Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

My 2011 Milage

5K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  ups 6.0 
#1 ·
Took a little road trip over the last few days and here are my results.

Distance Travelled
844.4 km
524.71 miles

Fuel Used
154.5 liters
40 US gal
33.99 IMP gal

Fuel Economy hand Calculated
18.3 L/100
12.85 mpg (us)
15.44 mpg (imp)

Truck computer numbers
17.4 L/100
16.23 mpg (US)... I think:tard:

Truck has 9550 kms on it. Cruise control set at 140 km/h, temps ranged from -15 to +3 celsius, 1500 to 2000 feet elevation. Truck is bone stock with a roll n lock bed cover. Hour meter had 9 hours on it for the trip, some idling and a little city stop and go traffic, but mostly hi way. Do these numbers seem on par with what most are getting with these trucks.:dunno: Its a far cry from the very high 20's I got with my 2009 when driven nice (110 km/h), and 20 average at this speed, mind you it was way far from stock.
Just a little FYI

See less See more
#3 ·
I did not check your math or the conversion from metric but what you reported seems on par considering you were operating in very cold temps.

My truck runs just a hair over 17mpg (US) in "normal" temps on empty hiway trips at 70mph. That seems to be pretty normal if you sort out the "extreme" reports that get posted.

As far as the truck's computer, , , , , they all lie. Some more than others. I think the computers are OK but the fuel flow sensors are not calibrated very accuratly. I have found my truck says it uses about 1.5 gallons (US) less than it really does and that throws the computer off. I have also found that if I stop filling the tank when the pump kicks off the computer will be closer on gallons used. If I "top off" the tank then that extra will not be measured by the computer.

Thanks for your report!!

#5 ·
I went to a Canadian Govt website and plugged in my km and liters used and this is was it gave me for numbers. I think it's still pretty low considering my 09 was getting a little better. The dealer reports that all trucks they have sold are getting 20ish mpg hand calculated and they can't and don't know where to look as fuel Milage is not a warranty item and any time spent will cost me shop labour to figure out

#6 ·
I just got back from vegas I live in bakersfield ca. My truck has Stage 2 AFE intake 35" tires 4" lift cc lb 3:31gears I can almost hit 500 miles with one tank on the freeway empty. This trip I towed a 40 foot toyhauler weekend worrior tandom axle loaded trailor alone about 16k to the nascar races in vegas I only got 260 to the tank. I kept it in cruz control 65mph almost the hole way unless I seen a highway patrol that puts me at just over 7 miles per gallon. Does that sound right?

#8 ·
That is a nice rig shirtaday!! I can see the wedge shaped front helps on fuel too.

I pull a 19 foot toy hauler that is 5900 lbs empty and usually around 7500 when we pull it. My trailer is almost 12 feet tall with square front and I get around 9.5mpg pulling it at hiway speeds 65-70.

I can also see joe 6.7's gear ratio making a lot of differance in mpg. He runs the 3.31 gears and is around the 20mpg mark empty but that ratio and 35 inch tires hurt him pulling. I have the 3.55 gear set and do around 17 empty but better loaded mpg than he does. I have the 34 inch factory tires too.

The amazing thing I like to read is where joe 6.7 says he pulls a 16k lb. trailer at hiway speed on cruise control!! These trucks have some big balls don't they?? It shouldn't be this easy to pull loads!!!! Gotta love that!!!!

#9 ·
Yeah... I'm running 35" MT's with 3.31 ratio. I figure I drive unloaded Mon - Fri and pull the TT trailer maybe 1/3 of the weekends and the boat another 1/3 of the weekends and spend the remaining 1/3 empty.

The V-nose is supposed to help. Would be curious to know how much exactly...

#10 ·
No worries 4506dave I have been consistently getting better mileage the more miles get on the truck.

the first few tanks I got around 12mpg and now I'm getting around 15mpg, hopefully it keeps going up.

Has anyone else seen this where their mileage increases with break in?

#11 ·
I have a completely stock 2011 F250 6.7 XLT and a 19' Jayco TT that weighs about 5500lbs loaded. Just completed a 5000 mile round trip from Washington State to Dallas Texas. Average of 10.8 mpg on the way down and 12.3 on the way back. Started the trip with only 2200 miles on the truck. I had hoped for better mileage and maybe it will get better as it wears in. My average solo mileage is around 20mpg. All number are via the trip computer.

#12 ·
Hey all,

I am doing some research as I am contemplating moving from my 150 to a 350, but I gotta tell ya, the mileage for towing that I have been reading is not going to do it. Last summer we pulled our 30' 5ver, ~8300# on 2 different trips, one pretty flat across the northern plains, except for the day around Mt Rushmore and the second up through the Snoqualmie Pass in WA and we were averaging 9-12 MPG depending on winds (we did see a time of 5-6 MPG w/35 MPH headwinds).

We do slow a bit on the steeper climbs, some down to 55MPH, but I dont see that as terrible.

I guess what I am saying is, can someone justify the move to a larger TV?

Other than 1 weekend / month its a daily driver. I have the 5.4 w/ 3.73 rears and to be honest, other than bragging rights and want-to, I no longer see the justification.

Please let me know if I am missing something (and yes, all towing weights are within spec for my truck).

#13 ·
I just completed a 195 mile trip today to Atlanta and back empty.The average mpg gauge is showing 18.7 mpg.The gauge is a half gallon off bringing it to 18.2.The truck is a CC SB with 3.55 gears.This is my best mileage so far.I only have about 2500 miles on the truck.Leaving Friday on a 900 mile trip and hope to do better than 18.2

#14 ·
I have a 2011 f350 6.7 super cab 3.55 rear end with 7000 miles. I get 18 to 19 regularly driving 75 on the interstate. Hooked it up this last weekend to my 28 foot fifth wheel. All the power in the world, 70 mph into 25 mph head wind but averaged 7.5 mpg on that tank. Coming home I average 9 mpg going 60 to 75. I am dissappointed in the pulling mileage. Any what are others getting? is this the norm? I read an article when these trucks were tested they got over 20 mpg on some long trips. I went 500 miles this weekend and spent $260 on fuel.

#15 ·
I have a 2011 f350 6.7 super cab 3.55 rear end with 7000 miles. I get 18 to 19 regularly driving 75 on the interstate. Hooked it up this last weekend to my 28 foot fifth wheel. All the power in the world, 70 mph into 25 mph head wind but averaged 7.5 mpg on that tank. Coming home I average 9 mpg going 60 to 75. I am dissappointed in the pulling mileage. Any what are others getting? is this the norm? I read an article when these trucks were tested they got over 20 mpg on some long trips. I went 500 miles this weekend and spent $260 on fuel.

#16 ·
2011 fuel mileage

I have a 2011 f350 6.7 super cab 3.55 rear end with 7000 miles. I get 18 to 19 regularly driving 75 on the interstate. Hooked it up this last weekend to my 28 foot fifth wheel. All the power in the world, 70 mph into 25 mph head wind but averaged 7.5 mpg on that tank. Coming home I average 9 mpg going 60 to 75. I am dissappointed in the pulling mileage. Any what are others getting? is this the norm? I read an article when these trucks were tested they got over 20 mpg on some long trips. I went 500 miles this weekend and spent $260 on fuel. Anything you can do to tune them for more mpg?

#18 ·
I have a 2011 f350 6.7 super cab 3.55 rear end with 7000 miles. I get 18 to 19 regularly driving 75 on the interstate. Hooked it up this last weekend to my 28 foot fifth wheel. All the power in the world, 70 mph into 25 mph head wind but averaged 7.5 mpg on that tank. Coming home I average 9 mpg going 60 to 75. I am dissappointed in the pulling mileage. Any what are others getting? is this the norm? I read an article when these trucks were tested they got over 20 mpg on some long trips. I went 500 miles this weekend and spent $260 on fuel. Anything you can do to tune them for more mpg?

It'll get better:nod:

Just towed this set up @17965 Lbs total and average 12.5 mpg.The trailer felt like it was 2000 lbs instead of 9000 lbs:thumb:

#17 ·
The last time I checked was when I had 4626.9 miles driven. At that point, my overall was 15.35 mpg. My best tank was 17.5 and my worst was 14.4. I haven't had a chance to haul anything yet, and most of my driving is around town.

#23 ·
i read that. if it was true i would have bought one already :hehe:

#24 ·
You have to take everything into account:

1) 17-inch wheels and a 3.31:1 axle ratio
2) Flat roads (probably with no wind that day)
3) They were trying as hard as possible to achieve high MPGs. (If you accelerate really slowly, it makes a HUGE difference.)
4) Have you tried hypermiling techniques before on your truck? It's not exactly normal driving.

And then who knows what kind of tires they used, how high the PSI was, what the temps were, etc.

#25 ·
Look at the front of the truck you can only get that dirty by drafting behind big trucks, we all know how wind kill mileage on these trucks so you can put up some big numbers by hiding out behind a big rig. I've done it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.