Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New Flash??

10K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  mrock 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I took my truck in to the dealer and told them that I'm having delayed shifting from Park to either Reverse or Drive and that it takes about 5 seconds for it to actually go into gear. Doesn't do it all the time but 2-3 times a week. So they tell me that there's nothing they can do about it until Monday when they can have a tech try and duplicate it. I tell them that that is not going to work for me so the Service Advisor calls back to one of the techs and tells him about the problem and the guy says to send it back and that they are going to reflash it.

Now my truck is a Job 2 build that came from the factory with the 400hp flash on it. After they are done, they tell me that Ford released a new flash with a TSB recently that changed a bunch of things and gave it a bit more power and changed the way the tranny shifts. I figure that they just reflashed the computer with the flash that's already on it and are BSing me to make me feel good. I was wrong. It's a completely different beast now. Shifts are smoother than ever, power increase on the bottom end, and it seems like my downshifts in Tow/Haul mode are more intelligent.

Now maybe I'm crazy, but I'm hoping on the Techs can tell me what they did.

#2 ·
Wow!!! That's interesting....you're telling me there are another reflash beside the 1st job1 reflash???
Can some one confirm this??

#3 ·
That's my understanding. I know for a fact that my truck came with the 400hp flash and whatever they did made a noticeable difference.

#4 ·
They did have a reflash available for a few weeks in February or early march that they have pulled. Ford keeps saying an improved version of that flash should be available soon.

I see the posibility of two things.

1st they just reflashed your truck with the current software. Kinda like re-booting your computer, reload any confused code. So you still have the same flash that you had before, but in a correct state. any time you reflash the TCM. Your tranny is going to go through a new learning curve, So it will feel different than it did as you drove it into the dealership.

2nd. You just happened to go in for service work during the week that the new flash was available before it was jerked. Since you implied your service work was done last week, I doubt this.

3rd. Ford has released a new flash . Either in a limited version that you go or something that we will here about as a general release.

#6 ·
Tap your up down button on the drive lever and it will show your indicator. I freaked out over that one too. I would like to know about this flash. I am going to call my dealer.

#8 ·
I called Ford Customer Service and they are going to have to get back to me tomorrow as the guy that know anything is out of the office. So well see what they say tomorrow. My truck has a build date of 10/15/2010 so it came with the upgrade from the factory. So what did they do? Well find out.

#9 ·
There was a guy on here that posted a while back stating ford did not unlock the trucks full potential until it was broke in.He said you could take your truck back for a flash after 5000 miles:dunno: Did anybody eles see this or know if its true

#10 ·
enjoy

Publication Date: April 27, 2011

FORD: 2011 F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550

This article supersedes TSB 11-3-23 to add additional calibration content.

ISSUE:
Some 2011 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L engine and built on or before 4/11/2011 may exhibit malfunction indicator light (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) P0401, P0402, P009A if driven at highway speeds with a snow plow attached, P164A if idled for extended periods in colder ambient temperatures, 2-3 transmission shift flares, harsh/inconsistent transmission shifting during transmission fluid warm up and tip-in events at low speeds or when coming to a stop. Refer to the Calibration Content for additional details.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and the transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 72.03 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.

NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

The Calibration Update Contains Improvement Actions And Enhancements:

DTC P0401 (exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow insufficient detected)
DTC P0402 (exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow excessive detected)
DTC P009A (intake air temperature/ambient air temperature correlation) if driven at highway speeds with a snow plow attached
False DTC P164A (O2 sensor positive current trim circuit performance [bank 1, sensor 1]) if idled for extended periods in colder ambient temperature
2-3 transmission shift flares
Harsh/inconsistent transmission shifting during transmission fluid warm up
Improved shift feel for tip-in events at low speed or when coming to a stop
Previously Released Calibration Content

Previously released calibration content included in IDS software release 69.07 and higher contained improvement actions and enhancements to address the following:

Calibration Content Vehicles Built On Or Before 11/5/2010

Delayed manual upshifts from 1st to 2nd gear when in Select Shift mode while going down a grade
Harsh/delayed 1-2 upshift and downshift
Harsh 2-3 upshift on first drive away of day after vehicle soak
DEF warning messages won't reset after refilling DEF tank with Key On Engine Running
Modified vehicles for rail applications, that will not re-engage PTO operation or speedometer inoperative after riding on the tracks with the front wheels off the ground
VSOUT signal inoperable from customer access circuits under dash
DTC P2463 or P246C (DPF restriction) and DTC P2459 (DPF regeneration frequency) - adds increased ability to perform manual regeneration at higher load values when performing system diagnostics
Calibration Content - Vehicles Built On Or Before 08/23/2010

False DTC P132B (turbocharger/supercharger boost control A performance)
False DTC P0299 (turbocharger/supercharger A under-boost condition)
False DTC P050E (cold start engine exhaust temperature too low)
False DTC P06EA (NOX sensor processor performance (bank 1, sensor 1)
DTC P249C (SCR time to closed loop) - improved diagnostics and reporting
DTC P249F (excessive time to enter closed loop DPF regeneration control) - improved diagnostics and reporting
False DTC P0884 (PCM/TCM power input signal intermittent)
DTC(s) and freeze frame data being erased in the PCM when running KOEO, KOER, Datalogger, Active Commands or any other guided diagnostics with IDS
False P0731 (gear 1 incorrect ratio)
False P0732 (gear 2 incorrect ratio)
False P0733 (gear 3 incorrect ratio)
False P0734 (gear 4 incorrect ratio)
False P0735 (gear 5 incorrect ratio)
False P0729 (gear 6 incorrect ratio)
Low speed/load engine surge
Abrupt engine shutdown feel
HP fuel pump knocking noise at idle
Delayed DEF level indication after refill event
Harsh/bumpy transmission upshifts/downshifts
Delayed/harsh transmission engagement feel between R-D and D-R shifts
Transmission gear hunting during speed control operation when climbing grades or climbing hills, particularly while towing
Erratic transmission operation after descending grades while in 1st gear
Flashes/delays of current gear indication when using SelectShift mode
Added Brake Over Accelerator (BOA) feature - reduces engine power during off-idle driving when both the accelerator and brake pedals are applied simultaneously
Added SelectShift memory feature so the SelectShift gear display comes back on whenever going back into drive if the vehicle was turned off while SelectShift mode was still activated
Added engine protection feature from overspeed when descending long grades while towing and in manual gear ranges (forces transmission upshifts at 4000 RPM)
Increased torque - during hill assist operation - (see Owner Guide for additional system operation)
PTO operational enhancements - (applicable to vehicles equipped with optional PTO)
- Automatic secondary electronic idle controller (SEIC) turns on at engine start if the switch is in the on position

- Engine coolant temperature to operate PTO lowered to -7 °C (+20 °F)

- Improved RPM control with SEIC controllers

#11 ·
What does all that mean?

#16 ·
Well I just got back from the dealer and they said my truck has the latest update,so if my truck was bought in november what gives my truck has all these tranny issues the dealer didn't do crap wanted to keep it.

#18 ·
the problem is if they havent upgraded to the latest software verzion for the scan tool it will show that there is no new updates .has to be ids level 72.03 or higher . I can tell you this i have personly done 3 -4 since this came out it is real and it is not what anyone would currently have now being it was just released . if you guy want print the tsb and bring it in to them .dont take no for an answer

#19 ·
I am one of the people who has the check engine light on most of the time. I live in the Colorado mountains, so it is probably related to the cold temp warmup. Had it in 4 times, including replacing the NOX sensor, without a fix. Last week they said a reflash is on the way, perhaps this week, so that jives with the technical bulletin. Lets hope so.

#21 ·
After reading this I called the dealer and asked if my truck was up to date. I gave them the vin# and they said yes you have no recalls on your truck. I asked if it has the new update ids 72.03 or higher. He said what the hell is ids 72.03. I'm printing this and bringing it there Monday will let you know what happens.

#22 ·
Before I got the latest reflash I asked my dealer if they could check my VIN to see if I was up to date. I was told the VIN could be used to check for outstanding recalls but in order to check for the latest flash they need to plug into the truck's ECM.

#25 ·
Maybe they did something wrong? Did you get a receipt saying they charged Ford with the 11-4-23? If not they may have not flashed it.
or you are lucy with your truck and it runs fine now.
I felt a huge difference today. With only about 65 miles on the new tune it's still learning. I spent a lot of time in M mode today because was so smooth. Before I hated M shifting because was slow shifting and downshifting was rough. 2-1 downshifts are so smooth now.
Well worth the 3 1/2 hours it took.

#29 ·
I've never heard of this "turbo fart". I just towed 18k from Ventura, CA to Salt Lake, UT with not so much as a hiccup from the motor. But I've also got the new flash on mine, so maybe.

#31 ·
Do you have a cold air intake?
What it sounds like you're hearing is turbo chatter. Is it happening only at low rpm under say 10psi o boost? Right when you lift off the gas just a little it does it? I had that happen to my old Duramax and my 09 Jetta TDI but not on my new Ford.

Maybe has to do with an egr problem. I would take it in.

#34 · (Edited)
I had mine in a week or so ago and they flashed the computer with the latest updates. My complaint was the turbo rattling. The flash improved the transmission shifting but the turbo noise is the same. I can get mine to rattle even without pulling - it sounds to me as though the waste gate is rapidly opening and closing. It is most prone to act up at low rpms in a high gear going up a slight grade with very light throttle. Mine is not related to the cruise control - at least it happens without the cruise being engaged. Mine is 100% stock.

#35 ·
I hear this noise and feel it on my pedal at 1100 rpm. Truck surges

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.