Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

5/125,000 PremiumCare or 7/200,000 Diesel Engine Care Plus

10K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  mlsjohn 
#1 ·
I traded in my 2008 F-350 on a 2011 F-250 today. I went in there set on buying a 7 yr/200,000 mile diesel engine care plus warranty for peace of mind. Had it for $2,300 (supposedly $150 over dealer cost). Was in all of the paperwork, etc.

Sat down with the finance manager to sign everything and he, over the course of 30 minutes, convinced me to get the 5 yr/125,000 mile PremiumCare warranty instead for $2,195.

Was he just trying to get a better commission or did I make the right choice? Dealer has a 7 day satisfaction guarantee so I can change my mind if need be in the next 7 days.

#2 ·
Good question...I struggled with the same thing. I have 41800 on my truck, went in at 35,090 considering a warranty and decided against throwing my money away. I bought the 200,000 on my 09, had two small issues, fuel pump, o-ring in radiator hose, both out of town ford shops. Neither was 'covered'. I traded it at 85,000 thinking the money I spent on the warranty, plus the 1200.00 in uncovered repairs was a waste. Now if I do have a problem out of warranty, I have the money set aside that I did not spend on the warranty. The other thought, this truck is more tech friendly with most components exterior the block, so Ford is not my only option. Either way its a gamble, so far I have good confidence that the design, engineering of this truck will minimize down the road major expenses...call me crazy... :tard:

Your question would be best addressed with determining how many miles you plan on driving, and the time period.

#4 ·
I purchased a 2011 on 12/14/2010 and just yesterday purchased a 5 year / 125K miles Ford bumper/bumper warranty for $ 2590.00 ...my truck is a XLT 4X4 CC 6.7L diesel....before my truck reaches 36K miles, I will purchase a 7 year / 200K miles diesel motor warranty 21 major engine componets. I put just over 40K miles a year on my truck, my last SD was a 08 and I did the same on it. When I traded the 08 for a 2011 ...I cash-out the warranty and got almost $ 700.00 back. The warranties I had on my 08....I was able to recover all the monies spent on them because of repairs that were my on the 08 SD.

#8 ·
Yes....you can cash out the balance....what you do not use....example wife totaled her 2007 GT...only 29K miles and only 2 years old. We received back almost 1K dollars....There will be over-lapping of coverages if you choose to purchase warranties. It all comes down to how long your keeping your truck and the miles you will be putting on your truck. Also I tend to pay for warranties ......it limits what I might pay for reepairs later. It did work well for me when I had the 08 SD diesel....

#10 ·
I purshased the 84/100,000 premium $100. ded. last week for $1894. from the link that is in above post. You need to fill in the email box to get a discount mailed to you as soon as you submit and later in the app select your deductable and put in your code for the discount. I only drive about 12,000 per year. I called ford before i bought and learned the only one that covers electronic, radio, nav and other items that is likely to fail is the premium plan. If you click on the link above that was posted, look at the top and select the plan to get the items covered in ea plan. i hope this helps clear up some ? john

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.