Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Snow chains

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  mrock 
#1 ·
I never thought I would need them in Arkansas but we keep getting pounded with snow / ice and the hills of NW Arkansas can get slick. I haven't had any issues yet, but it would be nice to have a set of chains. Anyone running chains on the stock 20's with Michelins? If so, what did you get and where did you get them?

Thanks.

#4 ·
Yep... Pretty much the same here.... Unless you are off-roading in the snow.... I don't know anyone that uses chains on their 4x4 in the winter.

Better tires will help way more than chains, as chains will limit your speed and distance.

Now, if you are planning on pulling people out of the snow, chains might come in handy, lol! :rofl:

#5 ·
Being north of 60, the only time I've ever considered chains is when the truck slid off the road and chains would have made getting out of the ditch so much easier. A few times, chains would have been nice to have to pull some one out of the ditch from an ice covered road.:bump:

I run with good snow tires from January to April. The rest of the time, I have 'true' all season tires with an all season tread. I suggest good aggressive treaded all season tires because you'll likely be driving through heavy snow over warm unfrozen ground.

-40 winter driving on icy roads is relatively worry free, the ice gets sticky at that temperature.:woot:

#6 ·
With Global Warming, the poles magnetic fields trading places, Arkansas could be the new location for a ski resort....:rofl:
If so, studded tires are the way to go!!! I bought a set last year running snow/icy roads in N Cal last year. CPH/Checkpoints at 'chain required checkpoints ' waved you right through. That and a little experience driving on snow, packed snow and you can go anywhere except where you don't need to. At that point, a nice pair of snowshoes will get the job done.:thumb:

Chains....:thud:

#8 ·
Check out Vulcan Tire Sales - Tires, Tire Chains, Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPMS), and More... Falken - Goodyear - Yokohama - Pirelli - Kumho - Dean - RV Tires and more... for a good set of chains if you feel you need them. I've just ordered/received 3 new sets(personal truck & trailer) and they are much better than the sets from tirechains.com. At work, we just received 9 new sets for our med units( to replace the ones that were destroyed 2 weeks ago) and they too are better construction than the previous ones. Studded tires are illegal here and the two adjoining states so we have to use chains. If you order, make sure you get the "S class" for clearance of the wheel wells.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.