2011 options: navigation, rearview camera, 20s and 3.31 rear?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2011 options: navigation, rearview camera, 20s and 3.31 rear??

I'm in the process of ordering a 2011 and had a couple of questions that I can't find the answer to...any help would be appreciated.

I'm not planning on towing very much and would like to get the best mpg and I like the 20 in rims the best. The 3.31 rearend doesn't come when you choose the 20s. Should I get the 3.55 with 20s or get the 3.31 with 18s and change to aftermarket 20s. Problem is I don't like any of the aftermarket ones I've seen. Does the 3.55 to 3.31 make a big mpg difference?

I'm planning on keeping the truck for 10-15 years. I want the rearview camera, but not the navigation (since I'm sure the navigation will crap out). Without the navigation, the rearview camera moves up to the rearview mirror...anyone have this camera option...is it worthwhile or too small?

Thanks,
Brent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Order the 3.31 gears, and have the dealer switch the tires for you to the 20's. It'll cost a bit, but you'll get the tires you want.

My truck is supposed to arrive on or after March 7. I ordered the rearview without the Nav. The Nav is too expensive an option. Plus it'll have you looking down into the truck interior when you should have your head up backing up...might clip your front end on something because your head was down.

Since I haven't seen the the rearview view through the rearview mirror, I can't say it it's too small or not. Having seen the view through the Nav, it's not really going to be that much bigger than the mirror.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:09 AM

I have had both rear view camera displays, navigation and rear view mirror. The navigation screen view is exponentially better in my opinion. I use my mirrors to get me started in backing up to my trailers, parking spaces and use the screen to finish off the last 10 feet or so.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
I have had both rear view camera displays, navigation and rear view mirror. The navigation screen view is exponentially better in my opinion. I use my mirrors to get me started in backing up to my trailers, parking spaces and use the screen to finish off the last 10 feet or so.
What he said!!!

Personally....I use the navigation when traveling for POI's, fuel...etc...
Old 02-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
The Nav is a great option, and having the larger screen to look at while backing up is a plus. The screen that is in the mirror is just too small in my opinion, but it is beter than nothing if you just dont want the Nav.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:09 AM

I don't know that there is a noticeable difference between the 3.31 and 3.55 rear ends, but I went with 3.31 - theory is it should be more efficient on the highway, of which I spend a good amount of time on. You can find Ford 20's on Craigslist, eBay, etc. or get aftermarket ones if you'd like.

I've had nav backup cameras in the past and they're nice. I skipped nav on this truck and got the rearview camera in the mirror. I decided that if it was too small, I'd put in an aftermarket nav unit and then i could have the backup camera in both places (mirror and nav unit). So far it's worked fine - I was able to accurately pull up to my trailer. It's a tad small and might be harder if vision starts to go, but for now it works for me.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for your help

Thanks for the opinions. I think I'll go for the 3.31, axe the nav, and do the mirror rearview camera. I can pick up the 20s afterwards

Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.