Oil to use... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil to use...

What do you guys use for oil in your trucks, if you change them at home? Ford has their name brand oil, and no doubt it's a high-grade oil, but when I'm paying my dealer sometimes in excess of $200 for a simple oil change/tire rotate, I'm thinking I could be saving a chunk by shopping around and doing it myself.

Anyone running synthetic like Mobil 1 or Amsoil? What grade oils are you running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My dealer says to use 10/30 diesel oil which is harder to find around here. I had my free oil change and they used Motorcraft synthetic blend 10/30. Walmart has Rotella synthetic blend 10/30 for 16.50 a gallon and Rotella 5/40 full synthetic for 19.50 a gallon. Either one is good for year around use. I still haven't found a good place locally to buy filters reasonably. Dieselfiltersonline.com has all of the filters available and they are reasonably priced I am leaning towards the 10/30 but may decide on the 5/40 when the time comes. With the extended intervals on oil changes the engines have the cost wouldn't prohibitive.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Is your truck a 6.7 diesel too? I've heard some say that the new diesels are supposed to have a 'higher grade' oil to meet emissions requirements, but I suspect that may be a bunch of marketing junk too so they can charge more for good oil.

I'm all for buying good oil, but not if its as expensive as gold....
Old 03-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Smile

It is a diesel and I really wanted to use 15/40 dello 400 like I always have in all of my diesels but the dealer said these new engines were different and that I should use 10/30 diesel rated oil. The owners manual says to use oil rated API service catagorie CJ4 or CJ4 SM. The advantage of the 10/30 and the 5/40 is that you can use them year around.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDeerHunta
I just switched from rotella t5 10w30 to the valv 5w40 xtreme blue full syn. What a difference motor seems to run much smoother with cold starts and is way less noisy. I would def recommend the oil. I also stick with motorcraft filters.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDeerHunta View Post
I just switched from rotella t5 10w30 to the valv 5w40 xtreme blue full syn. What a difference motor seems to run much smoother with cold starts and is way less noisy. I would def recommend the oil. I also stick with motorcraft filters.
Where to you get your motorcraft filters and how much do you pay? Orilleys and walmart here do not have them yet. The only place so far to get motorcraft filters around here is the dealer or order from dieselfilters online.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Okay. Sounds like the new 6.7 diesels don't require a different kind of oil then. Good to know.
Well, I'll probably start doing my own oil changes when I can, since the cost to have my dealer do it tends to be pretty high.
Dealer says it takes an hour to do an oil change because it takes so long for the pan to drain completely out... so no lunch-time oil changes at the dealer for me...
Old 03-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just had my first oil change as well and was asking some questions about the different types of oil.

My parts guy said that I should research the Rotella Synthetic because he thought the newer engines did not like this oil and that Ford did not recommend it. He thought it had something to do with waxing? Never heard of this!

I really do not know who or what to believe.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am going to use the Valvoline 5W-40 (blue bottle) full synthetic. Not that I need their approval, but it is Cummins endorsed right on the label. The great thing is the price. O'Reilly's can get it (not all the stores stock it) for $16.99 a gallon. That is the best price I have seen yet on a trusted (to me) brand of full synthetic oil. Had I not stumbled onto this oil, I probably would have went 10W-30 with Castrol Synthetic because I can get gallons of it from Wal-Mart for about $25 each. I like Mobil 1, but I am not paying $7 a quart for it when this truck takes 13.

I do not tow or haul, and realize the 5W-40 is the severe service oil, but I am a "belt & suspenders" type of guy and will be aggressive with my maintenance and service. My grandpa is smiling down on me, I am sure...

As far as filters go, I got the Motorcraft filter for a little over $13 each by buying 12 of them from dieselfiltersonline - Apparently the aftermarket filters are a bad idea, as every post I have ever seen says stick with the OEM, which is fine by me because I always have used the official brand filter regardless. Might pay more, but I know corners were not cut to save a buck.

Just my thoughts...

-Rob
Old 03-05-2011, 05:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I will use Amsoil once the engine is broke in a bit and change it every 20,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.