engine oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
engine oil

Was just wondering what engine oil everyone is using in their 6.7 and any pro's or con's would be great...thanks

Last edited by 31modified; 03-30-2011 at 05:27 AM. Reason: clarify 6.7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 06:02 AM
Premium Member

There's been a ton of oil related threads on the forum. Everybody has their opinion. The ONLY important thing with oil is to change it and change it early. I'm not saying it's required to change it early, but it's some pretty cheap insurance. Check out some of Blackstone's newsletters, they do a good job of comparing different brands of oil, and have never seen a noticeable difference between any of the comparable brands.

My opinion is this:
Buy oil from a reputable manufacturer for a good price and change the oil in your 6.7 every 5,000 miles.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have seen a few places that have special diesel oil, i.e. Shell Rotella. Is there a difference compared to regular 10w30 oil?

Also, I have been thinking about going full synthetic abut have heard you need to let the rings settle using conventional oil, then go to a blend and then go to a full syn. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Last, doesnt the new superduty tell you when to change the oil so you dont have to mess with it at 5k? I read that in the manual and wondered how that would work with a synthetic. How does the computer know that its syntehtic or not, I assume it doesnt and you would need some way to tell it was time to change the oil. Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:28 AM
Premium Member

Yes, you need to buy Diesel oil. It typically called Heavy Duty Oil. For instance; Walmart carries Rotella T conventional, synthetic blend and full synthetic, Delo 400, Mobil, Motorcraft, and their own brand. DO NOT USE REGULAR MOTOR OIL.

As far as synthetics go. I see no reason to waste money on them. Read the Blackstone reports. I would never trust my oil to go 15,000 or 20,000 miles on synthetic. Like I said earlier, changing your oil early every 5,000 miles is cheap, cheap insurance on a $15,000+ engine.

Your engine will tell you when to change the oil, but's I believe it's only based on mileage since reset.

There will be guys on here saying that they let their synthetics go for 20,000 + miles using Amsoil. I would never buy a used truck that the owner did that, no matter what. Having good oil change records is a good way to boost value on a truck when you go to sell it.

Oil breaks down over time and looses it's lubricity and protective qualities. Keep clean oil in it and your engine will thank you.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:39 AM

Yea I read in the manual its based on all kids of different things (5 to 10 areas), not just reset mileage.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:11 PM
The Warden

Probably going to go with full synthetic with this truck. With my 7.3's in the past I always used rotella 15w40 every 5000 like mor4wd said. I can't decide to put the truck on a routine or let the computer tell me.I think the computer is going to go farther than 5000 miles maybe 7500 miles,but if we change at 5000 we are assured its ok,but it will cost more.I think I'm too old school to let a computer tell me when to change the oil or just ignorant
Old 04-01-2011, 04:56 PM

I don't let the computer tell me either - I just don't change it. My Duramax got an oil change every 25000 miles or so whether it needed it or not. This one will get AmsOil synthetic and I plan on having an oil analysis done every 15000 miles.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:11 PM
The Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
I don't let the computer tell me either - I just don't change it. My Duramax got an oil change every 25000 miles or so whether it needed it or not. This one will get AmsOil synthetic and I plan on having an oil analysis done every 15000 miles.
Are you serious.Where is your duramax now
Old 04-01-2011, 05:25 PM

It has all sorts of little issues - radio doesn't, no power door locks, water pump is leaking, radiator should be replaced, transmission needs work, but the engine runs like a top. I checked the oil level about 8 months ago and it needed to be topped up - I honestly can't remember how many miles or years ago it was changed. The truck only has about 120,000 miles on it - I can only remember changing the oil three times.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
It has all sorts of little issues - radio doesn't, no power door locks, water pump is leaking, radiator should be replaced, transmission needs work, but the engine runs like a top. I checked the oil level about 8 months ago and it needed to be topped up - I honestly can't remember how many miles or years ago it was changed. The truck only has about 120,000 miles on it - I can only remember changing the oil three times.
Amsoil is awesome stuff! I wouldn't let it go that long though lol 15k is the max for me but to each their own. I run motorcraft 10w30 diesel oil in mine for warranty purposes. No problems with it at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.