper (which I haven’t purchased yet so don’t know the weight) with my F-350 SRW diesel. I currently have a 600# rated WDH that I had for my V8 Pathfinder but now with this truck, I am not sure that it is required or even if a 600# WDH is adequate. I have a guy who wants to buy my 600# WDH this evening but not sure if I should keep it or not. What would you guys suggest? Also note that I would prefer to have an easily height adjustable hitch for using various trailers and my WDH is adjustable, but not 'easily'... at least not like an adjustable aluminum hitch. Thanks! JC

#3 ·
The truck would most likely be just fine, but like BlueF350 said, they make a huge difference in the way the whole rig will handle. I'd sell your 600 pounder and get a 1000 or 1200, especially if you're planning on towing a 40' bumper pull.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice fellas. Turns out that because I have a Reese WDH, all I need to do to bump up the rating is buy the 1200# bars for $200. Score! Luckily I even bought the extra long drop so I can accomodate the F350's taller stance. Double score!!

#5 ·
The truck is rated to 8,000 lbs without WDH. To get to the 12,500 or 14,500, you need a WDH. And yes, even with 10% tongue weight, the new bars are a must.

I towed my 35' 8,500 lbs TT a few times without a WDH. I just used an easily adjustable ball (to accommodate other trailers). It worked fine (new trucks have built-in sway control), but on windy days, it wasn't ideal. I broke down and bought a WDH (got a great deal from the RV dealer). It tows much better on windy days now and doesn't move as much when passing semis, etc.

Basically, the built-in truck sway control only works when the truck begins to sway from the trailer moving it. The sway control on a WDH (if you have the additional sway bar), helps reduce sway as soon as the trailer starts to sway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.