Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Hahaha...

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  scorpion 
#1 ·
Went to the dealership to get a set of fuel filters on Friday for the 6.7. they told me the factory filter in the engine compartment has three ports on them and the third port is for starting them at the factory ( I asked because the one they gave me only had two) any who... they also told me I couldn't change it because it'll airlock when I try to start it and that you have to have a special bleeder tool to change them. They wanted 200 dollars to change. Well I chanced it and did it myself and didn't have any problems. Anyone else been told this by their dealer??

#2 ·
No, but I don't have enough miles yet to warrant changing it. I'm going to look in the manual about fuel filters.

#3 ·
Page 41 and 42 of the Diesel Supplement mentions nothing about a special tool. It just tells you to purge the air from the system by cycling the key on for 30 seconds then off 6 times, just like the 08-10 trucks.

Glad to hear you didn't fall for their stupidity, you should call them on it next time you're in there.

#4 ·
I was told about the third port by a Ford tech that i know. He mentioned nothing about having to have a special tool to do this job. Your dealership was most likely lying to you to earn the $200.

#5 ·
sounds like its time for a new dealership, mine just told me that my girlfiends edge needs to have the intake cleaned with their "special" carbon reduction machine.

#6 ·
It gets better guys. I called the guy I bought the truck from ( had 6k on it when I bought It) and he said the dealership in Lincoln changed it. I told him what I found and he about **** his pants. It never got changed and he has a receipt from them for 400 dollars for changing the fuel filters! I have 13k on it now and it still had the factory filters on it. I called my dealer and told them I changed them and they told me I was full of it haha they claim its impossible

#8 ·
You should drive up there and slam the filter with the 3 ports down on the counter. Then have those bastards return the previous owners money for the supposed fuel filter change that was never done, not to mention what about possible damage done to the engine for them not doing it at the scheduled time, if that was your fault that would have voided your warrenty, what are they gonna do for you?

#9 ·
I haven't mustered up the courage to call the original dealer yet. This is how companies get bad reps. If they would just do what they said they'd do we wouldn't have to deal with this bs. I read the manual like a previous poster said.. I am taking it to my dealer today to show them its not impossible

#10 ·
Well if it were my ride, I'd call the original deal and find out how this was overlooked/not taken care of. You have proof that the factory original filter was in place still

#11 ·
I wonder if they, by chance, used a filter with three ports on it. Maybe they got a shipment of the factory filters by accident or something. This is why I always mark my filter caps with a paint marker, so I can see if they've unscrewed it.

#12 ·
Also while servicing it I found That all factory paint marks lined up on transfer case check plug and diffs. either someone is damn good at lining them back up when they did the pdi or they got overlooked as well lol they really got their 68k out of the poor guy when he bought it!

#13 ·
It all comes down to the maintenance manager and the owner of the dealership. If either one is dishonest, lazy or unqualified, particularly the maintenance manager, then there can be a lot of 'screw the customer' room available.

I've always made sure I knew the owner, managers and then on of the mechanics. The mechanic will usually tell you if the others are full of it.

Also, gas mechanics are like the polynesians who saw a man descend in a parachute and figured him to be a god...the gassers find that diesel power unit unfathomable and wonder how it can run without spark plugs.

The best dealership I ran into was a Dodge one in Rocky Mountain House, AB. They really tried hard to maintain their 5 star rating.

Time to switch dealers.

#14 ·
I agree 100% which makes this sad. The guy the partsman had me talk to was their head diesel mechanic and he had just returned from the 6.7 school and I honestly almost believed him :doh:. I mean afterall they are the ones trained on these trucks. My dad has worked with the dealer for decades when he owned his own shop and had Ford trucks and its hard to believe they would tell us something so off putting :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.