Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

GPS tracking

15K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  bwillis2003 
#1 ·
I live in a very small, rural community and am freaked out right now because a neighbor's dad had his 2011 stolen last night right from his carport. I'm not sure how difficult it is to steal one of these trucks with the transponder key and all, but I'm worried at this point. I've had vehicles stolen and broken into in the past, and it absolutely sucks. His truck was a plain white Lariat 4x4 gas engine, so he thinks it was stolen because it would be harder to trace something that "plain looking".

My question is what can I do to prevent this or be able to track/know immediately if it moves. I'm not sure if the factory GPS system would be able to be traced somehow a la onstar but I need some piece of mind. What's your opinions?

It's crazy, but I'm even considering odd-ball measures like using my security cable in the bed to tie off to the pilings holding my carport up for some sort of deterrent.

#3 ·
Lojacl is not available in my location. That would have been my first choice. All the other tracking devices seem more for just that-not security. And theyre easily removed.

Is there a way to prevent or hinder a repo style truck from getting mine? Something dumb like my idea of tying off to a post? Or would it be better to back in to my carport?

#4 ·
If they're determined to get your truck, backing in won't stop them. They have those rolling jack thingies to lift the rear wheels if they need to lift your truck by the front. The best would be some sort of GPS anti-theft tracking (like Lojack). Don't know what the other alternatives are.

What about a gate to the carport? Or just try to deter them as much as possible - motion sensor lights, car alarm, etc.

Now, as a FYI, stealing a F-250 with a repo truck is a lot harder than a car, but it can still be done. And they like to do this with higher end newer cars b/c it doesn't draw that much attention and then they can disable everything in closed shop.

#7 ·
For now I'll just go with a motion detector and remote alarm. At least that gives me some kind of peace of mind. I'd like to research more and see different ways to prevent a repo-style truck from picking it up and taking off, though. Something simple that doesnt require monthly fees or huge price tags.

I dont know if the urban myths like turning you wheels completely to one side help prevent towing, but I may try it. Hell, cant hurt. Or even parking at an angle in the carport and pushing one of my bumpers up against a post to where they couldnt reach under with the forks and grab. I'm paranoid now

#13 ·
i use 2 work for a repo company here in NJ and if the driver of the tow truck is good there is nothing you can do 2 stop a self loader. i speak from experience a f450 will tow a diesel from the front so cutting ur wheels will slow them down , as they would have 2 drag the truck out if pulled in then put the truck in trans in neutral witchs takes about 10 seconds under the truck. After learning all this and the face that i can be in any locked car uin under 30 seconds i now leave the keys in my truck because if they are gonna steal it i dont want it back, but if i get it back i dont wanna pay for windows or an ignition from it being punched. THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS HAVE GOOD INSURANCE. alarm, camars chains only keep honest people away. i also speak first hand as last year my motorcycle was stolen from in front of my house, it suck and the mood it leaves u in is just plain terrible.

#11 ·
My thoughts exactly! If they want it bad enough they will get it. One of my good friends installed alarms for years and he showed me about 50 different ways around alarms. He broke into my 09 f250 in less than 30 seconds. Personally if my truck gets stolen i dont want it back. It just feels tainted after that! Just IMO!

#10 ·
Motion sensor lights are nice deterrent, if the person is scared of being seen. Something that makes noise is even better. However, if the light is low enough to be reached from the ground...make sure it is a halogen, not something with a screw-in bulb. My car was broken into by the neighbor kid about two years ago, he unscrewed the bulbs from my motion light. Replaced it with a 500watt halogen:thumb: Havn't had a problem since.

#20 · (Edited)
I got the GTU 10 today and so far it looks awesome. This is exactly the device I was wanting. Set up is super easy and fast, and I already have it hidden in the truck to where it always has a clear view of the sky. I highly recommend this to anyone looking to keep tabs on anything, really.

Things I like:
Small and portable. Included cases, clips, and adhesive let you mount it to anything and easily use it somewhere else.
No monthly fees. Purchase and youre good to go
Ability to track anytime, anywhere. No charges associated with such.
Handy iphone app lets you set up geofences fast and easy. Unit rests when in the fences to extend battery life
Geofences let you set up notifications if the GPS enters/exits and you can get it on text, email, or both
Also sends text,email, or both if someone turns the unit off.

Cons:
Battery life could always be better. I set it to track at 15 min intervals when not in a geofence. This gives me 4 weeks standby/ 10 days tracking. But, any GPS battery life could be better. I cant complain, especially since its easy to charge.
Wish it didnt need such a direct line-of-sight to the sky. I would have liked to hide it better, but it really needs to see.

I think thats about it. I ordered another one for my wife's car. you can put them all in the one app on your phone so you can see everything real time. The app is awesome, and I love the fact that everything is controlled by it (or on the computer) so that no one but you can mess with your settings (like if thieves got their hands on the GPS itself)

Sorry for the rant, I'm just pretty excited that I can finally have some peace of mind. I know that if someone wants your car or wants something in it, not much is going to stop them. But at least now with my motion detectors and the GPS tracking that instantly tells me if the truck leaves the geofence, I should be able to keep tabs as much as humanly possible

#22 ·
Nice buy!

Sorry to burst your bubble...but the first year is free, then it's $50 per after that.:dunno:...at least that's what the review sites are saying about it.

#24 ·
Phew...glad to know I didn't burst a bubble.

I've got the SPOT device and it's about the same cost each year. It's not quite as small and it can be used to have help come find you.

#26 ·
Wouldn't the same thing happen if they were dragging the rear wheels?

You might also want to look into something like this

Ravelco Anti Theft Device

#29 ·
Where did you hide it? Couldnt imagine where to hide it, and it be able to have a direct line of sight. Im getting a Viper 5902 and am looking at getting a gps tracker. Lo Jack is nice but $700 for 2 years....too expensive.

#30 ·
Now you have me paranoid! My truck is at home with my wife...and I'm sitting here in Afghan worried about my truck! EEEK! At least she knows how to use the best anti-theft...45APC! lol not really, my heart would be crushed if my truck was stolen, I would more than likely cry, aside from the fact that I have a BTS tranny to put in lol. BUT anyway off subject....

LoJack I don't think is worth it. They do not owe you anything if they 'locate' your vehicle. Unfortunately if they locate it outside of the US (like me in SO-Cal for the time being) I read some nasty statistic that 90% are stolen then driven straight across the boarder, they 'located' just unable to retrieve. Are you still happy with your product? Can you get an antenna to remote locate? I would ask for pics but that would pretty much defy the entire point of the system, and for that I understand, classified UTS! lol. Anyways hope your happy with it! now I'm going to look into it!

~Phil

#31 ·
I use a CalAmp 2610 Modem connected to Agilis Vehicle Monitoring System. I track my truck at 15 second intervals and I can remote kill the engine and even determine when the vehicle is being started.

#33 ·
Wow...how much for all that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.