Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Anybody come from a LBZ Duramax?

15K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Joe 6.7 
#1 ·
IF you came to the Ford Scorpion from a LBZ Duramax, how would you compare the two? I love the Ford truck, but I am getting worried I might regret leaving my LBZ. I have spent many hours now reading about the new Ford VS Chevy, and am convinced that the new Duramax is the better package. THat being said, GM trucks fall apart around the motor/tranny at about 100k miles in my experience. The king of the hill test was very decisive, but I also don't tow 19k at 11k elevation. I have no exhaust brake on my 06 duramax, but the transmission holds it back quite well when I'm pulling my 10k fishing boat on steep, winding, coastal roads here in Northern Ca. I also do a fair amount of off road stuff (4lo over big boulders etc) when hunting and family camping/fishing so the Ford again is the better choice. How ineffective is the engine braking and is the turbo on these trucks really not up to the task of moving enough air when towing up steep grades? I just hate to spend 60k and regret it. Any real world experiences, especially between the new Powerstroke and a LBZ duramax would be very helpful. I'm not looking to start a brand war, just want honest, first hand info. THanks in advance.

#2 ·
Each brand has pluses and minuses...some of which you've set out. If there were a Dodge dealer closer than 3 hours away, I'd probably be driving a cummins engine...that'd be my likely choice no matter what brand it was in.

That being said, I've had my truck for 3 days and don't have any pangs of regret for not getting the Dodge...except I prefer a manual tranny to haul with.

If you know the Chev falls apart at 100 k, then I'd stay away from the Chev and shop and compare the other brands.

#3 ·
thats kinda my deal too if there was a loaded lmm near me i would have got that over the ford but i do love my ford

#4 ·
...and I ordered my truck a couple of weeks before Dodge flashed up the power on their Cummins to the Ford levels...if that had occurred before I ordered...would have been a much tougher decision to make...:eek:hnoes:

#5 ·
I had the 2008 gmc loaded and traded for the 2011 king ranch loaded. I think the ford is better for my use, i did't want to drive the gmc if i wasn't towing. It rode rough and was noisy. I really like getting in the ford f250 it is so quit and rides like a car, i did put firestone air bags on because with anything in the bed it sat down in the rear too much. My fuel mpg on the gmc was about 1 mpg better. But i like the ford much better. john

#6 ·
2006 GMC. I liked the truck but it was under sized for my trailer. When I ordered the F-350 it was because of the features, bells and whistles that it had over the GMC.
Haven't towed yet with the new truck. But non towing mileage is less then what I got with the GMC.

Overall I like just about everything better on the Ford.

#13 ·
The cost of DEF is so minimal I don't even consider it to factor in. 1000 miles per gallon is pretty good. That calcs out to costing $0.50 every hundred miles, less if you get your DEF in bulk at a station.

#11 ·
I have a 250 cc sb 4x4 w/3.31 gears and 17" wheels. I get an easy 20mpg at 65-70 on the freeway 55-60 I've seen 22.5-24mpg if I drive economically. I normally drive like a mad man and hardly ever get passed on the freeway or back roads and when I do drive that way I see a solid 15.5-16.8 combined city highway. My lowest milage is always above 14.5 driving hard stop sign to stop sign around town. I've also seen 35mpg on a short drive(3.5 miles) at 35mph. Defiantly better than my straight piped lb7 with similar power numbers(it was tuned). My Dmax weighed 7200 vs my 250 at 8400. If it wasn't for the dpf and egr my milage would be nothing sort of amazing. Bla bla bla... Sorry..
Best of luck on your shopping!

#12 ·
I'm in a similar situation. I have an 08' GMC crew cab dually. The engine and tranny have been solid for 70k but it's everything around the truck that's starting to really bother me. Rattles, interior parts breaking and a rear leaf spring that the dealer can't seem to stop making a popping sound. I've had 5 Fords and one GMC. Bottom line, the Fords are better built! I have an F350 dually on order.

#14 · (Edited)
My 08 was popping when I turned onto anything off camber, (IE uphill driveway, curb etc.) but it wasn't the springs. It had something to do with the cab mounts/bushings-FYI

#16 ·
I came from an LBZ, I actually still have my LBZ also and was having the same decision problems when considering my new truck but I ended up going with the Ford and have no regrets. In my opinion the Ford interior is nicer, the trucks just look tougher, there is more room inside the cab, and it has a straight axle under it. For me the biggest thing was that I couldn’t keep the front-end together on my GMC, the steering feels a little sloppy, it has the annoying GM steering clunk, I twisted a CV in half the last time it snowed and had a wheel bearing come apart going down the road that actually separated, sheared everything off and skidded to a stop on the lower ball joint stud. Luckily nobody was around and I wasn’t towing down the freeway at 80. Performance wise I can’t really comment stock to stock because my DMax has had a long list of mods since it had 800 miles on it. I did drive a buddy of mine's new stock DMax's a few weeks ago and my Ford feels to me like it has more lower end power that seems to come on quicker where his feels much more progressive more like a gas engine. Sorry for the long reply just trying to give my input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.