Might be getting a new Powerstroke... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Might be getting a new Powerstroke...

So it's about time to get a new truck.. And normally we've been totally happy with the Cummins and would've never thought we'd get anything else, except maybe a Duramax. Well now me and my dad have driven all 3 and just liked the powerstroke the best. Dodge basically looks better, it's still the same truck. Duramax hardly felt like a diesel with all the power up top and crazy defueling for shifting (have yet to drive the loaded model). But now the powerstroke had it's power instantly and down low. Lot's of compartments on the interior and extremely roomy, very well thought out interior!

Anyway, we're still working on prices for all 3 for a similar truck, and then seeing what we'll decide, but we're pretty sure gonna go with the Ford. Now for a few questions..

How well has this motor been proven?
Would you trust to void warranty at like 30-50K miles to do all the deletes?
How good is Ford's warranty usually?
What's the maintenance like on this truck, possibly vs. a Cummins?
Any recommend options to get on the truck right away?
Is there anything you would recommend putting on the truck besides gooseneck hitch and auxiliary fuel tank for lots of really heavy towing?

Our normal loads are 25-35K pounds, and our 2 6.7 Cummins have done us pretty good until now. We also put an average of 10K miles a month on the truck. Any thoughts/inputs are appreciated.. I just know Cummins pretty good already so this truck would be totally knew to me, my dad, and our driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68showngo View Post
So it's about time to get a new truck.. And normally we've been totally happy with the Cummins and would've never thought we'd get anything else, except maybe a Duramax. Well now me and my dad have driven all 3 and just liked the powerstroke the best. Dodge basically looks better, it's still the same truck. Duramax hardly felt like a diesel with all the power up top and crazy defueling for shifting (have yet to drive the loaded model). But now the powerstroke had it's power instantly and down low. Lot's of compartments on the interior and extremely roomy, very well thought out interior!

Anyway, we're still working on prices for all 3 for a similar truck, and then seeing what we'll decide, but we're pretty sure gonna go with the Ford. Now for a few questions..

How well has this motor been proven?
Would you trust to void warranty at like 30-50K miles to do all the deletes?
How good is Ford's warranty usually?
What's the maintenance like on this truck, possibly vs. a Cummins?
Any recommend options to get on the truck right away?
Is there anything you would recommend putting on the truck besides gooseneck hitch and auxiliary fuel tank for lots of really heavy towing?

Our normal loads are 25-35K pounds, and our 2 6.7 Cummins have done us pretty good until now. We also put an average of 10K miles a month on the truck. Any thoughts/inputs are appreciated.. I just know Cummins pretty good already so this truck would be totally knew to me, my dad, and our driver.
Well first off welcome to Powerstroke.org I personally really like the looks and interior of the new trucks alot. Like you said it was very well thought out. If your going to be doing alot of heavy hauling then probably your best bet is to get a dually. I dont know what your dodge was before but to be safe you might want to go with a dually. I dont think you'd have any problem voiding the warranty at 30-50k. The dpf delete will be a huge eye opener for you and your power stroke. It will literally thank you everytime you start her up. for the maintenance you'll be fine if you do it on schedule everytime or maybe a little bit earlier just to keep things well oiled etc. For the options im not really sure. I haven't really seen all the options ford has for the new 6.7's. But i definitely think your not going to regret your decision about buying a power stoke. Your gonna enjoy it everyday! I hope this helped make your decision a little easier!

Tom
Old 03-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok yeah it would definitely be the dually. We're working on trade-in quotes and prices on a nearly loaded version of all 3 and then we'll decide I guess. They do have 100K mile warranty on motor and transmission right?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Ok yeah it would definitely be the dually. We're working on trade-in quotes and prices on a nearly loaded version of all 3 and then we'll decide I guess. They do have 100K mile warranty on motor and transmission right?
Yes they do! But thats with no mods at all... Meaning DPF Delete, Chip etc. I think its 100,000 miles and 5 year coverage. Im not 100% sure on the year deal but it does have a 100,000 mile warranty. What are you looking to get a f350, f450, or f550?

Tom
Old 03-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkobes43 View Post
Yes they do! But thats with no mods at all... Meaning DPF Delete, Chip etc. I think its 100,000 miles and 5 year coverage. Im not 100% sure on the year deal but it does have a 100,000 mile warranty. What are you looking to get a f350, f450, or f550?

Tom
Yeah obviously.. lol and it would be an f350. Asked the guy at the Ford dealer what the difference was to the f450 and he said about 7 grand. From what I've heard there's like no advantage in upgrading.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Yeah obviously.. lol and it would be an f350. Asked the guy at the Ford dealer what the difference was to the f450 and he said about 7 grand. From what I've heard there's like no advantage in upgrading.
What ive heard its just beefier suspension parts. Theres probably more but im not sure.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think its 5 year 60k powertrain, 100k on motor only, I do believe your best deal will come from dodge prob 10k less.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

Driving that much in a month, I think you'll be happiest with the Ford. They did an excellent job in creature comforts. I've had all three trucks, but not a new Duramax, and the Ford is the most comfortable to ride in. 08 Dodge 3500 dually pulls great but the interior is lacking and the seat is like a rock. Ford still has the highest towing capacity. Never had any problems with warranty work. Had an 08 F250 with a couple problems and they always fix it quickly with no questions asked. A lot of it has to do with the dealer you buy it from though. Post up where you're from and ask for recommendations on dealers. The F450 has a considerable amount more towing capacity, but it's gonna suffer on fuel mileage with 4.55 rear end. Check out Ford's website and look at the videos of the Duramax vs the Superduty. I think Ford did a good job on making a fair test of fuel mileage and towing capacities. The Duramax is a great truck, but I can't justify supporting GM, plus they have IFS, which shouldn't be on a fullsize truck. There's guys on here that have put quite a few miles on their new 6.7 PS with no problems at all, just take a look at the Problems section for the 6.7. I have nothing against any of the brands but I think Ford makes the best truck.

One more thing to think about. The Duramax engineers have described their new engine as "a rubberband that's stretched really tight". Meaning they won't be able to get much more out their engine without changing the design drastically. The new Powerstroke however is at the bottom of it's potential. Once you do the deletes, and the tuners really get a grasp on this engine, I think we'll be seeing some crazy numbers.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroke11 View Post
I think its 5 year 60k powertrain, 100k on motor only, I do believe your best deal will come from dodge prob 10k less.
Yea that sounds correct.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So far we've been quoted 47,200 for a Dodge Laramie 4x4 3500 (not sure if with navigation or not), 48,500 for a Chevy Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab LTZ, 51,300 for one with navigation, and still working on the prices for a Powerstroke and a few more on the Cummins and still waiting on definite trade-in quotes from all 3 to know more of what the difference will be. Probably gonna have to trade by the end of this week or beginning of next because it'll be hitting 100K real soon..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.