Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 or 6.7

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  psbill 
#1 ·
hey need some help with a decision. sold my 2006 and am looking at a 2011 6.7 or a 2002 7.3 with 80,000 miles. i really dont us my truck exempt for camping and fishing so im leaning towards the 7.3. which one guys?

#4 ·
if you dont need the bells and whistles get the trusty ol 7.3 she wont let you down, and she will last ya. and agreed NO EMISSIONS BS!!!!

#6 ·
I sold my 2002 7.3 to buy my 6.7. They are very different trucks, HOWEVER, if you are only using it occaisionally, the 7.3 will be a better deal considering purchase price. They are pretty much bulletproof. You dont have the 6 speed auto, so it tows a little differently, and is noisier. I moved up simply because I tow horse trailers and campers constantly, so I am using the truck for what it was built for almost every day. Regular maintenence and synthetic oil are the key to a long life for a 7.3. Don't get tricked into buying a 6.0!

#7 ·
Don't fall for the 24 mpg's on the 6.7. I believe if my 2000 7.3 had a 3.55 gear
it would get better mileage than the 2011.I like both trucks:thumb:

#9 ·
80,000 miles on a 2002??? That's only 8888.8 miles a year. That thing is a baby. My '01 has over 172,000 on it. I think with that low of miles, it should last you awhile. Just take care of it. I sure love mine!

I agree, if you're going to have limited usage, the 7.3L would be an excellent choice. OTOH, there is something about driving down the road in a new shiney one! :)

#11 ·
7.3 is good 02 had most of the problems under control
And has good power price wise better off with it but the new 6.7
Is vary nice but high priced even for a base model all depends
On how full you want you pockets to be after you buy and the new
One requires urea depending on how you drive and what you are doing with it
That's an added expens 5gallon tank on itfor the urea tank the new one
Isn't a good choise for just driving around

#12 ·
I have had two 7.3's, the last one with a Banks Power Pack. It ran very strong and the mileage was great. However, the 6.7 is a rocket for a truck and the handling cannot compare to any 7.3 (modern technology) and I have no regrets.... Plus the 6 speed is a dream for hauling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.