Ready to order - F250 or F350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Ready to order - F250 or F350

I am going to order either a 2011 or 2012 (and wait till May) to replace my 08 F250 CCSB 6.4. I am undecided in the F250 or F350. There is a marginal difference in price, so I don't want to figure that into the discussion.

This truck will be my daily driver of 25 miles each way to work and then various short trips throughout the week. I tow a 12k 5th wheel a couple times per year of a few hundred to few thousand miles each trip. I tow a few smaller trailers on a somewhat regular basis that an F150 could pull. I would purchase an F150 if it wasn't for the 5th wheel.

I added Firestone air helper springs on my 08 250 because of the sag in the rear of the truck. I am removing these and probably will install them on the new truck, regardless of F250 or F350.

I understand the brakes are vacuum boost on the F250 and hydro boost on the F350. I think my F250 has hydro boost now, and I don't want to lose any braking power or safety.

The rear axle shows to be rated at about 1000 lbs higher on the F350.

I am concerned about the harsher ride and brake differences on the F350 vs the F250. Can anyone comment to either of the two concerns?

Also, any comments on the snow plow or camper packages? I might put a front end replacement on the truck at some point and the stiffer front springs might be helpful with the snow plow package. The camper package includes a rear stabilizer bar which doesn't seem to be available separately.

I plan to order tomorrow or the next day if all goes well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 06:05 PM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:11 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

I would say wait for the 2012 model. Ford should have most of the bugs worked out by then. Not that there are many, but it's safer to go with the later MY of a new drivetrain, etc...
Old 02-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I drive a 350 crew cab, I have driven 250 crew cabs, i don't think there is a noticeable difference.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the replies. Still trying to decide...
Old 02-28-2011, 06:38 AM

350 cost more to register, but i like how they sit higher then the 250. If you do put a trailer on it will level the truck rather then make it squat which is nice. Those are the only noticeable differences to me. Besides the mechanical (brakes, tow rating, springs).
Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 AM

I started by test driving a regular 250. Then a 350. Then a 250 with camper package. Then back to a regular 250. The regular 250 was the softest and seeing as how this is my daily driver (about 50 miles a day), I went with the softest ride. The difference was noticeable to me (and I was coming from an '08 F350 SRW SB).

If you're looking for ride comfort, get the regular 250. If you think you need the camper package or snowplow prep package, then just get the 350. The added height in the rear will help with the 5th wheel.

Personally, I'd get a regular 250, especially if you're going to put the bags in. Just my .02.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 AM

Is there any way to special order an F-250 SD/PS with Hydro Brake system?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEST BOSS View Post
Is there any way to special order an F-250 SD/PS with Hydro Brake system?
I don't believe that you can order this configurtation. IMO, this is the reason to go with the F350 vs the F250. Plus, when I drove a 6.7 F350 I thought that it rode very nicely even with the FX4 shocks.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:30 PM

I'm worried the F-350 won't fit in my garage since it sits a little taller than the F-250. That's what someone posted a few weeks back. Can anyone confirm this? I've got the standard size garage door.

I installed one of these on my 1996 Bronco and can tell you they work like a champ!
Hydratech Braking Systems :: Brake Assist System Listings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.