Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2011 options: navigation, rearview camera, 20s and 3.31 rear??

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bsfreefalllt 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of ordering a 2011 and had a couple of questions that I can't find the answer to...any help would be appreciated.

I'm not planning on towing very much and would like to get the best mpg and I like the 20 in rims the best. The 3.31 rearend doesn't come when you choose the 20s. Should I get the 3.55 with 20s or get the 3.31 with 18s and change to aftermarket 20s. Problem is I don't like any of the aftermarket ones I've seen. Does the 3.55 to 3.31 make a big mpg difference?

I'm planning on keeping the truck for 10-15 years. I want the rearview camera, but not the navigation (since I'm sure the navigation will crap out). Without the navigation, the rearview camera moves up to the rearview mirror...anyone have this camera option...is it worthwhile or too small?

Thanks,
Brent

#2 ·
Order the 3.31 gears, and have the dealer switch the tires for you to the 20's. It'll cost a bit, but you'll get the tires you want.

My truck is supposed to arrive on or after March 7. I ordered the rearview without the Nav. The Nav is too expensive an option. Plus it'll have you looking down into the truck interior when you should have your head up backing up...might clip your front end on something because your head was down.

Since I haven't seen the the rearview view through the rearview mirror, I can't say it it's too small or not. Having seen the view through the Nav, it's not really going to be that much bigger than the mirror.

#3 ·
I have had both rear view camera displays, navigation and rear view mirror. The navigation screen view is exponentially better in my opinion. I use my mirrors to get me started in backing up to my trailers, parking spaces and use the screen to finish off the last 10 feet or so.

#4 ·
What he said!!!

Personally....I use the navigation when traveling for POI's, fuel...etc...

#5 ·
The Nav is a great option, and having the larger screen to look at while backing up is a plus. The screen that is in the mirror is just too small in my opinion, but it is beter than nothing if you just dont want the Nav.

#6 ·
I don't know that there is a noticeable difference between the 3.31 and 3.55 rear ends, but I went with 3.31 - theory is it should be more efficient on the highway, of which I spend a good amount of time on. You can find Ford 20's on Craigslist, eBay, etc. or get aftermarket ones if you'd like.

I've had nav backup cameras in the past and they're nice. I skipped nav on this truck and got the rearview camera in the mirror. I decided that if it was too small, I'd put in an aftermarket nav unit and then i could have the backup camera in both places (mirror and nav unit). So far it's worked fine - I was able to accurately pull up to my trailer. It's a tad small and might be harder if vision starts to go, but for now it works for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.