Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Regen Fuel Mileage

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  buletbob 
#1 ·
I've had my truck since November but this is my first post. I came from an 06 dodge 5.9 so all this regen stuff is new to me. The other day i saw the regen light come on so i reset the instant mileage and set the cruise at 69 mph it got 12.4 during the cycle lasted 10 min, turn around and got on the same stretch of hwy same direction and reset instant mileage set cruise ang 19.9. Is this normal. :confused:

#2 ·
Yep. At least for me and you. My truck was going through a regen per tank initially and now the last two tanks it has been every 100 miles. Not sure what would cause that. I was on a road trip empty at interstate speeds those two tanks. I currently have a little over 8000 miles now.

#5 ·
I have about 3800 miles on my truck and have been running B20 in my truck. The only two regens I have caught were the first one at 1000 miles with petrol diesel in the tank and one at 3700miles with petrol diesel in the tank. I know that it's easy to miss a regen as the last regen I missed the screen saying "cleaning exhaust filter" but could tell when I got out of the truck at work from the exhaust temp/smell. Could it be that B20 burns off the DPF at a lower temp an does not need to actively regen as often? Or am I just missing regens? I just can't imagine having a regen every 200-400 miles. That just doesn't seem like it would be good for the engine.

#10 ·
Ive got close to 3700 miles on my truck, the first 2000 miles, it seemed like it would go into regen after every fill up. Here the last 1600 miles, it's only gone into regen once. The fuel mileage sucks while in regen, but from what I hear from my buddy who has a 2010 6.4, its ALOT better than his.

#12 ·
I had 6,500 miles on my truck when the message came on saying the DEF had 800 miles to empty. I took it to the Ford dealer and they refilled it telling me it took a full 5 gallons of DEF to re-fill. Still no oil change message (1st oil change). At 7,000 miles the a message read change oil soon. Back to the dealer with a free oil change and once again I questioned the mileage for oil change. They told me most new Ford products go about 10k between oil changes (synthetic?). I used to drive smaller Ford product for many years on long highway commutes, changing the oil every 10k and at 150k changing tappet cover gaskets there was no oil sludge on the heads. The Ford dealer assures me the computer will tell you when the oil needs changing by your driving habits. HOPE THEY ARE RIGHT...

#13 ·
I have over 11,000 miles on my truck and went through 10 gallons of def so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.