Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Honest Opinion

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  ShirtaDay.com 
#1 ·
I am helping with a build of a new brush truck for my fire company. I have done some research between the big 3 and compared them and it seems like the ford is the best option. I compaired all the trucks in the 1 ton model range. My problem is that I my self LOVE ford trucks and most of the guys on the commitie are chevy fans. So what I need is a little more help proving that the ford super duty is the best option. Since I dont have a 6.7 I want your honest input on wheather they are the best or not.

For thoes that dont know what a brush truck is look at this link to get an idea.
Brush trucks that extinguish the fires...and our competition!

#3 ·
I would agrue that first based on Chevy's having an IFS. Which is prone to breakages when used on an off-road application. The Ford solid front axle, and its heavier capacity when equiped, would be a much better platform for your application.

In my opinion, the new 6R140 is a much better transmission than Chevy's as well. Keep us posted on what they end up with.

#4 ·
:agree: the 6.7 seems like its been a good motor so far. so i say go for a 6.7. on a side note a 2011 would look bad a$$ as a brush truck

#5 ·
@mikey, i have spent 2 hrs on the phone with the owner of that company and the cool thing with them is they will ONLY build on a ford chassis. The dvds they sent me for them were crazy as well

@colo, thats some good info about the trans. I never thought of that.

#7 · (Edited)
Yeah, both have the select-shifting now, but the Ford has the better ratios for the weight of that truck. Particularly, since the brush truck needs to be capable off-road.
The following are the gears between the two transmissions
Gear - Ford - Chevy
1st - 3.97 - 3.10
2nd - 2.32 - 1.81
3rd - 1.52 - 1.41
4th - 1.15 - 1.00
5th - 0.86 - 0.71
6th - 0.67 - 0.61

#14 ·
After looking at all the pictures I want one without the "fire stuff" and just a plain bed. Only thing I wonder about is why they use blocks to lift the rear when its gonna be in some harsh off road conditions?

#18 ·
I run a large Search & Rescue team in the Sierra Nevada Mtns. (Think Donner Pass). We have a fleet of eight trucks, four of which are 2011 Chevrolet Crewcabs 4x4's. They are all equipped with Caravan Campers and an assortment of various rescue gear.

Caravan Campers

Our County is 6600 square miles and has a lot of dirt roads...When we stay in it and don't get requested by another agency. These trucks are not handling the weight well at all. Our front tire wear is poor, our alignments are constantly off, there is noticeable yaw induced while cornering and at 14k miles I believe my rotors are warped due to a shimmy under braking.

This brings us to the other four trucks in our fleet. Two F-550's (Including a brand new 2011 6.7) and two F-350's, two of which are 7.3's. I'm sure you can tell by now what we use to transport people with and what we use to transport the Pisten Bully's, Command Posts and fuel trailer for our helicopters with.

There is no comparison between the Ford's solid axle and strength compared to the IFS of the Chevrolet's. When it came time to order my new Chevrolet, I respectfully requested to just keep the old 7.3. The Fords are going to last longer with the severe duty environment that you will be using it in. With the budgets the way they are coupled with the expense of these trucks the Ford's are the only way to go in my opinion.

#19 ·
I have to agree - I've seen quite a few IFS & just general suspension related issues on the Chevy's offroad. I'm not a GM-hater in general - our H3 has been invincible thus far, the setup there is actually meant to handle heavy off-road use and the setup on the Chevy trucks is not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.