Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

how are the new 6.7's

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  4506dave 
#1 ·
hey guys just curious to know how the 6.7s are, took a run by the local ford/dodge lot. yes they sell cummins and powerstrokes on the same lot, and dmaxes across the street lol but i was wondering how the 6.7's are holding up. my fathers interested in trading his 03 cummins in for one, but he's leary about the first year engine, and the DEF and all that. he loves his 03 because he can get in and drive and he doesnt worry about chit with it. its never needed an ounce of work done to it. im just wondering how the power of it is, how it holds up in daily driving, is it like the 6.0 where you gotta "excercise" the turbo? hows the fuel mileage and hows it respond to a tune. i dont know too much about the new diesels and the emissions and whatnot. i got a 99 cummins and as probably a few of you know ive been tryin to get rid of it for a powerstroke too lol. i got like 10 threads goin talkin about a trade i lined up. any thoughts?

#2 ·
At 20,000 mi tons of power,very quite,very smooth,very refined,very comfy,17 city-20 hwy and very handsome:woot: ........0 trip to the dealership:thumb:
Can you tell I love this truck :hehe:

#10 ·
Ditto....
a little over 46,000 miles...engine is starting to sound like its loosening up. Gobs of power, from stop to giving it the juice at about any highway speed. Pick your mileage with your right foot...

Still a magnet for people who like trucks, pulls my RV well...best truck I have owned..

#5 ·
hm. i think hell spring for one for the fleet now that im thinkin about it. im gonna be outa school soon and into the workforce, and hes not gonna be givin me a truck lol but hes joining his 3 man crew with another plumbin crew so.. we might have a new 6.7 in the driveway soon. XL all work and no play :thumb:

#6 · (Edited)
Very pleased with mine so far....only 200 miles on it though.

Based on the number of posts in the "problems" forum, I think Ford did their homework on the in house 6.7. However, the motor is still very new to the market. Ford needs this motor to erase past 6.0 and 6.4 issues (both real and perceived) if they want to stay in the diesel game.

#7 ·
what was the problem with the 6.4s? other than chit mileage and crap injectors? i heard if you tuned em right they were good to go? cause i just looked at one for myself down at the lot.

#9 ·
checked some XL'S out at the commercial lot excab long bed f250, stripped is 48,500:tard: went over to the ford/ dodge lot and excab short bed xlt with some options is like 45. gonna build one on ford.com and see what the price tag comes out to be. i mean the 48k seemed high since my neighbor bought an 11 cclb 350 king ranch for 68k..

#11 ·
When I bought my truck back in December, initially I went to the ford/dodge dealership that is just north of me to look at Ram 2500's with the 6.7 CTD, after driving one and after reading nothing but bad review after bad review on them I decided I was going to look at a couple F-250's instead of buying a dodge. When the salesman took me over to the ford lot and began to talk about the new 6.7 Powerstroke, I was pretty much hooked, and after driving it the decision was made. There is also a Chevy/GMC lot just north of the Ford/Dodge dealer, but hell would have to freeze over for me to buy a Chevy.
So far I've only got 5,000 miles on my truck, and I'm nothing but happy with it. I have a few buddy's with 6.7 CTD's who say their trucks go into regen every 100-150 miles or so, I seem to only notice mine re-gening every 600ish miles. The fuel mileage has steadily gone up since the day I bought it too, I never rely on the computer, always hand calculated and with mostly city driving I'm averaging 16 mpg, and about a month ago on a trip to KC I got 19-20 mpg unloaded both ways. I do not have 1 single complaint about my truck so far.

#12 ·
what happens when the truck goes into regen mode? doesnt it drop down to idle or something? i knew the 6.4s had the fire comin out of the exhaust as a regen problem.

#13 ·
is there any way you can do a DPF and urea delete on the trucks? i know they go into limp without urea so id imagine youd have to tune them.

#14 ·
To delete the DPF you need to have a tuner. Regen is when the DPF is cleaning, the truck uses more fuel to get the EGT's ridiculously high to burn out all the crap that the DPF catches to keep the exhaust clean. As soon as I can afford it, I'm deleting all mine.. DPF/CAT/DEF system and tuning the truck with either an H&S Mini Maxx or XRT Pro

#15 ·
yeah i knew what it was, but i didnt know how it went about doing it. im gonna look into the delete kits for the 6.7

#16 ·
The trucks have plenty of power, Not a lot of need to tune or modify the engine.

As far as Delete kits. Again Why. The trucks are running very clean, the DPF and SCR and both non-events. You will hardly even notice them do their things.

Pulling trailers around town I'm getting 11.5 to 13.0 and empty highway 19-21

#18 ·
The trucks have plenty of power, Not a lot of need to tune or modify the engine.

As far as Delete kits. Again Why. The trucks are running very clean, the DPF and SCR and both non-events. You will hardly even notice them do their things.
I have to agree on that!!
I love the fact that there are no stinkin smell and the tail pipe is still silver at 20,000 mi. No mods for me.....I think :rofl:

#19 ·
Regen is no problem. It shows up on the screen periodically, but it does not have any effect on the truck as you are driving. I do not see any advantage to doing a delete, only potential warranty issues. It seems to mostly be a philosophical debate.Why bother?

#20 ·
It does use lots of fuel during regen my truck went from 19.8 to 12.7 real time mpg. It does that twice per tank about 10 min a piece. So I don't blame anyone for deleting it especially if your warranty is out.

#21 ·
I think I might hate mine. 13000km on it. Power is ok, fuel mileage is nowhere what you guys are getting. Over 3/4 of a tank in 100 miles pulling 10000lbs life time average is 11 mpg on computer and now tranny is acting up as well as the truck is starting to rattle, sounds like the doors are loose. Took it to the dealer they said can't do new ref lash to fix tranny and that the rattles are from the weather strips around back doors. Goes back next week when parts get here. I liked my 2009 Harley way better than this truck. Only reason I traded is cause the motor went at 98500 kms

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.