Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

my first 6.7 engine swap

22K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Jarrod B 
#1 ·
I got my dealerships first 6.7 with internal issues on friday . Cust says he was driving 35 not climbing heard a pop sound felt it on the floor . truck turned off and wouldnt restart . 2700 miles . job 1 build . Got it back to the dealership no codes in the computer coudnt figure out why it wouldnt start . motor sounded like it thew the timing belt . anyways after a lot of back and forth with ford figuire the cam is broken . No valve movement at all . Ford is replacing the complete motor assm . They wount let me tear it apart to find what happened . I'll take some pictures allong the way for you guys.

#2 ·
Troubles with the new 6.7's already :doh:

An electrician I work with keeps replacing the modules for the high beam/ signal light operations. Three of them already. Maybe the extreme cold has something to do with it. in the -30's.

#6 ·
But the 6.7's are the bestest engines ever.:tard: Eh you're located in a not so populated state. The dealers down here in Texas at least the one I have gone to have replace engines quiet a few times and not to long after the release of the truck. All engines will have some bad eggs in the cartons. I'm sure the 6.7 will be a great engine just like my 6.4.:icon_ford:

#10 · (Edited)
no timing belts but that was the best way to describe it to hotline . And they did say they had reports of cam failures in the early run motors . This truck had been setting on another dealers lot for like 5 months . it is an early build motor . i know when polaris released the 500 atv motor they had camshaft hardening issues where it would wipe the lobes right of . Took them a while to get that corrcected . Maybe ford had a simmilar issue unfortunitly i'm not allowed to tear the motor down to the cam but i'll get some pictues with the cab off and all .Like I said first 6.7 in our shop for this .I was really hoping ford would let me tear it down to the cam but they wouldnt only external inspection allowed . I geuss in a way it is faster for the customer to do whats right and replace the motor . They seem to be handleing this motor totaly diffrent than the prevouis ones .

#21 ·
I dont think this cam problem has wide reaching implications. I'll bet it only a coulpe hundred and they seem to be job 1 trucks with reletivly low mileage. so anything you get wouldnt likely have this problem just keep that in mind .

#22 ·
I'm sure the 6.7 is a great engine. The guys I know that do have them love them and they are nice and quiet that's fer sure.

#23 ·
The reason they don't want you tearing it down is that they want it back in one piece so their engineers can do a teardown and try and see what caused this issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.