Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Towing with the 6.7

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Haulinbass02 
#1 ·
Not to stir the hornets nest, but I'm doing A LOT of research in my quest to get the best truck for my money (since the damn things cost so much). Dodge is out of the question. I've been looking a lot at the Duramax, I've had an LB7 and LBZ but the LML looks pretty sweet. They seem to be having some DEF issues and a lot of other minor things that Ford has seemed to NOT have so that is a ding or two on them.
The Ford was actually my first choice just because I'm tired of driving Chevys and wanted to try something different. The 6.7 appears to have the least amount of issues of either brand and as far as reliablity goes doesn't seem to leave you stranded as the Chevy will with the still unsolved DEF problem. As far as the truck interiors go, they both are roomy and will do what I need. I like the way the Ford looks. I have yet to drive either truck but I like the taller stance and the fact that the Ford has a SFA.
My question and dilemma is this. I hate to use the "tow tests" I've read in several publications, but the Chevy seems to be better in this area. I've talked to several people who own the Ford and will admit that their buddies Dmax will tow circles around them, but still claim that the Ford is a good, stable, capable towing platform. While all this may be good and true, my concern is with the high altitude towing that I've heard mentioned is an issue with the Ford and the turbo. I'm not too concerned with a few miles per hour or couple of minutes difference to the top of a hill. I just care about getting there safely and effeciently.
Does the Ford really lack in higher altitude towing capability or is this just some rhetoric from people who have not a clue? Yes I live in Texas but yes I frequently go to the mountains with 14k in tow so this is a concern for me. Is this altiitude issue a non issue or is there some improvement that is needed with the Ford? I'd rather buy it based on the DEF problem with Chevy, seems they forgot to check that little bugger out completely before production. Sorry for the long post.

See less See more
#2 ·
i live at 5k and tow regularly up to 9k....truck tows my 6k load faster than i can take the corners with it safely, and i don't have it floored to do it...average 11-12 towing a 30ft trailer weighing 6k...i too weighed the chev vs the ford....the chev does indeed feel faster on acceleration (empty), my friend has one and does have more egr cycles/problems than i have....i do a fair amount of off-road travel in mud and snow, the ford has better ground clearance, chev has that def tank that hangs down below the frame that hangs up on stuff, i was worried about that...i think that both are good trucks, but for me, the pluses for the ford out weighed the ones for the chev..

#3 ·
I'm beginning to think that the pluses of the Ford are heavier than they are with the Chevy. I wish I could "borrow" each truck for a tow with my 5er for a week, that is really what a test drive should be. You only get half of the test when you do a ride with the dealer, I care more about the towing than the unloaded drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.