Pull or wait? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pull or wait?

The dealer called yesterday and the factory "pulled" the order for our new F350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, LB, Ulitmate Package, FX4, Chrome, Spray liner and 5th wheel package after 4 weeks form the order date. They told us 8-12 weeks?! If it arrives in 10 weeks it will be 1.5 weeks before we leave for a 2,600 mile round trip to disney w/ our 10K 5th wheel. Going to be ok to pull it w/ 150 miles +/- on the truck before the trip? Any one see their ordered truck in 4 weeks after being "pulled"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think ford recommends 500 miles before towing.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67powerstroke View Post
I think ford recommends 500 miles before towing.
Yes, they do. I would also change the oil and filter at that point.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:10 AM

The diesel and tranny are ready to pull when you get the truck. The rear end gears and the BRAKES are what need miles to "wear in".

My truck took 2k miles before the brakes were solid enough to "trust". I did pull, with extreme care, my toy hauler at 600 miles and no problems. My truck is a 250 with the vaccum assisted brakes and yours will be hydraulic assist on a 350 so that is in your favor.

If I were you, I would drive the truck around town all night if necessary to put some wear on the brakes and rear end before hooking up the rig and then drive very responsibly with the trailer going to your vacation (which sounds very nice).

The reply about changing oil is good advice too. Maybe have that done while you are there before coming home??

I think you will get along just fine as long as you remember a couple things - - - you are new to the truck and need miles to get the feel for it and you need extra room to stop "just in case".

Have a wonderful vacation!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:57 AM

I think everything mentioned was good advice. Not sure you need to change the oil, but it can't hurt - the truck does have a sensor which monitors the oil plus they have a fairly complex algorithm which will tell you when you need an oil change.

I pulled after about 1,000 miles and everything felt great - but since I was new to the truck & trailer, I was very cautious.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:15 AM

Just drive the damn thing. I think people get over worried about things. I pulled the first weekend I had mine. Granted it was only a 20' Bass Boat. A co-worker picked up his new truck at a rodeo and pulled his trailer home with it. He has yet to have a problem yet. as far as the oil change, I waited till the light came on before I took mine in to change the oil. Why deviate from the owners manual if you have a warranty to cover the damage caused by their oil change interval.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:40 AM

what utter and total stupidity. there is no need to change the oil. one of the posters even stated the its the rest of the drivetrain still breaking in, so what in h*** does that have to do with engine oil with a 5000 mile OCI recomendation fron the factory. just try to avoid full throttle with the trailer on til you have some miles on her. go out and have a really great holiday. WITH YOUR TRAILER
Old 03-02-2011, 07:44 AM

The OCI is higher than 5,000 in most cases at least. It's based on a lot of factors and your specific configuration (for example, the lower your gearing, the more frequent the OCI).
Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I never will understand the logic in extended oil change intervals. I will be changing my oil at 1000 miles and then at around each 4000 mile interval after that. An oil change is cheap insurance against an engine assembly that is upwards of as much as $17k, warranty or not. There isn't enough historical data yet on factors such as fuel dilution, etc.

I plan to literally drive this truck into the ground, and I hope I am lucky enough to see over 300,000 miles on it. Changing the oil at over 5k miles or when the computer tells you to might be ok for some, but not for me. Maybe I will "waste" a few bills on "unnecessary" intervals, but the peace of mind is worth every cent to me.

-Rob
Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 AM

I don't plan on driving the truck into the ground - probably won't get past the 5yr./125k mi extended warranty. So, as long as I follow the Ford recommended maintenance schedule, I'm good. I see no reason to spend any more money on oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.