Should I buy the 2011 Diesel???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I buy the 2011 Diesel????

I currently have a 2009 F150 Platinum that I drive about 30,000 miles a year, about 10,000 of those are pulling a 8,000 lb trailer through the VA and PA mountains. It does the job with minimal crying, but I frankly want a truck that laughs at that weight instead of crying. Dealers in N. VA are begging for used F150's to sell and I am eligible for Xplan pricing. I am wondering if the extra maintenance, which I have no idea what that might be, is worth trading up for my gas F150?! I recently went to the DC auto show and have looked at the Dodge, the Chevy and the GMC and can tell you that if I buy another truck, it will be the Ford. Thanks in advance for your input.

Eric Ettare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i wouldnt hesitate trading up from your F150 to the new 2011 SD... your going to love that truck more than you love your current truck...

-Raul
Old 02-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
i wouldnt hesitate trading up from your F150 to the new 2011 SD... your going to love that truck more than you love your current truck...

-Raul
Thanks for the confidence boost Raul. What might I expect maintenance to be like based on 30,000 miles a year? Is it a pain in the A$$?

Thanks,

Eric Ettare
Old 02-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If I had to go but a new truck today it would be a 2011 SD all the way.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just a side note, I used my 1999 powerstroke to pull trailers loaded with roofing debris. I was out of town and a friend had to pull a trailer away from his house. He hooked on with his 'tough' suburban, could not budge it. He hooked onto the front of the suburban with a pickup and they pulled the trailer out. He then called me and said I know why you have a diesel. The 7.3 if I recall was about 400 lbs of torque. The 6.7 has about double the torque. I pulled an 8500 lb tt to Montana from Mississippi doing 75-85 mph up passes, bucking a headwind.

6.7 (You have a monster radiatior, tranny cooler, things a gasser needs help with) Maintainance...there is no tune up, no spark plugs, no wires... there are fuel filters, oil changes...def. Personally, these are expenses that to me that are more than a five quart oil change, but the payoff is worth it.

....and if you like to play, that torque will scrub the rubber off your tires!!!

I now pull a 15,800 lb (empty weight) fifth wheel with relative ease,
Old 02-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

These trucks are awesome but unless you're just flush with CASH, I would keep your F150. 8,000lbs is nothing. That is Tundra style. If you don't haul anything heavy, save your $$$. Don't get a payment for a new truck. Only buy if you have the CASH to pay for it. Otherwise, you cannot afford a new truck, even if you can afford the payment. You're welcome Dave Ramsey.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Fuel tank is bigger.
It takes more oil.
Filters are more expensive.
There is UREA that has to be refilled.
Tires are probably more expensive due to their load rating.
There are two batteries.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 PM

You may not need the diesel with that weight, maybe an 11 F150 (with the bad-azz ecoboost engine)

SuperCrutyPS has a point, plus diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline.
I'm not saying "don't get a diesel"

But it just doesn't justify the price tag if you do light hauling - unless if you have deep pockets and can afford it all.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i think i agree with Jimmy.... im debating on getting a new 6.7L or a new eco boost Raptor Crew Cab....
Old 02-04-2011, 06:00 PM

Keep the f150. I came from a 09 FX4 F150 and miss it every day. Ok so I dont miss the underpowered 5.4 but the 150 has way more interior room (crew cab) and the steering wheel is actually attached to the tires (where as the Superduty just floats back and forth as the truck chooses where it wants to go). The power is awesome in the superduty though but over all the technology updates have defiently went into the f150 line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.