Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

To Buy or Not to Buy 2011?

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  reinaldo 
#1 ·
So I have a 2011 F-250 sitting in my driveway. Hard loaded Lariat. Dealer let me borrow it back on Thursday night. I drove it to/from work on Friday and to run errands, etc.

The main reason I was thinking of stepping up from my current '08 to an '11 was the increased fuel economy. I was hoping the fuel savings would offset the payment difference. I kept hearing stories of these amazing numbers, but in reality, I only got 15.5 mpg... And I was pretty light on the truck.

I love the new vehicle smell, but I found a few problems with this 2011 as well:

1. It seems to have a surging problem in stop & go traffic. Several times I stepped on the gas to accelerate (from 5 - 20 mph) to change lanes and I got the normal turbo lag, then it picked up, but then when I took my foot off the gas, it kept accelerating for 1 - 3 seconds. I talked to another dealer and they said the truck needs to be reflashed? Is this a common problem? Almost caused the grill to be in the backseat of the car in front of me.

2. This truck seems a lot more jittery over small bumps. It's smoother over the large ones, like potholes, but it's way more jittery over little imperfections in the road. I have a F350 SRW SB. This is a F250 SB w/ camper package & FX4. Could the FX4 or Camper package be causing this?

There's a lot of things I like about the new truck, just want to make the right decision and hoping to get some feedback from y'all who have 2011's.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have 5500 miles on my 2011 and have experienced none of the problems that you describe. No obvious turbo lag or any symptoms thereof. I have size 12 shoes and I have noticed when wearing large boots I have accidentally hit the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal at the same time. That's just big footed me and after a few times I have been very careful. I had a 2001 7.3 purchased new and was hesitant to get 2011. Bottom line -- no regrets at all.

#3 ·
I had some of the same issues with my 2011 F250 KR. I took the truck back to dealer around 4500 miles to see if I had all the updates, especially the one for the transmission. I didn't as my Job 1 truck did not receive the update. Since the update, my truck and transmission are smooth as silk.

Overall, I am averaging 16.2 mpg (calculated) for the first 5500 miles. I drive around the Houston area mostly and one tank towing. If I can avoid stop and go in traffic and keep the speed around 68 mph, I believe I can get over 19 mpg. Unfortunately there is no such thing in Houston.

#4 ·
Op I have noticed the same thing revving the engine in park and in drive. Doesn't really bother me though just something to get used to. I made a post about it with not many responses. I do love my truck though. Wouldn't drive anything else.

#5 ·
If fuel mileage is your concern, save yourself 15-20 grand and call Mike from KEM Performance.
Get the complete delete kit and the 345 tune, and you will increase power by 80+% while increasing fuel mileage by 50%.

If yo want a new truck, I personally would wait for the 2012.

#9 ·
I am interested to hear what if any updates will come in 2012.

#10 ·
F-250 2011

If you're going to ask me, I will go for the 2011 F-250 because as what you have said, it has a better fuel economy and of course there will be lot of changes and improvements in the vehicle itself which will make it more convenient and fun to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.