Anybody come from a LBZ Duramax? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anybody come from a LBZ Duramax?

IF you came to the Ford Scorpion from a LBZ Duramax, how would you compare the two? I love the Ford truck, but I am getting worried I might regret leaving my LBZ. I have spent many hours now reading about the new Ford VS Chevy, and am convinced that the new Duramax is the better package. THat being said, GM trucks fall apart around the motor/tranny at about 100k miles in my experience. The king of the hill test was very decisive, but I also don't tow 19k at 11k elevation. I have no exhaust brake on my 06 duramax, but the transmission holds it back quite well when I'm pulling my 10k fishing boat on steep, winding, coastal roads here in Northern Ca. I also do a fair amount of off road stuff (4lo over big boulders etc) when hunting and family camping/fishing so the Ford again is the better choice. How ineffective is the engine braking and is the turbo on these trucks really not up to the task of moving enough air when towing up steep grades? I just hate to spend 60k and regret it. Any real world experiences, especially between the new Powerstroke and a LBZ duramax would be very helpful. I'm not looking to start a brand war, just want honest, first hand info. THanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Each brand has pluses and minuses...some of which you've set out. If there were a Dodge dealer closer than 3 hours away, I'd probably be driving a cummins engine...that'd be my likely choice no matter what brand it was in.

That being said, I've had my truck for 3 days and don't have any pangs of regret for not getting the Dodge...except I prefer a manual tranny to haul with.

If you know the Chev falls apart at 100 k, then I'd stay away from the Chev and shop and compare the other brands.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thats kinda my deal too if there was a loaded lmm near me i would have got that over the ford but i do love my ford
Old 03-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02dura09 View Post
thats kinda my deal too if there was a loaded lmm near me i would have got that over the ford but i do love my ford
...and I ordered my truck a couple of weeks before Dodge flashed up the power on their Cummins to the Ford levels...if that had occurred before I ordered...would have been a much tougher decision to make...
Old 03-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the 2008 gmc loaded and traded for the 2011 king ranch loaded. I think the ford is better for my use, i did't want to drive the gmc if i wasn't towing. It rode rough and was noisy. I really like getting in the ford f250 it is so quit and rides like a car, i did put firestone air bags on because with anything in the bed it sat down in the rear too much. My fuel mpg on the gmc was about 1 mpg better. But i like the ford much better. john
Old 03-10-2011, 04:49 PM

2006 GMC. I liked the truck but it was under sized for my trailer. When I ordered the F-350 it was because of the features, bells and whistles that it had over the GMC.
Haven't towed yet with the new truck. But non towing mileage is less then what I got with the GMC.

Overall I like just about everything better on the Ford.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Porthole, how much less unloaded are you seeing? I currently get 15 city 17 hwy and son't want to go any less, mostly because the crappy 26 gallon tank reduces your range towing to having to stop too frequently.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:54 PM

On the highway 65-75 about 2-2.5 mpg less. But the new truck is a DRW

My average so far with the new truck is about 14.5
Old 03-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not good. I was hoping for better than what I have now considering the DEF cost.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:41 PM

if you got a srw it would be much better than that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.