My Horror Story... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Smoke Eater

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to fdchief
My Horror Story...

So i buy my new 2011... im super stoked.. but i wanted a few things done to it before i took it home ie.. rims, tires, FD stuff swapped over etc... here is where the fun starts.

As im taking the truck home last night after they have had it all week i hear a small lil grinding sound... almost like when brakes are worn and the emergency clip is rubbin. i think to myself well its a new truck maybe its breakin in lets give it a lil bit. Well i take it to my shop that does all my work this morning to get my leveling kit put on. well that didnt happen, 3 lugs were cross threaded and two are locked on solid and three grown men couldnt break em loose. so i bring it back to the dealership. where i sit right now in the service lobby .

TO make a long story short kinda... here is what happened. The company that the dealership contracted to add all my stuff totally dropped the ball. the squeeking sound i heard was my RIM actually wiggling around on the hub. the studs were all bent and stripped from the rotor itself. I told them i had to have my truck back today so they pulled another super duty off the lot and are swapping out hubs as i sit here. ohh also apparently my rims needed a spacer as well they are saying because of the way the studs are tapered....... just my luck...

I guess if this is the worst thing that happens today im still having a good day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thats never good when the first time you drive it it starts giving you hell. I would check the rear lugs also to make sure the same thing isnt happening back there. Beautiful truck BTW
Old 04-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sounds like the tech at the contracted company was in too big of a hurry, trying to earn some quick $$.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Nice truck man. Hope they got you fixed up.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Premium Member

Had something similar happen on a car I had when I was younger. Took it in to get new tires put on just prior to going on a road trip with some friends. About 30 minutes into the trip after getting the car back, we noticed some weird clunking and rubbing. Finally pulled car over and noticed a lug nut was missing. Grabbed lug wrench and tightened the other 19.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Spacer huh? Were they talking about a hub centric ring as the stock wheels center on the hub and use flat lug nuts. Your aftermarket wheels probably use conical lugs and are lug centric, not hub centric.

I know a ton of people and have installed many sets of aftermarket lug centric wheels on these trucks with zero issues. Sounds to me like the tech just didn't torque the wheels properly and cross threaded a few.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:23 AM

Looks awesome, good thing you weren't hurt
Old 04-03-2011, 10:11 AM

Nice ride, so your truck would clear those tires without a level kit? I was wondering cause I wanted to get my tires and rims berfore I level it out.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Smoke Eater

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to fdchief
no it is sitting at stock height right now and it clears 35's with no issues from lock to lock on steering... the "spacer" they use was simply so conical lug nuts would snug down completely.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:53 PM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

You're nicer than me. Good looking truck. How do you like those trail grapplers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.