A 6.7 You probably havent seen before... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 05:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A 6.7 You probably havent seen before...

Hey guys....I usually hang out in the 6.0 section, but the mine I work at bought a brand new ford and turned it into a man carrier. Basically they use it to bring the guys down the portal from surface to thier work areas.....It was a slow day at work and I've been itching to take a video, so I finally got around to it yesterday. The video was taken underground, so its pretty dark...The heading I took the video in is about 2 miles underground! We also have a 6.4 thats set up exactly the same way....But I like the 6.7 better....anyways, couldnt figure out how to imbed the video so heres the youtube link...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
saweet.....
Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 PM

Thanks for posting that video. Was that shot in a salt mine?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:39 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cool video.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:55 AM

Nope were a GOLD mine......Lifes pretty good for them right now with gold being around $1,400 an ounce! Its a cut and fill mine, so as they take the cuts into the ore body, they backfill them with a coarse cement type mixture, then take the cut beside it. I work in development, so my job is to drive drift down and around the main ore body and out to other ore bodies. you can sort of see the working face in that video...It was flooded with water that day thanks to my cross-shift...The ramp were working on now is going down at 15% and its been going for well over 1000 feet and has another 200 feet before we turn and continue for well over another 1000 feet at 15%.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I have no idea what you just said..... but it sounded awesome. That's a pretty cool job! I don't know if I could do it or not, but mad kuddos to you and your crew!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:00 PM

Two miles?!!! What is the temp at that depth? I got to tour the Homestake Gold Mine when it was still in operation but it only went to 8000ft. Temp was around 95degrees if memory serves me correctly. My dad worked at a shop on the 7400ft and 6500ft levels and I think he said low 90's year-round. Nice video, thanks for posting.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:10 PM

Whoa...My step-dad worked at homestake at the u/g shop too...I thought it was the 7800-7900 level...cant remember exactly.....and yeah your right....95-98 degrees...The heading I'm in is about 76 degrees according to the truck thermometer....our ventilation is never more than 100 feet away, and its blows crazy hard.....the core drillers have left us some holes in the rib that put out like 50 GPM of water thats warmer than you'd want for a bath.....so the heats there, we just havent hit it yet.......I did hear that homestake numbered thier levels by the depth they were from surface....we number ours by our elevation according to sea level....were actually under a mountain...so thats where most of the 2 miles comes from....

EDIT: our elevation accordeing to sea level is only 3910FT above sea level...

Last edited by Reverend Suede; 03-01-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:13 AM

Yes Homestake did the levels by the depth from surface. But Lead's elevation was a mile above sea level to start with, so in reality they were only 3000 below sea level. If your step dad worked there I bet my dad would know who he is, although he was the fleet mechanic on the surface until the big lay-off/shut down in 1998. Then he was moved to the shop on the 7400 level.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks for the video. It came out reasonably well. I've not had much luck with videos underground. My photos turn out spectacular though. What state is your mine in?

Love readin you guys swappin the mine stories and relations. My old man worked the gooseberry in Nevada in his early 20s before he lost his leg. Then for a while he worked for Boart Longyear in the late 90s as shop and field mech. He did a lot of work around the bigger names like Midas and Getchel and goldstrike. I love hearin all his stories. I never could seem to find the correct door to get in to mining. It was just so much easier for me to get into heavyhaul. But that still allowed me to haul to every major Nv operations for Newmont and Barrick along with dozens of smaller outfits. I loved it!! With the curiousity that developed from Dads gooseberry days, me and a partner got into exploring and assessing abandoned underground claims with documentation for historical and prosepctive purposes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.