Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tuxedo Black

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  67powerstroke 
#1 ·
Word on the street is the paint, along with red, were made in Japan and due to recent issues in Japan the color is no longer available. Any takers on the truth to this?

#2 ·
i highly doubt that. i can get it made at NAPA and have. i used it to paint my grill

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah, that's not true. Any paint company can get the paint formula and mix their colors together in the right quantities and create any factory car/truck color. Beautiful truck by the way. How are you liking the 6.7?

#6 ·
Really? I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't/couldn't get another company to mix their paint stateside. Any paintshop can match the paint color.

Well then, I retract my previous statement. That sucks. The tuxedo black trucks look awesome, hopefully things in Japan will get better soon. :thumb:

#7 ·
So far I love this truck. This is my first Ford and so far so good. I havny got to enjoy the beauty of it much because here in Alaska the thing stays filthy though.

#8 ·
I agree with you I don't know why they can't find a local supplier. I did a google search and it did suspend some reds also. I haven't got to enjoy my truck at all been sitting on my butt with a tore achilies tendon for two months.

#9 ·
A Contract would stop them from just getting the paint from some other company i would think :confused:

Second thoughts,Maybe the new trucks will Glow in the Dark and be an Added safety feature :welcome2::usa::hehe:

It's Really Scarry how dependent we are on other Countrys!:eek:hnoes:

I just Replaced my bearings/race and seals in my trailer and just about every part had China Printed on it :( It was even printed in the Rubber on the seals...

#10 ·
my vermillion red was built last week and i know of another black one that was built aswell. I have heard the same but i am not sure of the severity of the shortage, are they just discouraging dealers from ordering them until they get some more? I would think that if the facility couldnt supply the product that the contract could be broken fairly easily. but thats just my two cents, my red one would look cool if glows in the dark!

#12 ·
There is a pigment used in the Tuxedo Black as well as three shades of red Ford uses called Xirallic. This pigment is in short supply due to the earthquake in Japan. As far as I can learn, Japan is the only supplier of Xirallic pigment and they have not given a date when the pigment will go back into production.

Because of this shortage, Ford has stopped taking orders for these colors temporarily and will not paint vehicles these colors next week (April 4th). There is no schedule reduction of Ford vehicles being built next week, they just won't be paining Tux black and three reds colors. The vehicles built will be other color choices.

As far as getting paint mixed at NAPA and many other stores, I would say they are still in business as long as the pigment supply they depend on is solid.

I have to agree, Tuxedo Black is a very sharp color. It does not work real well out here in the desert though (solor heat and dust problems). Many people buy this color, a guy I work with is going to buy a Tuxedo Black Mustang tonight, but soon complain how hot it is and how difficult it is to keep clean looking.

#14 ·
You are correct, schillster1, the Mustang color is called "Black" and not Tuxedo Black.

BTW, my friend bought the Kona Blue color and it is very nice looking. I drove his new Mustang yesterday and these are NOT your Dad's Mustangs!!! I was very impressed with every aspect of this machine. (hauls a$$ too!!)

#15 ·
are you serious??? my mom ordered the 2011 explorer limited in tuxedo black and we just got the paper 2 days ago saying the scheduled build date was 4/11/11. we have been waiting a while, we ordered ours in february and a guy prdered his in december and as of 2 days ago when we talked to the dealer he still didnt have his. we first were told 6-8 weeks, maybe 9 because of high demand for the car and then we hear 3 to 4 months. its ridiculous how we cant make nothing ourselves but who knows

#16 ·
You might be OK Travis, the article I read said Ford was not painting Tux Black the week of the 4th. It did not say if the restriction was only one week or not but I read it to mean just one week of production for now.

Since your Mom's new ride is scheduled for the 11th and Ford sent a letter last week, they should know how much paint they have.

Another possibility is if the Ford engineers can figure a way to match Tux Black with other pigment combos. That would solve a lot of problems.

Lets just hope the Tux Black issue clears up quickly as it is bound to happen someone will need a fender painted on a very new vehicle soon.

#18 ·
so im guessing no new orders will be painted but old orders will most likely stay on schedule? well lets hope im excited to see it, its got every bell and whistle known to ford. she said she even got the fancy power rear hatch man are we americans getting lazy lol i wonder if they will put out an option for a power rear tailgate for our trucks that might be nice when your hands are full. who knows, well if anyone hears anything post up and i will do the same if i hear from my dealer

#19 ·
its complete true we got papers at the body shop i work at and gotta stock up on colors. the pigments in the colors come from japan.

#21 ·
Ford said today in a regulatory filing that the earthquake may “adversely affect” its financial condition. The automaker’s truck plant in Louisville, Kentucky, will be closed next week due to a parts shortage, Ford said today on a conference call. The factory makes F-Series pickups and the Lincoln Navigator and Ford Expedition SUVs, according to its website.
-Bloomberg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.